Review 2020 Season/Club Review

Remove this Banner Ad

BJ on the board would be fantastic. At least we could be comfortable knowing there's someone there who understands the coalface.
Absolutely. Also that we have someone that would speak his mind and call out bullshit. Too many hangers on/corporates in the mix as it is anyway.

The rally around the flag days with many members are over it seems. Being good at football may have to be the 'product' from now on. Desparate times call for desparate measures. We might have to try seeing what winning a final or finishing in the top 4 does for the bottom line for a change.

Absolutely. Also that we have someone that would speak his mind and call out bullshit. Too many hangers on/corporates in the mix as it is anyway.

The rally around the flag days with many members are over it seems. Being good at football may have to be the 'product' from now on. Desparate times call for desparate measures. We might have to try seeing what winning a final or finishing in the top 4 does for the bottom line for a change.
Has he actually been sounded out about being on the board?

I’m just worried as to whether we’ll have access to sufficient learnings under another Essendon person

Has he actually been sounded out about being on the board?
No idea. I think it's just conjecture. If I had to guess i'd say no. Too inflammatory and unlikely to be part of the clique. Besides, they wouldn't want a hothead flipping the fresh fruits table over on the way out of the room - It might shatter someone's childhood vision of Essendon board membership.

We like our 'leaders' nice and compliant at Essendon i reckon.

It reeks of desperation because we are desperate. Desperate for something to change.

We need a infusion of hope, something for the supporters to cling to, some light at the end of this seemingly endless tunnel.

I don't think Sheedy is the answer, I don't know what is, and the scariest thing is I don't think the club know either.

Sam Mitchell, We need someone who doesn't like us but wants to win, He'll change the joint.

But Truck is our guy and he'll be backed in.

I think you underestimate how disliked he is by the rank and file Essendon fan. It just would not take.

Some things can't happen, I'm a generally rational guy but I wouldn't tune in to watch him, I'd disconnect totally. Unless it's a 4d chess way to get our Brownlow back..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think you underestimate how disliked he is by the rank and file Essendon fan. It just would not take.

Some things can't happen, I'm a generally rational guy but I wouldn't tune in to watch him, I'd disconnect totally. Unless it's a 4d chess way to get our Brownlow back..

That's why I'd love him to come in, We need to change completely, throw Essendon in the bin, it's broken.

That's why I'd love him to come in, We need to change completely, throw Essendon in the bin, it's broken.

Guess it depends what you want from a football club. A ruthless machine that wins at any cost, doseht care if it loses friends along the way, or a club that follows a tradition, and plays in the right spirit on and off the field.

We are neither tbh, but disenfranchising the entire fan base wouldn't quite make any sense from business or spirit pov

We are broken now yes, but we have lots to be proud of in our history that we should be able to pull from without selling our soul to the devil

Guess it depends what you want from a football club. A ruthless machine that wins at any cost, doseht care if it loses friends along the way, or a club that follows a tradition, and plays in the right spirit on and off the field.

We are neither tbh, but disenfranchising the entire fan base wouldn't quite make any sense from business or spirit pov

We are broken now yes, but we have lots to be proud of in our history that we should be able to pull from without selling our soul to the devil

I want the first one, we've lost 20k members this year, I think every Essendon fan wants to start winning and couldn't care less who coached us if we did, May be some folk would bent out of shape early but winning will fix all that.

Anyway it's not gonna happen and we'll back Truck in for the next 18 months at the very least.

I think what Sheedy was able to do can't be done anymore. He walked into a semi pro environment and ramped up every aspect of it, training, professionalism, facilities. He created a gap that way

Nowadays everything is already dialed up to the max, every club redlines. No bloke can come in and make any club train more or harder or longer or get more professional. Added to that, equilization is fighting against every manouvere you try to gain advantage. Woosh was right the other day, you almost have to wait your turn in the cycle and hope you nab one on the way through. Unlucky for us we lost our moment a few years back and have to wait another full cycle

I think what Sheedy was able to do can't be done anymore. He walked into a semi pro environment and ramped up every aspect of it, training, professionalism, facilities. He created a gap that way

Nowadays everything is already dialed up to the max, every club redlines. No bloke can come in and make any club train more or harder or longer or get more professional. Added to that, equilization is fighting against every manouvere you try to gain advantage. Woosh was right the other day, you almost have to wait your turn in the cycle and hope you nab one on the way through. Unlucky for us we lost our moment a few years back and have to wait another full cycle
I think this is a really interesting point. What is required to lead a club has changed substantially over the last 20 years.

Part of the problem we face is rhat organisations that have problems often need big personnel changes to improve them. And making those changes is harder than finding the issues in the first place. The club seems to be going through this at the moment and it is/will create a lot of turmoil (and hopefully the right people go).

Sheedy may not have relevance in terms of modern football/coaching or systems but he could have been useful as a mentor for Rutten, helping him navigate the club and it's politics (and the media) and supporting him to make the changes he needs to as a new coach - moreso than a coaching mentor unfamiliar with our environment.

Having said that i think that type of role would have been more suitable for Sheeds than a board role or leading big improvements to the club now.

Last edited:
Change doesn’t just, or even primarily,
come from the coach though.

Our issues start at Board level and cascade down from there - the fish always rots from the head as they say.

Change doesn’t just, or even primarily,
come from the coach though.

Our issues start at Board level and cascade down from there - the fish always rots from the head as they say.

No doubt, But I'd argue a board who would even consider someone like Sam would be a board who want change. Our board would rather appoint Sheedy.

We definitely need some passion back, Hope it's Truck who can bring it.

Sheedy may not have relevance in terms of modern football/coaching or systems but he could have been useful as a mentor for Rutten, helping him navigate the club and it's politics (and the media) and supporting him to make the changes he needs to as a new coach - moreso than a coaching mentor unfamiliar with our environment.

Having said that i think that type of role would have been more suitable for Sheeds than a board role or leading big improvements to the club now.
Agree 100%.

That is actually what I think he was alluding to when he mentioned the former players who were on the board in his time and made things difficult for him. Obviously he sees the issues at the club as being political ones that he feels he can help with in a more direct manner than sitting on the board, in the same way that Worsfold and ant555 have alluded to with regard to Essendon people and coteries having undue influence, impatience, or even arrogance.

Sheedy is definitely a political animal and that's the area that seems to be most challenging for the coaches at Essendon, so having him working inside the club and helping Truck to get the support that he needs to get us where we need to be wouldn't be a bad idea. If it's that I'd be okay with it.

If it's a review of the operations though that's something else entirely, you'd want an external person with recent experience going over everything with a fine tooth comb and as little bias as possible.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back