Training 2020 Pre-Season

Remove this Banner Ad

That's the problem.
Jones is currently a B grade halfback flanker (of which we already have dozens) and a C grade midfielder (of which we already have dozens).

If he doesn't become at least an A grade half back or B grade midfielder, it's a bad trade.

I hope jones does become a very good mid, but like howard being a very good fullback-
the jury is still well and truly out on whether they can be any good.

We have bet on potential turning into performance with howard and jones.

Let's not get carried away pretending they already are what we want them to be.

Howard has never played full back before and jones played as a mid for a tiny bit at sydney last year with very moderate success
Aged well
My post saying that based on what we gave up for them- the club traded howard and jones in on their potential to improve on seasons past has aged poorly?
How so?
Your rating of him. Made your rating look silly yesterday
Jones as a C grade midfielder you mean?

I didn't see any overwhelming evidence yesterday that blew that out of the water

Aged well Joffaboy

Maybe we should just count jones preseason games when rating him rather than the real ones?

;)

Last edited:

Must be hard for the players. They would be thinking, "What am I training for?"
Well it's still their job and they are still being paid.
Same type of thing as in the off-season, they are still expected to maintain their fitness. If they decide not to then chances are they won't be playing when the season starts back.

Think they all get a month off but even after that they will have train on their own
I’m hearing some are burning up the track and are locks for when we come back 😉

It was ours to win. I dont know why we faded. Was it a lack of fitness?

Not sure it was fitness. I think we lacked composure and game sense. We lost by 2 points with us kicking 1 goal in the 2nd half.

When norph had a run on we needed to get posession and maintain it for a few minutes. Take the momentum off them. But we kept getting it and banging it blindly back to them. Their momentum kept growing and our structures and systems seemed to fall apart.

5 goals up at half time should have been enough but we had no composure to take the game back on our terms when they came at us in the third especially.

That's something that can be coached. I just fear that early loss will be critical if we get back on the park this year.

It was ours to win. I dont know why we faded. Was it a lack of fitness?
We had so many chances to put the final nail in the coffin but IIRC we went 0.4 with one out on the full to start the third quarter. Never should have been a game but we blew it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Back onto Josh Battle, I think he would be our best option for Centre Half Forward. Who do we have that is in competition with him for that spot? Holding down that position with a ruckman is not the best option.

I think we are looking at using a ruck until King has built himself up a bit.
So Marshall CHF while Ryder is still ruck.
Then when Ryder retires, Marshall becomes main ruck , leaving Battle , Membrey and King in the forward line.

We saw from the North game that if Membrey has one of his rare off days then the forward line becomes disjointed. If Battle had of played it would have at least stretched Norths defence by having an accountable forward present. I understand the Ryder and Marshall idea, and think it's good in theory...but forwards play forward, Ruckman rest forward. Battle is a forward at heart, and if left there could be a very good one. He would be a worry for any opposition defensive coach.

We saw from the North game that if Membrey has one of his rare off days then the forward line becomes disjointed. If Battle had of played it would have at least stretched Norths defence by having an accountable forward present. I understand the Ryder and Marshall idea, and think it's good in theory...but forwards play forward, Ruckman rest forward. Battle is a forward at heart, and if left there could be a very good one. He would be a worry for any opposition defensive coach.
Part of the issue is that Marshall should be the better forward if he and Ryder and as of yet looking at the scratch matches and round 1 he hasn’t found form.

Part of the issue is that Marshall should be the better forward if he and Ryder and as of yet looking at the scratch matches and round 1 he hasn’t found form.
All the more reason to give Battle a go at CHF. With his kicking he would be a real danger out there. Also the Saints have now seen that our mosquito fleet is stingless.

I think we just need to look at Ryder as a short term development aid for Marshall.

No doubt they told him he'd be playing in the 1sts, but come 2021 you'd expect he'll be at Sandy unless he's genuinely needed for match-ups or injury reasons.
Once his contract is over we'll have Roma/Abbott/Bell which is a perfect lineup of rucks.

I think our KPFs and Rucks are well set out for the future, it's the CHB that's got me puzzled.
Where do Clav and Austin fit in to out future? Does Jake get traded, and where if anywhere does Bing fit into the side in 2022?

I reckon we trade Jake and give Austin/Clav a year to show their worth. 2022, we let one of them go and get Bing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back