Who stays who goes?

My Opinion and I thought Dorsal was wanting out for what it’s worth

Caldwell - Stays
Hately - Goes
Cumming - Stays
Langdon - Goes
Cameron - Stays
Shaw - Retires
Williams - Goes (though really really really want to be wrong)
O’Halloran - Goes
Lloyd - Goes

And our rookie list

Sheridan - Stays
Sproule - goes
Mumford - Retires
Stein - Stays
Buckley - Goes
Brown - Stays
Reid - Stays

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Manchester City, Collingwood AFLW
Caldwell - Goes
Hately - Goes
Cumming - Stays
Langdon - Goes
Cameron - Stays
Shaw - Retires
Williams - Goes
O’Halloran - Stays
Lloyd - Stays

Sheridan - goes
Sproule - goes
Mumford - Retires
Stein - Stays
Buckley - Stays
Brown - Stays
Reid - Stays

Mar 8, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
LA Angels
I reckon Langdon would be a big shot of getting picked up by another club should he not be renewed.

A great debut 2018, injury ruined his 2019 and looked great this pre-season, rd 1 etc. Then post the Covid delay he looks to have lost a lot of rhythm and confidence and been in and out of the team.

If you're backing guys like Cameron and Coniglio to bounce back hard in 2021 then it's reasonable to think Langdon could do similar.

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
I reckon Langdon would be a big shot of getting picked up by another club should he not be renewed.

A great debut 2018, injury ruined his 2019 and looked great this pre-season, rd 1 etc. Then post the Covid delay he looks to have lost a lot of rhythm and confidence and been in and out of the team.

If you're backing guys like Cameron and Coniglio to bounce back hard in 2021 then it's reasonable to think Langdon could do similar.
I think comparing Cameron and Coniglio to Langdon is a weird way to try and reinforce that Langdon could bounce back. Top of their game Cameron is a Coleman Medal potential forward and Cogs is an AA contender, Langdon has played one good season when the position he played was depleted at the club.
I agree in a sense that he could be a useful pick up for another club though, personally think Collingwood or Carlton should look at him

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS

Bobby is ahead everywhere but his tank, and that’s improving every week.

Wish him all the best but don’t see how he gets back into the best 22 for us at our best.

I don't think it's a knock on him, it's just that he doesn't really provide us anything that we can't get from either Daniels, Lloyd and Hill and they probably do the things Langdon can do but better.

Langdon is a very serviceable depth player for us.
If he is prepared to be that for us, we should keep him, if another club values him at more than that, good luck to him, he should accept that offer and move on.
Lloyd the same. We probably don't need both, but would keep both if easily done. If it as our choice, and we can only have 1, Id probably have Lloyd ahead. I dont think it will be our choice, if another club sees either as best 22, they'll go and be best 22 with the corresponding remuneration.
Whether either or both of these 2 stay or go will be fully dependent on where other clubs rate them. If no one comes knocking they stay with us at near minimum.

Giant Pete

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 17, 2013
AFL Club
GWS
Corr, Hately, Williams, Mumford, Shaw, Sheridan all to go imo.
Btw I would love Williams to stay I just think the offers he’ll get will be way too good to refuse.
That would net us two second rounders and a first rounder.

Ichabod Noodle

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 13, 2011
The Riff
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Raiders, Brumbies
And Jumper No. 11 claims another victim.

6 owners in 9 season for 56 games total - factor in Jack Hombsche in 2011 and it’s 7 owners in 10 years.

Cursed.

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Who stays who goes?

Caldwell - Hope he stays, think he goes - need to get decent trade value for him if so!
Hately - Goes
Cumming - Stays
Langdon - Stays
Cameron - Really not sure now, hope he stays
Shaw - Retires
Williams - Goes (though really really really want to be wrong)
O’Halloran - Stays
Lloyd - Stays

And our rookie list

Sheridan - Gone
Sproule - Goes
Mumford - Retires
Stein - Stays
Buckley - Stays
Brown - Stays
Reid - Stays

Some guys will stay because they are cheap.

Corr’s departure would give us another $400000 - $500000 to use for any of our other priorities.

We should've advised him he is free to leave but we will match and work out a trade as will likely be more beneficial to us

Surely that’s enough to Get Jezza and Williams over the line. Hope.
I would hate to use that just to throw at them for the sake of keeping them

Not saying i don't want both to stay but we are still not settled with our forward line we now have 4 talls and Jezza is not playing 1 of 2 key positions

Set up needs to be fixed or will still have the same issues as this season

Zac is being offered a lot more else where / which is overs but can potentially be a great buy but for us to push towards 800+ is extreme

We should've advised him he is free to leave but we will match and work out a trade as will likely be more beneficial to us

That is very rarely done for a bunch of reasons:
  • Generally the contract offer from the other club is sufficient that the original team can't or won't match.
  • There's a risk of the offering club not trading.
    • These contract offers are made in the context of not giving up draft assets, so the original team would end up with a disgruntled player on their list if he accepts the offer or could lose the player for nothing if he walks to the draft.
It's cleaner and easier to move on. The only exceptions I can think of is Dangerfield, where the Cats couldn't offer anything near as much as the Crows and he was already a star, and a few miscellaneous players where the offering club didn't want to affect incoming free agent compensation.

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
On his reported contract we should be getting Band 2, so North would have to give us one of their first rounders for it to be more beneficial for us

Mar 8, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
LA Angels
All good in theory - if he wasn't a free agent.

There should be a lot more of what you describe though for contracted players wanting out. The club holding the contract should be able to send them wherever generates the best return for the club.

gee whiz giant

All Australian
Mar 3, 2014
CBR
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
the Toffees, the Bays.
Rating the crop of last 2 years draftees, I'd go
1 Ash
2 Green
3 Hill
4 Riccardi
5 Idun
6 Caldwell
7 Hately.

Three haven't done enough to warrant rating, O"halloran, Hutchesson, Briggs.

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Rating the crop of last 2 years draftees, I'd go
1 Ash
2 Green
3 Hill
4 Riccardi
5 Idun
6 Caldwell
7 Hately.

Three haven't done enough to warrant rating, O"halloran, Hutchesson, Briggs.
Idun seriously above Caldwell and Hately? I know they're rumoured to leave but lets not be ridiculous

Back