Play Nice 2020 Pre-Season Training

Remove this Banner Ad

I sort of assume that none of those players will improve dramatically. But I think we can get excellent value out of both Aish and Acres. Disposal, and size in the midfield have been things we are weak in and they bring that. Because of his size Acres can help release Fyfe which is massive.

And I think we can cover for Langdon pretty well with SHill looking like he is not required for his natural position on the wing as evidence that Langdon can be covered.

Yeah I agree but I'm hoping Longmuir gets the best out of them. They could be both solid B grade players.

I've moved on from Langdon

If Acres had consistency he wouldn't have been traded. See how pointless your comment was?
I think there's a bit more to it than that. Like if:
-Bradley Hill hadn't requested a trade to St Kilda
-St Kilda hadn't traded Pick 6
-Acres wasn't Western Australian and looking to come home at some stage
-Acres hadn't been played in every position except coach in 2019

..he wouldn't have been traded.

It was basically a perfect storm.

I sort of assume that none of those players will improve dramatically. But I think we can get excellent value out of both Aish and Acres. Disposal, and size in the midfield have been things we are weak in and they bring that. Because of his size Acres can help release Fyfe which is massive.

And I think we can cover for Langdon pretty well with SHill looking like he is not required for his natural position on the wing as evidence that Langdon can be covered.

They’ll need to improve dramatically if they’re to support your claim that the Aish and Acres vs Hill and Langdon is almost a draw.

Brad was consistently one of our best players and despite his kicking Langdon was too. Aish was solid to good at the Pies but Acres was soft and inconsistent at the Saints.

They’ll need to improve dramatically if they’re to support your claim that the Aish and Acres vs Hill and Langdon is almost a draw.

Brad was consistently one of our best players and despite his kicking Langdon was too. Aish was solid to good at the Pies but Acres was soft and inconsistent at the Saints.
Clearly Longmuir isn’t concerned given he is looking like playing our best wingman as a defender.

I get it's the off season and all, but pages upon pages of arguments about who's got the more sound argument about something that can't realistically be compared until the games are actually played is a bit mind numbing. I got a novel idea, let's wait until a few games into the season before assessing whether or not our wings are better/worse off with Bhill&langdon or Aish&Acres&Shill&Bewley&McCarthy&Fredrick&whoever else they try on the wing?

For me it's, "next man up" when someone leaves. I reckon there were be a bit of experimenting in the pre-season games before anything gets settled.

Clearly Longmuir isn’t concerned given he is looking like playing our best wingman as a defender.
I can understand that. The need to have footskills out of the D50 is essential.

With Wilson, Pearce and Hamling all out we're pretty thin for experience down there as well. There's a good chance Round 1 will have Logue (13 games), Ryan (49), Hughes (50), Cox (34) and Young (0) back there, which isn't ideal.

Getting Wilson back will be important (provided Ryan stays fit) as I can see Hilly spending some time on the wing when Acres moves on to the ball. Hill looks in terrific nick, but he hasn't played a full season since 2016, so there's a level of building into a midfield role there as well.

As an aside, I think people are going to be surprised how good Acres is. Early call i know, but he'll finish top 10 in our BnF this year.

With Wilson, Pearce and Hamling all out we're pretty thin for experience down there as well. There's a good chance Round 1 will have Logue (13 games), Ryan (49), Hughes (50), Cox (34) and Young (0) back there, which isn't ideal.

Getting Wilson back will be important (provided Ryan stays fit) as I can see Hilly spending some time on the wing when Acres moves on to the ball. Hill looks in terrific nick, but he hasn't played a full season since 2016, so there's a level of building into a midfield role there as well.

As an aside, I think people are going to be surprised how good Acres is. Early call i know, but he'll finish top 10 in our BnF this year.
I agree with what you say but I think it needs to be noted that while Luke Ryan has only played 49 games, he plays like a 100+ gamer.

Isn’t Conca earmarked for defence? Maybe he is the experienced one in the leadership team to help coordinate the defensive unit in the absence of Hamling and Pearce. But I agree SHill will help.

Longmuir just came from a team that played Chris Mayne most weeks as a winger
He might see the role of a winger as one that sacrifices his game for the team working up and down the ground plugging gaps. That would be a waste of S Hill.

Remember Eagles chucked Peter Matera (imo one of the best wingers of all time) @ half back from about 1996-97 onwards. Worked wonders for him and the team.

Sorry but seeing Cox streaming out of defense fills me with dread. Hes a turnover waiting to happen.
Alex Pearce isn’t the most efficient kick.

The idea would be as many handballs as possible to the likes of Hill, Wilson, Ryan & Young with a kick when there is not that option.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

as a kick in the Cox has actually been a pretty reasonable field kick before, his kicking only went to s**t when you put him 25m out from goal on an angle.

as a kick in the Cox has actually been a pretty reasonable field kick before, his kicking only went to s**t when you put him 25m out from goal on an angle.
Cox has great vision and more than reasonable skills (yes his goal kicking is a bit dicey). Go back to one of his very earliest games (Rd 14 2017) against Geelong at Kardinya. I remember a kick from the wing into the corridor lace out to Ballantyne. Shortly after a sweeping handball to Weller on the wing which should have led to the game winning shot at goal from Son Son.

See the corridor kick at 5:36 on this highlights clip:

Thing of beauty.

Sorry but seeing Cox streaming out of defense fills me with dread. Hes a turnover waiting to happen.
Cox is a good field kick. He also has a very good sidestep which can turn opposition players inside out and buy him some time to assess his options. Give him a role in defence and he might actually thrive considering he was drafted as an AA CHB and Longmuir has stated he wants to utilise the strengths that got players drafted.

Acres was played in so many positions quarter to quarter and game to game that it's no wonder he is seen as inconsistent. There's always a scapegoat for a coach and IMO Acres was Richardson's.

Isn’t Conca earmarked for defence? Maybe he is the experienced one in the leadership team to help coordinate the defensive unit in the absence of Hamling and Pearce. But I agree SHill will help.
Indeed - Conca played down there in the intra. I was just naming the blokes who were a bit young. Having too many in the same defence at the same time will be a concern. AFL games are generally won by hardened experienced bodies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back