List Mgmt. 2020 List Management: Contracts, Trading, Drafting, Academy

Remove this Banner Ad

I can not even begin to describe my disappointment, what a boring and uninspired trade choice. Truly hope he proves me wrong, but we're a team that operates best when we're focusing on winning clearances, how does an average ruckman help us get back to that?

I can not even begin to describe my disappointment, what a boring and uninspired trade choice. Truly hope he proves me wrong, but we're a team that operates best when we're focusing on winning clearances, how does an average ruckman help us get back to that?
Im not sure it as bad as that either!

A few seem overly exicited, you seem to me to be too pessimistic.

For me, this is a Meh signing. Clearly we need a ruck, he is a ruck, is he the saviour, probably not, but he is probably AFL standard and probably cheap. A pragmatic signing.

If he can square the ruck contest that will help our clearances surely.

What? Who did you want playing ruck?
he’s been stuck behind probably the two best ruckman of the last five years.
He can do tap work and shift bodies.
he’s nearly the same age as Flynn.
put him in with Briggs and Flynn and whoever the best is he earnt their spot.
Try and be positive... I think it’s a great recruit.

What? Who did you want playing ruck?
he’s been stuck behind probably the two best ruckman of the last five years.
He can do tap work and shift bodies.
he’s nearly the same age as Flynn.
put him in with Briggs and Flynn and whoever the best is he earnt their spot.
Try and be positive... I think it’s a great recruit.
I'm of the thought that we should've backed in Flynn and Briggs to overtake Mumford as guys that'd be even cheaper than Preuss and cost us 0 in terms of draft picks. We've had Flynn on the list for 5 years now, he's been sold to us since 2018 as our next number 1 Ruck and now that the opportunity to grab that is truly there we bring in a guy that has shown he's in the same mould as Mumford? To me it screams a lack of faith in Flynn, and makes me question either a)why our football department failed to acknowledge this early or b) what's changed. And as I said, I don't think Preuss puts us any closer to getting the most out of what our successful gameplans have been.

Im not sure it as bad as that either!

A few seem overly exicited, you seem to me to be too pessimistic.

For me, this is a Meh signing. Clearly we need a ruck, he is a ruck, is he the saviour, probably not, but he is probably AFL standard and probably cheap. A pragmatic signing.

If he can square the ruck contest that will help our clearances surely.
This is the correct take, I'm not high on Preuss but for sure he's good as long as it's only as a stopgap, if in 2 years he's number 1 ruck and Flynn/ Briggs haven't made significant progress I'm worrying then why we progressed with them

Preuss is a good pick up, probably 5 years too late re getting the right ruckman but better late than never. Happy to give a 2nd rounder for a position of need.

He is an aggressive style of player pretty good at tap work and if anything there is a knock on his ability to get around the ground. He was injured this year which didn’t help him but at 25 and with limited kms on the clock he is very well placed.

I like this move.

I'm of the thought that we should've backed in Flynn and Briggs to overtake Mumford as guys that'd be even cheaper than Preuss and cost us 0 in terms of draft picks. We've had Flynn on the list for 5 years now, he's been sold to us since 2018 as our next number 1 Ruck and now that the opportunity to grab that is truly there we bring in a guy that has shown he's in the same mould as Mumford? To me it screams a lack of faith in Flynn, and makes me question either a)why our football department failed to acknowledge this early or b) what's changed. And as I said, I don't think Preuss puts us any closer to getting the most out of what our successful gameplans have been.

This is the correct take, I'm not high on Preuss but for sure he's good as long as it's only as a stopgap, if in 2 years he's number 1 ruck and Flynn/ Briggs haven't made significant progress I'm worrying then why we progressed with them

Briggs has only been on the list 2 years and this one is a write off for development players like him. Flynn did his knee at a really bad time, his form was improving up until then behind Mumford and Simpson, he will need 12 months of good football again and against better opposition than Neafl rucks to prove himself. I think the club definitely had the plan in place for Flynn to take Mumfords spot but the knee and Covid have thrown a spanner in the works. Jacobs was a stop gap which has not worked out and I dont think they are wiling to waste another season going down that path. At 25, Preuss is at make or break point, he needs opportunity, we can give him that. Its up to him to take it.

With Flynn, missing virtually all of 2019 and there being no proper footy this year, maybe that has caused a question mark on if he is the guy.

Briggs is young enough that if he needs more time, so be it.

If they also keep Mummy, it is virtually a sign they don't rate Flynn (even accounting for the hesitation I've listed above). This is the reverse of what we have been told for years, they have been very bullish on him as our next ruckman for at least 3 years.

With Flynn, missing virtually all of 2019 and there being no proper footy this year, maybe that has caused a question mark on if he is the guy.

Briggs is young enough that if he needs more time, so be it.

If they also keep Mummy, it is virtually a sign they don't rate Flynn (even accounting for the hesitation I've listed above). This is the reverse of what we have been told for years, they have been very bullish on him as our next ruckman for at least 3 years.
SO my initial concerns are still valid and I now want to know what's changed ultimately, he had the ACL sure but I thought that was the reason we brought in Sauce to cover for the two years we expected him to need for recovery

I've seen him play well when he's been a #1 option in a few games for North.

It's more a concern that he wasn't the preferred option when Gawn missed games this year though, as that suggests he's regressed.
Pretty sure he was injured rather than overlooked. Worked his way back through an achilles issue this year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Like some, I am not entirely convinced by Preuss, and am concerned about his capacity to get around the ground. But I would say that the totality of circumstances probably forced us to do something. Flynn's ACL & the wipeout of a year's worth of development for both he & Briggs really meant that they were not ready to take on the mantle of No 1 ruck this year. Yes I am critical of them not getting a run in first grade this year, but without being in the inner circle, maybe Flynn just wasn't ready to go after his injury, and Briggs was only in his second year.

It would be difficult to see them as the only rucks, and we've all been critical of Mummy these last couple of years, so we probably had to get someone from outside. We could have gone with a lesser ruck, such as Hickey or Vardy, but that's where we've gone wrong in the past.

Therefore I'm content with the get, but I don't think it's a fait accompli that it's a deadset winner.

What I would say with Preuss maybe not being that strong around the ground for the whole game, is that there might be an opportunity for Flynn or Briggs to push their case as the third forward/relieving ruck, and get some time up that way. Which would give them an opportunity to showcase their wares.

What that would mean of course is less games for HH and TOJ - which does make his 3 year contract surprising. However, perhaps we'll look to run him as a tall winger. Or perhaps drop HH into the backline in Corr's role as was discussed earlier in this thread.

Anyway, it would seem that now we've just got to work out how much we pay for him during trade week and for his contract - hopefully not too much in either case!

Preuss is a good pick up, probably 5 years too late re getting the right ruckman but better late than never. Happy to give a 2nd rounder for a position of need.

He is an aggressive style of player pretty good at tap work and if anything there is a knock on his ability to get around the ground. He was injured this year which didn’t help him but at 25 and with limited kms on the clock he is very well placed.

I like this move.

He's a big improvement on the recruiting of Jacobs and the ongoing saga with Flynn and Briggs. Probably gives us clarity in the ruck for the first time since recruiting Mumford.

I know I'm banging on about this guy, but his write-up is most impressive. Might be a bit short of height & weight for a true KPD, but essentially IMHO Sam Taylor steps into the #2 KPD position behind Davis, and we could develop Heath as a third tall, leaving Haynes as the interceptor. i.e. a similar 4-tall set-up that Leon favours, but slightly rearranged and hopefully replacing Corr with a guy who is a little stronger, particularly on the rebound. In my mind's eye, I see someone a bit like Joel Patfull (with more speed& skill) who played for us for a couple of seasons, or Nathan Broad for Richmond - who can play both tall (to an extent) and small, but above all counterattacks well and has precision kicking out of D50 (a problem for us for sure!). That would help in the loss of both Heath Shaw & Zac Williams despite them both being medium defenders, and in time release Lachie back to his wing position if we moved in into the defensive line. Think Corr taking the kickouts but actually being precise with their placement! A few years down the track he can fully take on Nick Haynes' intercepting role; although by then we might have adjusted our playing style to make best use of both Haynes Chapman.

I must admit that I'm not entirely convinced by the projections for Zach Reid & Nik Cox, but am more so by this guy. By the time our presumptive pick #9 gets pushed back, I think he could be right in the appropriate pick range to take. There will be mids, medium forwards and flankers available at later picks.

Courtesy of https://afl.draftcentral.com.au/player/heath-chapman/:

Heath Chapman

Heath-Chapman-WA-U18-All-Stars-1-256x300.jpeg

Height: 193cm
Weight: 81kg
Current Team: West Perth, Western Australia
Birthday: January 31, 2002

Image Credit: @WAFLOfficial via Twitter

POSITION: Key Defender

DRAFT ANALYSIS: “Chapman is an attacking defender who reads the play well to intercept, then looks to move on quickly and deliver via foot.” – Michael Alvaro

Among a talent pool rich in key position stocks, Heath Chapman stands out as a defensive option with many points of difference. Not only does he thwart opposition attacks with sound intercept marking, but the West Perth product also incites attacking chains with his penetrative kicking. The 18-year-old backed up his strong bottom-age campaign with a stellar 2020 Colts season, let loose as a floating figure in the defensive half having already cut his teeth as a traditional key defender. Chapman also broke through for his WAFL League debut late in the year, adjusting to the level well before returning to his age group for finals. He has been a mainstay in the West Australian and AFL talent pathways; earning selection in last year’s Under 17 All-Stars showcase, this year’s AFL Academy intake, and the recent WA All-Star fixtures, while also strutting his stuff at the National Combine. With athleticism and a well-balanced game, Chapman is bound for first round honours.

STRENGTHS:
  • Intercept marking
  • Reading the play
  • Kick penetration and efficiency
  • Attack/defence balance
  • Repeat running
  • Composure
IMPROVEMENTS:
  • Size as KPD
There are many strings to the bow of Chapman, a defender who can also hurt the opposition going the other way. Chapman’s first point of call often comes aerially, as he floats across with terrific courage and timing to clunk intercept marks on the defensive arc. From there, he instinctively plays on and turns defence into attack, punching penetrative and accurate kicks forward to open up the ground for his side. This style of play has come largely thanks to a slight change in role throughout 2020, as Chapman has been let off the chain to roam as a third tall, rather than manning the best opposition key forward.

Chapman’s elite running capacity is highlighted by eye-catching testing results; notching a score of 21.6 on his preseason yo-yo test, while also taking out the West Australian combine’s 2km time trial with a time of 6:30. More significantly, his endurance is showcased on-field with important repeat running. When he opts to hit a short-range target rather than going long, Chapman is often sighted running hard to chain his next possession, becoming the receiver and advancing to an even more dangerous position to utilise his proficient kicking.

His composure with ball in hand is also noticeable, with sound decision making allowing Chapman to make the most of each disposal. That factor, and the aforementioned traits combine to give the West Australian a brilliant balance between his defensive and offensive output. At 193cm, he plays somewhat like a small with such athleticism and disposal efficiency, but still has the height and smarts to impact aerially.

He is the type who does a lot of things well for a player of his size, though his current figure may raise some queries as he transitions to the next level. Chapman is perhaps a few centimetres and kilos off true key position stature, making his key defender tag a touch less viable in the AFL. It is hardly a major issue, as Chapman looks like easily developing into a defensive utility who can play loose, lock down opposition forwards, or run off his man to intercept.
The West Perth product is obviously quite highly rated among his peers and opposition coaches too, as he took out this year’s WAFL Colts Coaches Award ahead of Jack Clarke and Mel Whinnen medalist, Lachlan Vanirsen. His character and vast array of elite traits see many ticks placed next to his name, with plenty of natural talent there to nurture.

DRAFT PROJECTION: First Round

Chapman has firmly cemented his spot within first round calculations after an outstanding season, and could be one of a few West Australians taken within that range. His array of weapons and flexibility as a key defensive option could see him considered with a pick in the early teens, while it is hard to see him sliding much further than the top 15. The first round tag is a safe projection, with Chapman’s upside pointing towards great value at that 11-15 range.

COMBINE TESTING HIGHLIGHTS:

National Combine:

2km time trial – 6 minutes, 30 seconds

Preseason:
Running Vertical Jump (L) – 78cm
Speed (20m) – 3.03 seconds
Endurance (yo-yo test) – 21.6

I know I'm banging on about this guy, but his write-up is most impressive. Might be a bit short of height & weight for a true KPD, but essentially IMHO Sam Taylor steps into the #2 KPD position behind Davis, and we could develop Heath as a third tall, leaving Haynes as the interceptor. i.e. a similar 4-tall set-up that Leon favours, but slightly rearranged and hopefully replacing Corr with a guy who is a little stronger, particularly on the rebound. In my mind's eye, I see someone a bit like Joel Patfull who played for us for a couple of seasons, or Nathan Broad for Richmond - who can play both tall (to an extent) and small, but above all counterattacks well and has precision kicking out of D50 (a problem for us for sure!). That would help in the loss of both Heath Shaw & Zac Williams despite them both being medium defenders, and in time release Lachie back to his wing position if we moved in into the defensive line. Think Corr taking the kickouts but actually being precise with their placement! A few years down the track he can fully take on Nick Haynes' intercepting role; although by then we might have adjusted our playing style to make best use of both Haynes Chapman.

I must admit that I'm not entirely convinced by the projections for Zach Reid & Nik Cox, but am more so by this guy. By the time our presumptive pick #9 gets pushed back, I think he could be right in the appropriate pick range to take. There will be mids, medium forwards and flankers available at later picks.

Courtesy of https://afl.draftcentral.com.au/player/heath-chapman/:

Heath Chapman

Heath-Chapman-WA-U18-All-Stars-1-256x300.jpeg

Height: 193cm
Weight: 81kg
Current Team: West Perth, Western Australia
Birthday: January 31, 2002

Image Credit: @WAFLOfficial via Twitter

POSITION: Key Defender

DRAFT ANALYSIS: “Chapman is an attacking defender who reads the play well to intercept, then looks to move on quickly and deliver via foot.” – Michael Alvaro

Among a talent pool rich in key position stocks, Heath Chapman stands out as a defensive option with many points of difference. Not only does he thwart opposition attacks with sound intercept marking, but the West Perth product also incites attacking chains with his penetrative kicking. The 18-year-old backed up his strong bottom-age campaign with a stellar 2020 Colts season, let loose as a floating figure in the defensive half having already cut his teeth as a traditional key defender. Chapman also broke through for his WAFL League debut late in the year, adjusting to the level well before returning to his age group for finals. He has been a mainstay in the West Australian and AFL talent pathways; earning selection in last year’s Under 17 All-Stars showcase, this year’s AFL Academy intake, and the recent WA All-Star fixtures, while also strutting his stuff at the National Combine. With athleticism and a well-balanced game, Chapman is bound for first round honours.

STRENGTHS:
  • Intercept marking
  • Reading the play
  • Kick penetration and efficiency
  • Attack/defence balance
  • Repeat running
  • Composure
IMPROVEMENTS:
  • Size as KPD
There are many strings to the bow of Chapman, a defender who can also hurt the opposition going the other way. Chapman’s first point of call often comes aerially, as he floats across with terrific courage and timing to clunk intercept marks on the defensive arc. From there, he instinctively plays on and turns defence into attack, punching penetrative and accurate kicks forward to open up the ground for his side. This style of play has come largely thanks to a slight change in role throughout 2020, as Chapman has been let off the chain to roam as a third tall, rather than manning the best opposition key forward.

Chapman’s elite running capacity is highlighted by eye-catching testing results; notching a score of 21.6 on his preseason yo-yo test, while also taking out the West Australian combine’s 2km time trial with a time of 6:30. More significantly, his endurance is showcased on-field with important repeat running. When he opts to hit a short-range target rather than going long, Chapman is often sighted running hard to chain his next possession, becoming the receiver and advancing to an even more dangerous position to utilise his proficient kicking.

His composure with ball in hand is also noticeable, with sound decision making allowing Chapman to make the most of each disposal. That factor, and the aforementioned traits combine to give the West Australian a brilliant balance between his defensive and offensive output. At 193cm, he plays somewhat like a small with such athleticism and disposal efficiency, but still has the height and smarts to impact aerially.

He is the type who does a lot of things well for a player of his size, though his current figure may raise some queries as he transitions to the next level. Chapman is perhaps a few centimetres and kilos off true key position stature, making his key defender tag a touch less viable in the AFL. It is hardly a major issue, as Chapman looks like easily developing into a defensive utility who can play loose, lock down opposition forwards, or run off his man to intercept.
The West Perth product is obviously quite highly rated among his peers and opposition coaches too, as he took out this year’s WAFL Colts Coaches Award ahead of Jack Clarke and Mel Whinnen medalist, Lachlan Vanirsen. His character and vast array of elite traits see many ticks placed next to his name, with plenty of natural talent there to nurture.

DRAFT PROJECTION: First Round

Chapman has firmly cemented his spot within first round calculations after an outstanding season, and could be one of a few West Australians taken within that range. His array of weapons and flexibility as a key defensive option could see him considered with a pick in the early teens, while it is hard to see him sliding much further than the top 15. The first round tag is a safe projection, with Chapman’s upside pointing towards great value at that 11-15 range.

COMBINE TESTING HIGHLIGHTS:

National Combine:

2km time trial – 6 minutes, 30 seconds

Preseason:
Running Vertical Jump (L) – 78cm
Speed (20m) – 3.03 seconds
Endurance (yo-yo test) – 21.6
Look that’s a pretty attractive write up... will he last that long?

Giant Strides you're starting to turn me into a Chapman shill, I agree he'd be great as a third tall and with his endurance and read of the play, I reckon he could develop into a Winger/ Big bodied midfielder if we felt there was value in that change. IF we end up with two firsts pulling off a WA duo of Chapman and Carroll would be perfect

Some thoughts on Preuss is that it provides a more mature body than Flyn. and Briggs and it means that none of them has to play a full 22+ game season and I can see Preuss running out of gas in the final quarter of games so HH or TOJ will need to play more in the ruck than this season but I can see that being a positive as although the bodies are not fully AFL developed they are 6+ seasons into their careers so 10-15% each should be ok and hopefully we see Flynn and Briggs for a few games each

On a trade with his reported salary of 400k I think the club may try to overpay if the Demons are able to pay some of his salary so if the club has a pick in the 30s I would happily use that for him, I think a good thing with Preuss is that he has not had any major injuries so touch wood that continues an he has a good pre season

Still no word on the delistings so maybe the club is waiting on the confirmed list sizes and SC which I thought would have been last week so it must be very frustrating for the players and officials and looking over the list I think the questions would be Reid, Sproule and Shipley with Stein safe with Corr leaving and really only Reid the biggest ? if he and the coaches thinks he can go around again and he may be kept on to be a player/coach for the reserves

Giant Strides just watching the WA All-Stars game now, you'll be happy to hear Chapman been good early and taking some of those riskier kicks that are paying off.
Joel Western is one I've revisited lately after being questioned about him, genuinely may be pushing into my top 20, he's another I'd love for us to look at if we get a later first round pick, looks to be best on early.

Looking towards next year, two WA kids that have caught my attention throughout the year and proving their worth in this game are Matthew Johnson who's a bigger bodied midfielder and winning plenty of it, uses it well too. and Rhett Bazzo who's a KPD, looks to have versatility in role

Remove this Banner Ad

Back