Training 2020 Pre-Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Training today for those interested.

Yeah definitely Carlisle & Howard are the key defensive posts in match simulation.
Brown putting plenty of pressure on though so those guys have to perform
Pretty much entire list did match simulation today Geary , Alabakis , Parker & Ross only exceptions.
Battle rested ...( all good)
Bytel put scare through the camp tweaked a knee , after going thru whole range of tests got all clear.

Clark was the stand out in match simulation today .
But the guy who stood out for entire training session was Marsh ..significantly fitter this year.
They won’t be able to keep him out of team if he keeps it up , getting better & better.

Thought players in no particular order that stood out were Hill , Clark , Ryder , Jones , Billings , Coffield,
Marsh and Abbott ..... certainly emphasis is speed , run & carry.
Was Webster back out there?

Obligatory advocate questions:
Great to hear about Marsh. Was that mostly playing off the backline?
How was Phillips looking? Any work on the inside or still running the wing?

Training today for those interested.

Yeah definitely Carlisle & Howard are the key defensive posts in match simulation.
Brown putting plenty of pressure on though so those guys have to perform
Pretty much entire list did match simulation today Geary , Alabakis , Parker & Ross only exceptions.
Battle rested ...( all good)
Bytel put scare through the camp tweaked a knee , after going thru whole range of tests got all clear.

Clark was the stand out in match simulation today .
But the guy who stood out for entire training session was Marsh ..significantly fitter this year.
They won’t be able to keep him out of team if he keeps it up , getting better & better.

Thought players in no particular order that stood out were Hill , Clark , Ryder , Jones , Billings , Coffield,
Marsh and Abbott ..... certainly emphasis is speed , run & carry.
thks once again for update - it's going to be interesting how we fit most of these guys in the team.

Gresham was played in midfield today , was good just got to stop kicking the ball too high out of stoppages.
He played forward pocket the previous training session I was at mixing things up.

D Mac is in good shape , for mine has quite a few in front of him .
Thanks man, you're a legend

Was Webster back out there?

Obligatory advocate questions:
Great to hear about Marsh. Was that mostly playing off the backline?
How was Phillips looking? Any work on the inside or still running the wing?

Yes Webster is back still on modified program , but doing full training .
Phillips is running on wing but realistically going to struggle to get games in my opinion.

With Marsh , where do you think he plays if he gets a game ?
Im glad he has trimmed down as i was next to him at one of the VFL games last year and he was very rolly polly , a bit like myself

Really see his spot will be against teams that have 3 talls in forward line ..think Back Pocket ideal
He played there when at Collingwood ...thought he was impressive before “the black dog “ arrived in his life.

Really see his spot will be against teams that have 3 talls in forward line ..think Back Pocket ideal
He played there when at Collingwood ...thought he was impressive before “the black dog “ arrived in his life.
Agree

With Marsh , where do you think he plays if he gets a game ?
Surely he plays in this series.

SURELY! 😉

images

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m over from Perth again, when i was here in December I went to RSEA but the players were on a camp.

Any idea if they will be training on Tuesday at some point?

Keen on taking the wife since she is still fan girling over Billings since we were in Broome with* him.

Gresham was played in midfield today , was good just got to stop kicking the ball too high out of stoppages.
He played forward pocket the previous training session I was at mixing things up.

D Mac is in good shape , for mine has quite a few in front of him .
Greshams short legs limit his kicking, and his kicking limits him as a player. I know I’m the minority on this but I don’t think we can get much more out of him than we already are. Hope I’m wrong!!

Greshams short legs limit his kicking, and his kicking limits him as a player. I know I’m the minority on this but I don’t think we can get much more out of him than we already are. Hope I’m wrong!!
Barring something unforeseen, I have no doubt whatsoever that we'll get plenty more out of him than we currently are.

Apart from anything else, all we'd have to do to achieve that would be to put him back in the forwardline semi-permanently!

He wasn't as outstanding last season because he was transitioning into a new role, that requires apart from anything else far greater endurance, so it was always likely to take a while for him to get used to that.

But like he did in the juniors (where he averaged 29 disposals per game in the TAC Cup in his draft year), I imagine once he really finds his feet there, he'll kick ass there as well.

We saw a couple of glimpses of that in his two 10 coaches-votes games there last season, and he was playing a lot more consistently good footy there by the end of the season. Which augurs well for how he'll go there with another preseason or two under his belt.

His kicking will never be great, but neither is/was Stuv's, and he went alright overall.

Stuvs kicking wasn’t great but miles ahead of Gresham. Agree his best position is forward and close to goal where his drop punt isn’t required much. I did mean his ceiling as mid was limited by his kicking, which is a shame as I think his evasiveness and game awareness are up there with the best in the game. Who’s know maybe Ratten has identified and taken measures to fix

Stuvs kicking wasn’t great but miles ahead of Gresham. Agree his best position is forward and close to goal where his drop punt isn’t required much. I did mean his ceiling as mid was limited by his kicking, which is a shame as I think his evasiveness and game awareness are up there with the best in the game. Who’s know maybe Ratten has identified and taken measures to fix
I reckon Gresh's kicking is alright, it's his decisions about whether to do the simple thing or the globetrotters thing.
And doing some skills based training might help.

Barring something unforeseen, I have no doubt whatsoever that we'll get plenty more out of him than we currently are.

Apart from anything else, all we'd have to do to achieve that would be to put him back in the forwardline semi-permanently!

He wasn't as outstanding last season because he was transitioning into a new role, that requires apart from anything else far greater endurance, so it was always likely to take a while for him to get used to that.

But like he did in the juniors (where he averaged 29 disposals per game in the TAC Cup in his draft year), I imagine once he really finds his feet there, he'll kick ass there as well.

We saw a couple of glimpses of that in his two 10 coaches-votes games there last season, and he was playing a lot more consistently good footy there by the end of the season. Which augurs well for how he'll go there with another preseason or two under his belt.

His kicking will never be great, but neither is/was Stuv's, and he went alright overall.
All coaches votes awarded by round in 2019.

1234567891011121314151617181920212223Tot
Billings34731053136
Ross54102210235
Gresham103103834
Marshall3421342625
Bruce845421
Dunstan1572621
Membrey828220
Steele2144314
Lonie909
Steven4408
Lonie6208
Kent7108
Hannerbery4408
Geary2406
Clark14106
Webster505
Newnes1203
Sinclair303
Carlisle202
Paton101
McKenzie101

I reckon Gresh's kicking is alright, it's his decisions about whether to do the simple thing or the globetrotters thing.
And doing some skills based training might help.
I think you are right, although he is not a great kick. He seems to take the Hail Mary option more often then not. Needs to learn to hit shorter targets and provide overlap into the forward 50. A bigger engine would help though.

Re-watching some matches from last year just for fun, and trying to keep an eye on certain players and references to game plan. Gotta say, I keep seeing bits of Lenny in Clark. It's hard to explain what I mean, but Lenny had a way of being so physical in the clinches that if he didn't get the ball he could force a stalemate. Clark, at times, seems to be able to do that as well. Not sure how to word it better than that. Keen to see more of him in the midfield, just to see if I'm right or not.

Other notes, Hind has a bit of the butter fingers which I didn't notice as much last year. But he makes up for it with what he offers. And Wilke is like Enright, just solid, doesn't screw up much, makes it look simple.

And boy, the Ross hate on here is pretty damn rough, he's clearly in our best.

Double ruck could be really handy, the moments the second rucks go up against against each other the winner doesn't usually get much out of the tap.

According to Mikka, he's a bit of lazy operator and they have had trouble getting him to apply himself. Maybe the shake up at the club will be the kick up his arse he needs.

Could argue Watson, Watters or Blight were worse.
Old Blighty gets the rough end of the stick from Saints supporters.
He stopped coaching the Crows cos he was totally burnt out.
He knocked us back a few times saying he wasn't interested in coaching anymore.
Soooooo we just kept upping the money till he couldn't refuse.
Our fault not his.

Watson the worst coaching appointment IMO.

Re-watching some matches from last year just for fun, and trying to keep an eye on certain players and references to game plan. Gotta say, I keep seeing bits of Lenny in Clark. It's hard to explain what I mean, but Lenny had a way of being so physical in the clinches that if he didn't get the ball he could force a stalemate. Clark, at times, seems to be able to do that as well. Not sure how to word it better than that. Keen to see more of him in the midfield, just to see if I'm right or not.

Other notes, Hind has a bit of the butter fingers which I didn't notice as much last year. But he makes up for it with what he offers. And Wilke is like Enright, just solid, doesn't screw up much, makes it look simple.

And boy, the Ross hate on here is pretty damn rough, he's clearly in our best.

Double ruck could be really handy, the moments the second rucks go up against against each other the winner doesn't usually get much out of the tap.

Maybe the Ziebell hit and the Archer hit comparison? Young Lenny bouncing back to his feet after having his head smashed off and Hunts playing on were eerily similar.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back