List Mgmt. 2020 List Management: Contracts, Trading, Drafting, Academy

Remove this Banner Ad

If Isaac Smith is gettable I'd love for us to have a look, seems like he'd be on that 350kish and comes from that fabled peak Hawks team, having a guy like that at the club even without the onfield benefit is huge

If Isaac Smith is gettable I'd love for us to have a look, seems like he'd be on that 350kish and comes from that fabled peak Hawks team, having a guy like that at the club even without the onfield benefit is huge
Great shout. Although at 32 it might be time for him to hang them up

Great shout. Although at 32 it might be time for him to hang them up
I feel like Smiths' style means he could last longer than a typical midfielder. In no way do I mean this as a criticism but his bruise free endurance based style should mean he doesn't have a sharp decline unless he gets injured

I like the idea of Isaac Smith - obviously a great talent, and would bring a great degree of experience and professionalism. My only worry would be at his age that we would be using a list spot and $ on someone slowing down & the back end of their career and hence preventing on of our own junior players to have a crack. Bit like Stevie J - really good his first year but poor the second year and blocked others in having that spot in the team.

I'm not a fan of Polec - always thought he was overrated at Port and flabbergasted at his trade and contract $ to Norths; what we've seen this year is sorta what I expected! The lack of two way running is the killer for me.

Tom Phillips could be an alternative wing option - not that I really expect we are chasing anyone. His disposal is a bit of a worry, although statistically it's actually better than Polec's, but the great advantage he would bring would be that he's a great two-way runner. Having he and Lachie on opposite wings would be tactically useful. Collingwood seem to be shopping him to save salary cap space, but I really don't expect he'd want to come to Sydney even if he does leave Pies.

And that's part of the problem - always easy to say ''oh, I'd love to get player X'', but how many of them are willing to leave Melbourne to come to Sydney?

On other things, bit of chat about Witherden being expendable. Also Lions interested in O'Halloran, although I'm not sure why with their line up. While I think we would be rank outsiders to grab Witherden, the only possible leverage could be a swap of the two players.

On talls, there's also been a bit of chat about Nathan Broad being squeezed out of the Tigers - mainly in relation to a potential swap to Gold Coast for someone like 2MP. He would be another player I'd think about - whether he fits in that Corr role, or even more of the Shaw-style role. Not the worst player going around and coming from the professional and successful set-up at Richmond might be helpful to us.

However, I expect most of these musings will come to nought and the club isn't even really chasing any trades but focussing on the draft.

Last edited:
I feel like Smiths' style means he could last longer than a typical midfielder. In no way do I mean this as a criticism but his bruise free endurance based style should mean he doesn't have a sharp decline unless he gets injured
That sort of player can go backwards in a hurry if they lose a bit of speed.
If they don't, they as you say, it suits longevity due to less wear and tear.

That sort of player can go backwards in a hurry if they lose a bit of speed.
If they don't, they as you say, it suits longevity due to less wear and tear.
I agree that generally speed is a big factor but Smith isn't someone I see as particularly fast regardless, to be fair I haven't watched a whole heap of him this year so it may be something he's started relying on

Haven't read through the whole thread so apologies if this has been answered, but have there been any whispers of players heading to GWS this off season?

What does GWS need most? A ruckman? It doesn't look like you guys need much from the outside.

I reckon a few players looking for new homes would be stupid not to look at GWS if the option is there.

Haven't read through the whole thread so apologies if this has been answered, but have there been any whispers of players heading to GWS this off season?

What does GWS need most? A ruckman? It doesn't look like you guys need much from the outside.

I reckon a few players looking for new homes would be stupid not to look at GWS if the option is there.
Preuss is our only media link but there's a few clubs interested in him with presumably more cap space, so it's likely we don't see any players coming in if nothing changes.

Preuss is our only media link but there's a few clubs interested in him with presumably more cap space, so it's likely we don't see any players coming in if nothing changes.
That could be a good move. I know he hasn't had a great run at it being behind the rucks he has played with, but he could flourish at the giants.

Reckon the Giants have any use for Broad?

That could be a good move. I know he hasn't had a great run at it being behind the rucks he has played with, but he could flourish at the giants.

Reckon the Giants have any use for Broad?
A Broad type would be good, probably a like for like with Corr but a better user of the footy, I doubt we'd be any shot though given Gold Coast are offering good coin. If you're handing out Tigers players I'd take Baker and a fit Soldo though

A Broad type would be good, probably a like for like with Corr but a better user of the footy, I doubt we'd be any shot though given Gold Coast are offering good coin. If you're handing out Tigers players I'd take Baker and a fit Soldo though
Ideally I'd like to keep all three, but the noise around Broad is getting pretty loud. Wouldn't mind him landing at GC, I like them and Ellis is there, but selfishly I'd rather him go to a club that will be pushing for a flag next year.

We've got a 213cm player in the works so maybe once he's up and running we can talk about Soldo and his beautiful moustache. As for Baker? He'll die a tiger.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A centre square player who can be damaging with their disposal out of stoppages.

Unfortunately pretty much all of Taranto, Coniglio, Hopper, De Boer and to a lesser extent Ward are butchers of the footy.
Tom Green isn’t a bad kick. Better yet, he wins the ball in close and puts it into the hands of players in good position and with time to kick better.
Much of the butchery from our mids is due to all the pressure they’re under when kicking. Too often they didn’t work hard enough for each other this season, nor did the chaotic forward setup make it easy to find targets.
Hopefully some system tweaks will help them all in 2021. I don’t hold too much hope for improved disposal from De Boer, but I do for all the others.
Toby, Hill and Daniels might get more time in the middle. Will be interesting to see if it happens and how they go.

A centre square player who can be damaging with their disposal out of stoppages.

Unfortunately pretty much all of Taranto, Coniglio, Hopper, De Boer and to a lesser extent Ward are butchers of the footy.
I don't mind Taranto's disposal when he's got a bit of space, but too often is he having to do the in and under stuff which means the best we get to see is a hack kick forward or a handball to a s**t user. I'd hoped Caldwell would be the type you're describing we need but looks like he's already got a ST Kilda jumper on. A left field trade I wouldn't mind to get a good user in the middle would be Hopper for Florent, probably some picks exchanged as well but with Sydney's need for a Kennedy replacement/ someone to assist him it makes sense to me. TT and Florent are ex sandy team mates as well so that's something

Preuss leaving Melbourne. Surely we are in the mix here

Edmund is also reporting that GWS will retain veteran ruckman Shane Mumford as a back up option for the 2021 season.

Ffs seriously?

Love mummy but he has reached his limit.

The Flynn and Briggs aren’t ready to at least have a go it’s time to look elsewhere big time.

Yep, love the Mummy and what he's done for the team ... especially those early few years ... but even last year helped drag us over the line against Collingwood in how he played Brodie Grundy. Time to let go though - really thought it was deficient of our match committee not to even give Flynn a single game this year just to see how he was tracking. Need to do so next year.

Depending on list sizes and TPP, you could argue that having Mummy on the list (possibly as a Cat A rookie if there remains a couple) but essentially used as a coach and 'break glass in case of emergency' player is acceptable. But we shouldn't be playing him in first grade. At all. Except if every ruck is down.

You need to have breakaway speed to be that type of player. Very few inside mids in the league are like that. Hard to kick the ball at good efficiency with opponents hanging off you.

As long as GWS are in the mix ... and win out in the end at not too huge a cost.

But I note we're planning to retain Mummy 'just in case'!
If we get pruess and retain Mummy, that is a concession you dont think particuarly Flynn isn't good enough, and to a less extent (due to age) Briggs. If that is the case, we need to cut them loose.
If the plan is Flynn (or Briggs) and Mummy essentially the ruck coach and 3rd in line, well I can live with that.

If we get pruess and retain Mummy, that is a concession you dont think particuarly Flynn isn't good enough, and to a less extent (due to age) Briggs. If that is the case, we need to cut them loose.
If the plan is Flynn (or Briggs) and Mummy essentially the ruck coach and 3rd in line, well I can live with that.
I'd be super shitty if Mumford stays on and we trade in Preuss, 4 rucks and Flynn/ Briggs get no closer to 1st team footy. I agree that it'd be conceding we don't have faith in Flynn. in which case I'd hope we look to move him on

Remove this Banner Ad

Back