List Mgmt. 2020 List Management, Free Agency & Trade thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is Part 1

The thread is continued in part 2:

Im not sure schultz would have played if switta was fit, depends who JL preferred. Hughes definitely wouldn't have played if it wasn't for injury to half our backline. So it definitely is the fringe list in our case. Hughes had a great year so will likely get elevated at some point I would expect.
Hughes be hard to push out of the team now. Can imagine he’s one of JLo’s favourites now

Cant believe Schultz is to be rookied....Played well above my expectation this year

My question ...So Rookies get $80k per year but I imagine there is a plus match payment clause as well?
Should’ve taken that North deal, if there was one.
Insulting to be Rookied. Such a cash cut move. Hughes definitely shouldn’t be close to that list.
Minimal contract when he puts himself on the line and goes in hard then a 800k Brad Hill. Got to hate the AFL greed system

Reckon today’s list manoeuvring is crafty when considering our 2021 list management.
we will probably be cutting deeper into our senior players from our main list next season. Mundy, colyer will go. Potentially Blakey and conca. This would be complemented by the removal of giro and maybe switta.
5-6 spots already. Upgrade Hughes and The best performing final player from the rookie list. Take 3 in the draft

Im not sure schultz would have played if switta was fit, depends who JL preferred. Hughes definitely wouldn't have played if it wasn't for injury to half our backline. So it definitely is the fringe list in our case. Hughes had a great year so will likely get elevated at some point I would expect.

I wouldn't be surprised if Hughes is best 22 next year.

I'm not talking in a FIFA/NBA 2K who has the best player ratings way but in a what works for our team way.

Jeez. If players like Betts and Birchell can go on the rookie list, I think Shultz can. It managing the list to your best advantage. We also don' t know how much he is being paid. We can pay rookie players what we like.

Reckon today’s list manoeuvring is crafty when considering our 2021 list management.
we will probably be cutting deeper into our senior players from our main list next season. Mundy, colyer will go. Potentially Blakey and conca. This would be complemented by the removal of giro and maybe switta.
5-6 spots already. Upgrade Hughes and The best performing final player from the rookie list. Take 3 in the draft

Blakely is already contracted for 2022, whilst Conca has a trigger in his contract for an extra year. They’ll be on our list in some capacity in 2022. So will Switta - the club really rates him.

Based off the last few seasons Hill not retiring at the end of 2021 would be a miracle.

Insulting to be Rookied. Such a cash cut move. Hughes definitely shouldn’t be close to that list.
Minimal contract when he puts himself on the line and goes in hard then a 800k Brad Hill. Got to hate the AFL greed system
Still might be as per my post. He may not have agreed to be automatically listed as Rookie. Hence he has been delisted and from tomorrow through to, just before ND he can be signed as a DFA - which is a primary list player with a likely 2 or more years contract.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have I got this right? As it stands we have:
  • 32 on the main list;
  • 5 on the rookie list (Ethan Hughes; Tobe Watson; Banfield; Bewley; Schultz);
  • 1 on the rookie B list (Leno Thomas).
So we will be recruiting:
  • 4 x main list players;
  • 1 x rookie A list player
  • Maybe 1 x rookie B
No. We can only have 6 rookies MAXIMUM with 2 Cat Bs maximum included. So you can either have 6 Cat A or 5 and 1 or 4 and 2. We have our full compliment of rookies. Only senior list spots available, 6 of them.

No. We can only have 6 rookies MAXIMUM with 2 Cat Bs maximum included. So you can either have 6 Cat A or 5 and 1 or 4 and 2. We have our full compliment of rookies. Only senior list spots available, 6 of them.
"To reach 44, clubs can carry 36-38 senior listed players, four-to-six Category A rookies and two Category B rookies."

It appears people are a little confused re $ and the Rookie lis.

My understanding is the player contracts and associated $ stay the same BUT $80k can come of each players contribution to the Total Salary cap.

It by having 6 contracted players on the Rookie A list we can move $480k off the Total Salary Cap books. !

Which is why this is such a joke. You save $80k per player regardless of those salaries and the players don’t get paid any less. So literally it is just a symbolic move. And when a team like Freo has LITERALLY no rookies on their rookie list, what the hell is the point?

I think Belly should stick Fyfe and Mundy on the automatic rookie list just as an FU to the AFL and expose the ridiculousness of what’s going on here.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

This is what I thought too until I re-read the article which does say 6 cat A and 2 cat B. Also if you count it up it adds up to 44 with 36-38 main and 4-6 cat A and 2 cat B eg. 36 + 6 + 2 = 44, 38 + 4 + 2 = 44.
"To reach 44, clubs can carry 36-38 senior listed players, four-to-six Category A rookies and two Category B rookies."

Cant believe Schultz is to be rookied....Played well above my expectation this year

My question ...So Rookies get $80k per year but I imagine there is a plus match payment clause as well?

Rookies have $80k of their wage outside of the salary cap AFAIK, they are paid more than that, many of them significantly more. Betts aint going to be finishing his career on $80k a year.

I don't know why people are getting worked up by the rookie list. Every club can use it the way that best suits them. Some will stock up with depth and others will give opportunities to untried players or a mix of both. Seems Freo don't think we will get anything better late in the draft and we have rookie listed guys that have shown they can do an OK job at Afl level. The rookie list has changed its emphasis heaps of times over the years..Who said how it has to be used.

Rookies have $80k of their wage outside of the salary cap AFAIK, they are paid more than that, many of them significantly more. Betts aint going to be finishing his career on $80k a year.
So Hughes could be on 200k with that 80k off?
Always thought rookies only get 50-80k, as that’s why the Rookie list is there. Is that not the case these Dayan

Always thought rookies only get 50-80k, as that’s why the Rookie list is there. Is that not the case these Dayan

Yep and I'd absolutely expect Hughes to have earned $200k+ this year. The absolute base wage is ~ $85k + $5k per match for a true rookie via the rookie draft. Get drafted in the main draft and you start in triple figures, I mentioned Betts before and with absolutely no idea about his wage I would have expected he is still on a bare minimum of $300k+ next year and that's quite possibly low balling.

*As always, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong Bigfooty Fremantle :grinning:*

The standard Rookie payments are only for players who join from outside the AFL system via the rookie draft. If you are already in the system and are going from main list to rookie list there is nothing to stop you earning more than the minimum scheduled payments.

Hear Hear. His intent at the ball is ferocious and his second efforts are an example for all the up and comers. I really hope he was rewarded financially and his rookie status is just a lowly title.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back