List Mgmt. 2020 Trade/FA TARGETS

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trade hypotheticals and discussion of how you think or want a trade to happen go here - 2020 FA, Draft and Trade HYPOTHETICAL thread.

If you want to talk about a current Hawthorn player and if they’re staying on the list, it goes here - Should I stay or should I go now? End of season list management discussion (now continued for 2020)

Trade/FA targets thread is for discussion of News about players we are to target via trade of FA. It’s not for “Kane Cornes says we should get this player”.

If money is any motivation for Williams, he would be silly to stick around.

Will be offered a minimum of 2-300k a year more to leave, than he will get if he stays.

Could stay for unders if GWS remain in their premiership window and sign a 2 year deal like Kelly. But I believe the new rules regarding Free Agency are that you are a free agent at the end of any contract after you have been there for 8 years.

Was nice to hear Wrighty confirm on radio that we had a massive crack at trying to bring Hill back in 2018 but just couldn't get it done (due to other activity Chad, Scully, Scrim)

If money is any motivation for Williams, he would be silly to stick around.

Will be offered a minimum of 2-300k a year more to leave, than he will get if he stays.

Could stay for unders if GWS remain in their premiership window and sign a 2 year deal like Kelly. But I believe the new rules regarding Free Agency are that you are a free agent at the end of any contract after you have been there for 8 years.
"Unders" isn't a word that exists at GilWS

Yeah the whole best mates thing and the supported Hawthorn as a kid thing mean absolutely nothing. Silly that many of us fell for that. They are not even close to the main reasons why players decide on their futures. Live and learn.
I agree that they are not the main reasons however if can be a deciding factor.
If I offered you $400k p/a to work for Hawthorn or $420k p/a to work for Essendon which would you choose and why?

If I offered you $400k p/a to work for Hawthorn or $420k p/a to work for Essendon which would you choose and why?
I think a fairer comparison would be getting offered 800k at Essendon compared to 400k at Hawthorn. A 5% isn't that much.

Nobody moves for 20k, not at that level of pay
it has to be 80-100k at least

My point is if you have two offers on the table for roughly the same money who you supported growing up becomes a big factor
Disagree completely. There is no evidence to suggest players are more likely to come to the team they supported as a kid after being in the system for a few years.

Your argument would make sense if they were fresh 18 yr olds and got to choose the club they wanted to play for but once these guys are in the system for a couple of years they grow to love the club that drafted them and find more important factors if they decide to look at other options. Family, money, length of contract, security, likely role within that potential side, how close that side is to a premiership, how successful the club is etc.

Who they support as a kid would be absolutely minor in their thinking by this stage of their lives/careers.

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Disagree completely. There is no evidence to suggest players are more likely to come to the team they supported as a kid after being in the system for a few years.

Your argument would make sense if they were fresh 18 yr olds and got to choose the club they wanted to play for but once these guys are in the system for a couple of years they grow to love the club that drafted them and find more important factors if they decide to look at other options. Family, money, length of contract, security, likely role within that potential side, how close that side is to a premiership, how successful the club is etc.

Who they support as a kid would be absolutely minor in their thinking by this stage of their lives/careers.

Depends on the player of course but I think there is anecdotal evidence at the very least.
Screenshot_20200227-211745_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20200227-211825_Chrome.jpg

I couldn't name a single player that moved to a team because they barracked for them as a kid - unless I'm forgetting them? Like you say there will always be other, more important, factors involved.

Depends on the player of course but I think there is anecdotal evidence at the very least.
View attachment 830265View attachment 830266
We were targetting/chasing Scrimshaw from the get go. We knew he was homesick. Of course he would lean towards us.

It never stated Jonno supported us. Just because he lived close and would kick a footy there doesn't mean he was a Hawthorn supporter as a kid.

Did either of those players have other clubs chasing them hard like us to choose from?

the other jack joined us because he was also a fan as a kid

Jack fitzpatrick... I Believe it would happen quite a bit, but how much you hear about it is another thing.

Who would that be in the FA/RFA market this year?
There isn’t a great deal of quality
I’m not sure mate - but that in itself, may be the key. I haven’t reviewed the list so I’m not sure, but if a name isn’t jumping out as filling a need (more than increasing general depth) then maybe that’s telling.

I’d not want to dump $800k on Crouch, simply because he is/was an UFA/RFA. You’d then have to be sending Tom Mitchell/James Worpel away for 2x High 1sts to make it worthwhile*, which there’s no way I’d want to do.

GAFF - is of course the simple answer & I‘d love to believe the scuttlebutt (so I will) about him having a clause that renders him UFA at the end of this year despite his being contracted, but I don’t know if it is the case.

*No point having Mitchell, Worpel & Crouch in the same side, so I’d assume you’d send one of Mitchell/Worpel out at a massive price, hoping that Crouch covered 80%-90% of what we’d lose & we’d end up better by using those 2x 1sts. Like I said, I’d not do it if I was HFC, but on paper it may make sense.

*No point having Mitchell, Worpel & Crouch in the same side, so I’d assume you’d send one of Mitchell/Worpel out at a massive price, hoping that Crouch covered 80%-90% of what we’d lose & we’d end up better by using those 2x 1sts. Like I said, I’d not do it if I was HFC, but on paper it may make sense.
[/QUOTE]
I understand this statement without attaching any emotion to it whatsoever, but geez they'd be some enormous supporter backlash if we tried to move on either of those men for Crouch.
FWIW Mitch and Worps will lead out inside brigade for the next 6-8 years. Untouchable in my book.

I understand this statement without attaching any emotion to it whatsoever, but geez they'd be some enormous supporter backlash if we tried to move on either of those men for Crouch.
FWIW Mitch and Worps will lead out inside brigade for the next 6-8 years. Untouchable in my book.
[/QUOTE]
100% agree.

I'd certainly not want to do it.

I couldn't name a single player that moved to a team because they barracked for them as a kid - unless I'm forgetting them? Like you say there will always be other, more important, factors involved.
Didn't Buckley insist on a trade to Collingwood because of his life long support of them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back