List Mgmt. 2020 List Management, Free Agency & Trade thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is Part 1

The thread is continued in part 2:

Every year Angus gets spoken of here and by the week he gets more useless.

Couldn't be less interested in Angus. Approx 15 good games in how many seasons? No, not even no thanks, just straight up no. Why give valuable midfield minutes to an at best ok player ahead of young talent like Andy, Cerra and Serong. Not only is their ceiling higher, they're already better players.

At absolute best he goes for a second rounder, but don't see the point.

I'd be interested in getting Angus Brayshaw across, you can never have enough quality mids and he has shown that he has the class to be a very good footballer, this season is very hard to judge players on due to the different circumstances. I wouldn't be trading away our first pick this year but i would potentially looks at trading our first next year for Brayshaw and Melbourne's second pick next year/or this year. We do have some good young talent in the midflied coming through but Mundy is just about done, Fyfe is looking like playing more forward and we would like to play Walters more forward as well, getting an experienced mid like Angus in helps do that.

Then we target DGB or McDonald with our first pick this year whilst also adding skill and pace with Western and Walker.

I worry the mob up the road will be in a prime position to have a crack at both Cripps and Josh Kelly if they don't re-sign with their current clubs. By that time, Josh Kennedy and Shannon Hurn will likely have retired, NN and Shuey will be on less money and they'll have significant room in their salary cap to make big bids for them.

Can’t imagine Hurn is on big money. Kennedy might be, but every chance he goes again in his form. Can’t imagine the savings on those 2 is enough to land one of Cripps/Kelly on the increased money they’ll want. plus both would be restricted FA I believe? so if GWS or Carlton match, no way they’d have the picks to satisfy.

I could be wrong.

Gaff’s contract triggers after this season if he wants to too, so there’s more cash. Pretty sure Ryan is OOC after this season, so there’s a healthy extension too.

Can’t imagine Hurn is on big money. Kennedy might be, but every chance he goes again in his form. Can’t imagine the savings on those 2 is enough to land one of Cripps/Kelly on the increased money they’ll want. plus both would be restricted FA I believe? so if GWS or Carlton match, no way they’d have the picks to satisfy.

I could be wrong.

Gaff’s contract triggers after this season if he wants to too, so there’s more cash. Pretty sure Ryan is OOC after this season, so there’s a healthy extension too.

I noticed a new Kennedy Hungry Jacks ad last night so i don't think he'd be on much actually on the books.

Defenders...we need tall defenders . Now ;(
Actually it has been amazing playing with an undersized backline. it brings some advantages. I'm not saying it's sustainable, but I don't want to overload on single position KPDs when guys like Hughes and co can step up.

At the moment purely in terms of numbers on the list, I think we have it right.
  • 3 quality and mobile first choice talls in Pearce, Hamling and Logue.
  • An emerging swingman in Cox
  • Several tweeners within our best 22 who play taller when required. Others just outside the 22 who can also play a role.
The only reasons I can see for drafting a KPD are;
  • A negative prognosis for any of our best 3 talls
  • A view that Cox needs to be played as a forward (not my view. I think he is depth)
  • There is an unmissable draft day bargain

Actually it has been amazing playing with an undersized backline. it brings some advantages. I'm not saying it's sustainable, but I don't want to overload on single position KPDs when guys like Hughes and co can step up.

At the moment purely in terms of numbers on the list, I think we have it right.
  • 3 quality and mobile first choice talls in Pearce, Hamling and Logue.
  • An emerging swingman in Cox
  • Several tweeners within our best 22 who play taller when required. Others just outside the 22 who can also play a role.
The only reasons I can see for drafting a KPD are;
  • A negative prognosis for any of our best 3 talls
  • A view that Cox needs to be played as a forward (not my view. I think he is depth)
  • There is an unmissable draft day bargain

Yeh , its just with Hamling and Pearce looking more and more doubtful as time go's on we are running out of options. What happens if Logue is also long term? What happens if Ryan gets injured. Cox is also injury prone.

Sam Taylor out of contract in a few years would be the perfect replacement for Hamling or Pearce if their body hasn’t held up by then.

Get in Taylor’s ear every year, with what GWS are paying their stars, there isn’t much in the salary cap for a key defender.

Yeh , its just with Hamling and Pearce looking more and more doubtful as time go's on we are running out of options. What happens if Logue is also long term? What happens if Ryan gets injured. Cox is also injury prone.
For me, once we went with a new coach, my expectations of this season were that it becomes a development year, and covid reinforces that. So it is about the long term prognosis for those players, not week by week availability. eg if Hamling is done, draft DGB or trade for Taylor. Or, draft McDonald and debut him in defence as with Pavlich.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Angus can play in the guts only. If we don't have a starting spot for him in there every week, he'll look exactly the same as he does for Melbourne now, rotating between the flanks and the bench with minimal impact.

What if Angus is the reason we have Walters forward all year, or Fyfe? We need to win the ball out of the middle better and it worked for one of the few times this season against the Pies. We will need to replace Mundy.

But I generally speaking don't want players over 23 not in the best 22 on long or big money or both deals.

I think Josh Kelly almost qualified as a father son to West Coast after his father played WAFL.

Wasn't aware of that. 109 games for East Perth and 2 Sandover medals.

His situation highlights one of the problem with the F/S rule for the WA & SA clubs. The dad plays in the WAFL, shows he can play, gets recruited to play in the VFL, so he doesn't end up playing 150 WAFL games to qualify for F/S. The same guy in Victoria would easily play enough games to qualify for F/S.

I think getting blokes in who fit a particular demographic is the best way to develop the young crop we've got coming through. Very similar to the way we approached the trade/draft period last year. Blokes like Brayden Fiorini who is on the outer at GC, but a known accumulator, and a hard working mid up and down the ground would definitely be great depth, and a good selection headache to have. I think Fremantle would definitely be primed to ask the question, could definitely see him excelling under the system we seem to be working with.

My stance on Gus has softened, but for a mid-second round pick would definitely be worth a go.

Sam Taylor out of contract in a few years would be the perfect replacement for Hamling or Pearce if their body hasn’t held up by then.

Get in Taylor’s ear every year, with what GWS are paying their stars, there isn’t much in the salary cap for a key defender.

Plus he hasn't played since Round 4 so he would fit in around here

My theory / thoughts:
- My guess is Blakely rates himself as more of a freewheeling inside/outside midfielder - whereas the new coach (reading between the lines) wants him to play within his limitations (ie: can't kick) & sees him as more of a blocker/defensive midfielder. I wouldn't be surprised if Blakely isn't shopping himself around for more opportunity & the club would probably support him moving.
- The degree to which we can rely on Fyfe, Mundy & Walters will continue to reduce as they retire / play more time up forward;
- Assuming the above, we could do with another mature midfielder - doesn't need to be a world beater, but able to play a defensive role in support of our young midfield brigade.
- Blokes like Angus Brayshaw; either Crouch could maybe fulfill this role if Blakely wants to go.

Plus he hasn't played since Round 4 so he would fit in around here
Yeah but it sounds like he's recovered after having only 1 complication from surgery. That would be a big improvement for us

What if Angus is the reason we have Walters forward all year, or Fyfe? We need to win the ball out of the middle better and it worked for one of the few times this season against the Pies. We will need to replace Mundy.

But I generally speaking don't want players over 23 not in the best 22 on long or big money or both deals.

We could do that already if the coaches choose to. Next year centre square lineup of Serong, Brayshaw, Cerra and Tucker and one of Walters/Fyfe with the other one forward. We supposedly have another good mid in Valente in waiting as well, and if Mundy doesn't retire he stays in the mix. Who gets pushed out for Angus?

So straight swap Brayshaw for Blakely it is then?

I still think Zac Williams should be our #1 target this off-season. He is exactly what we need. Thinking that it is a foregone conclusion he is heading to Vic is loser talk. Surely the public health situation gets on the playing field and then we just need to cough up the money to be considered? We have a few ex-GWS boys and I'm pretty sure a few would be tight with Zac. Make it happen Best Bag Boy!

So straight swap Brayshaw for Blakely it is then?

I still think Zac Williams should be our #1 target this off-season. He is exactly what we need. Thinking that it is a foregone conclusion he is heading to Vic is loser talk. Surely the public health situation gets on the playing field and then we just need to cough up the money to be considered? We have a few ex-GWS boys and I'm pretty sure a few would be tight with Zac. Make it happen Best Bag Boy!
If we can somehow convince Williams to come here I'm booking in my Optus Stadium 2022 Grand Final tickets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back