2020 Non-Crows AFL Discussion Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually really like father-son. It’s one of the few things in the game now that actually connects a club to its history and helps make them feel slightly less like the soulless corporations they actually are. I’m also all for every club being allocated a local under 18 club/clubs with which they have a connection, and prior to every draft letting each club have a free hit at the best youngster from that club. Again, I think it would actually foster a sense of each club being connected with a place/community.

I do agree though that compensation/matching etc. is pointless and confuses matters. If everyone had a free hit each year it wouldn’t matter, and I’m totally fine with Daicos going to the Pies for nothing. It would be ridiculous if he went anywhere else.

Note, about 7-8 years ago I actually did a 10 year audit of what would have happened if each club took the best junior from an associated club and the whole thing pretty much equalised itself over the period. It really wouldn’t upset the whole draft too much and many times the best player in the draft for that year would have still slipped through to the draft proper, even after each club had its free hit.
See I’m of the opposite view. If a Collingwood think it’s such a wonderful story to draft Daicos they should be prepared to pay a premium for him. Otherwise the story’s not that compelling.

In what world is Lewis Jetta without a contract but Mackay has one, it's honestly staggering.

How much extra would Noble be getting from the AFL for taking the job that absolutely no one in football wanted.

In what world is Lewis Jetta without a contract but Mackay has one, it's honestly staggering.

How much extra would Noble be getting from the AFL for taking the job that absolutely no one in football wanted.
Jetta has never gotten the best out of himself, but I find it unbelievable he could be without a club

You'd think WC we rebuilding and we were all in for the flag.

I can see the Cats or Giants having a look at Jetta.

One club willing to make the tough decisions, the other not willing to make the obvious ones.
Probably isn't a tough decision though when you think about it. He was garbage this year, but so were his club outside of Perth.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So, who’s next North coach in 2024?

That's an unrealistic expectation. That said, you'd have to assume that they haven't come out within a week of appointing him and contradicted what he mapped out during presentation. This obviously aligns with Noble's projections though. He might think the list has good bones and will boom with 2 years of high end draft picks plus the right FA or two.

Why would anyone say otherwise in a coaching interview?

I think the list is stuffed and you'll be in the doldrums for years, no matter who's coaching

Who recovers quicker - them or us?

We've got better young talls, while they have been better at drafting mids than us.

Both clubs are suffering due to incompetent admin people, and club legends who seem intent on burning the place down to the ground.

Who recovers quicker - them or us?

We've got better young talls, while they have been better at drafting mids than us.

Both clubs are suffering due to incompetent admin people, and club legends who seem intent on burning the place down to the ground.
If we can’t, we may as well fold.

I think the list is stuffed and you'll be in the doldrums for years, no matter who's coaching
IIRC didnt Brad Scott tell the North hierarchy that a rebuild was needed? The board however thought differently and believed they were closer to making the 8 and playing finals than falling into the bottom 4?

IIRC didnt Brad Scott tell the North hierarchy that a rebuild was needed? The board however thought differently and believed they were closer to making the 8 and playing finals than falling into the bottom 4?
That's head in the sand stuff.

I interpret being in a position to contend by being in the top 4 as needing to finish between 5-8 by the end of the time frame. 2-3 years I interpret as 3 years unless there's no jump between season 2 and 1 finishing positions. I'm seeing 18-12-8 as succeedng against the expectation but 18-16 might trigger the earlier time metric.

Contending for top 4 from effective bottom is a lot of clubs to jump over in a short time though. It really shouldn't matter what the coach says when presenting, Admin going public with that time frame is stupidity. They just painted a fair target on Noble's back and he's almost certainly inheriting the spoon winning best 22.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back