2020 Non-Crows AFL Discussion Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

From the UK edition?

The Australian Edition was hilarious. From memory I think Kouta was on it and "our" Tatiana.

Yep. Panther (Helen O’Reilly) appeared in the first 5 seasons of the UK series (and both International series - so she did make a couple of appearances on Australian screens during the second international series.

And yep, Kouta And Tatiana were in the horrid 2008 revival of the show.

Yep. Panther (Helen O’Reilly) appeared in the first 5 seasons of the UK series (and both International series - so she did make a couple of appearances on Australian screens during the second international series.

And yep, Kouta And Tatiana were in the horrid 2008 revival of the show.

Those decisions bite when you're heading towards contention, Roos are a while away from that.

Yeah but their talent identification at North is MUCH worse than ours, so they're just going to stay down the bottom.

Yeah but their talent identification at North is MUCH worse than ours, so they're just going to stay down the bottom.

I think Noble will help with all that from his coaching role. They've got a couple of good assistants, I reckon he'll be influencing footy management decisions as well. I think it'll work well while they are rebuilding from ashes, but will become problematic with time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not saying Noble won't be good, he's clearly had his name put forward for numerous roles and it's probably only the Lions improvement that had Roos seeing him as a viable candidate to pull from footy management. But whilst there's a similarity, Fagan was more a long term coach that got pulled into management for a few years whereas Noble is long term management that coached a bit.

Fagan coached from 1993 to 2013 with a 1 year gap then 3 and a bit years as footy manager. From memory Noble coached at Dogs for 2 years, then a couple with us and a couple with Bays, not sure the order though. And I'd guess he was in management with us for 5 or 6 years and 3 at Brisbane. Very different coach/management ratio between the 2.

That said I think he'll be good for the club as they rebuild from a very low point. I think he's a very safe pair of hands as a manager and a coach but I don't think he's a future premiership coach. I will say that in my view they've got the best bloke for what they'll need over the next 4 years.

its identical in nature to Fagan’s appointment at Brisbane, but that doesn’t mean it will work the same

Noble had set himself down the CEO path having been head of football

CEO is a business role, which perhaps is why ours (career sports administrator) is bad at it.

Roos will argue Noble knows all aspects of a footy club, so will be a great coach. But there has to be a chance here for loss of focus and mission creep

will he try to do too much?

time will tell

its identical in nature to Fagan’s appointment at Brisbane, but that doesn’t mean it will work the same

Noble had set himself down the CEO path having been head of football

CEO is a business role, which perhaps is why ours (career sports administrator) is bad at it.

Roos will argue Noble knows all aspects of a footy club, so will be a great coach. But there has to be a chance here for loss of focus and mission creep

will he try to do too much?

time will tell
For example how much separation will there be between list management and coaching?

Noble has been in charge of both.

will he meddle?
I do think he is going to utilise both

There seems to be a drift towards total club management ie the NFL model - sometimes it works but mostly it doesnt

I think its more of the 'Hey Fagan did ok lets get the bloke that helped him'

I just saw Hawkins has been signed for 2 years.
I wouldn't be surprised with longer season and game length next year that he may struggle also with Cameron as the major forward.

I wouldn't be surprised with longer season and game length next year that he may struggle also with Cameron as the major forward.
Not sure why either of those things would cause him to struggle, plus I wouldn't have thought it would be a big money contract.

He's a walk up start next year, so there's only the second year as a risk. Which I think you concede to keep your GF list together. Otherwise you'd play hard ball and if they wanted to play out their final year or 2 at another club, then go with blessing, but we're not signing a 32 year old forward for 2 years in a rebuild. Bit like the Sauce situation, if hey shorty report was correct, his offer was basically, "we'll sign you for 1 year on good money but if you prefer to go to GWS on more in total over 2 years, then best wishes, thanks for your service". That's how I'd be treating Hawkins if I was Cats and they were where we are.

WTF is Kinnear Beatson on?

He’s basically saying “if another club rates our free hit player higher than we do, we should be able to pass on the player and be compensated with what is in our opinion an even bigger free hit”.

The current academy system makes the club pay less than the player is worth, as determined by the competition, because of the discount they get. If they don’t want to spend the discounted price, * them, they had their chance.

IMO, it’s time to get rid of all these draft corruptions. Everyone should be playing by the same draft rules, no exceptions. No academies, no FS, no FA compensation, no anything but reverse finishing order draft picks and trading.

So ******* sick of the corruptions of this competition and the welfare clubs hand out mentality.

Last edited:

He’s basically saying “if another club rates our free hit player higher than we do, we should be able to pass on the player and be compensated with what is in our opinion an even bigger free hit”.

The current academy system makes the club pay less than the player is worth, as determined by the competition, because of the discount they get. If they don’t want to spend the discounted price, fu** them, they had their chance.

IMO, it’s time to get rid of all these draft corruptions. Everyone should be playing by the same draft rules, no exceptions. No academies, no FS, no FA compensation, no anything but reverse finishing order draft picks and trading.

So ******* sick of the corruptions of this competition and the welfare clubs hand out mentality.
What’s a Kinnear Beatson?

The current academy system makes the club pay less than the player is worth, as determined by the competition, because of the discount they get. If they don’t want to spend the discounted price, fu** them, they had their chance.

I actually really like father-son. It’s one of the few things in the game now that actually connects a club to its history and helps make them feel slightly less like the soulless corporations they actually are. I’m also all for every club being allocated a local under 18 club/clubs with which they have a connection, and prior to every draft letting each club have a free hit at the best youngster from that club. Again, I think it would actually foster a sense of each club being connected with a place/community.

I do agree though that compensation/matching etc. is pointless and confuses matters. If everyone had a free hit each year it wouldn’t matter, and I’m totally fine with Daicos going to the Pies for nothing. It would be ridiculous if he went anywhere else.

Note, about 7-8 years ago I actually did a 10 year audit of what would have happened if each club took the best junior from an associated club and the whole thing pretty much equalised itself over the period. It really wouldn’t upset the whole draft too much and many times the best player in the draft for that year would have still slipped through to the draft proper, even after each club had its free hit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back