2020 Trade & List Management discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Chayce is the fittest at the club but can’t find it and therein lies my concern with him.
Where do you get that from, I was watching him last 1/4 against GWS and he couldn't get above a jog, he was spent. If he is the fittest we are in real trouble.

People lambasted Nobles negotiation skills as incompetent. Not Noble as a whole.
Think peoples opinions on the first part, certainly lead to the 2nd part of being incompetent

Most called for him to be axed .....and rejoiced when he went to Brisbane

From what Noble has done at BRIS, it's hard to fault his decisions

My point is, we criticize club administrators / coaches, without really having much of an idea whether they're good or not .....the exception was Burton, you'd have to have been blind freddy not to see he was out of his depth

I heard it mentioned somewhere that we should look at seeking a deal for Smithers. He's out of contract next year as a free agent. Any thoughts. It may be the last chance to get any value for him. Personally I would resign him for another 3 years.

I heard it mentioned somewhere that we should look at seeking a deal for Smithers. He's out of contract next year as a free agent. Any thoughts. It may be the last chance to get any value for him. Personally I would resign him for another 3 years.
Smith is a fascinating case. I've always been a big fan of what he can do on the field, but I do feel like he would net a healthy return, and his Wing/HBF position is already well covered with similar young and upcoming players (Hamill, Sholl, McPherson, Jones, Milera, McHenry, Kaeys).

With that in mind if the right deal was to come along, say for a 2021 1st rounder, I would probably wish him well and take the deal!

For what its worth, I think Brodie Smith would slot pretty seamlessly into all 17 teams if he did chose to seek a trade.

Smith is a fascinating case. I've always been a big fan of what he can do on the field, but I do feel like he would net a healthy return, and his Wing/HBF position is already well covered with similar young and upcoming players (Hamill, Sholl, McPherson, Jones, Milera, McHenry, Kaeys).

With that in mind if the right deal was to come along, say for a 2021 1st rounder, I would probably wish him well and take the deal!

For what its worth, I think Brodie Smith would slot pretty seamlessly into all 17 teams if he did chose to seek a trade.
I've been saying on CrowCast that Smithers is an opportunity to get in to 2021. For all his good traits, he tends to go missing in big moments and we have a few likely types that can fill his role. I'd be happy if the club considered offers that got us up the pecking order in the first round of next year's draft.

Think peoples opinions on the first part, certainly lead to the 2nd part of being incompetent

Most called for him to be axed .....and rejoiced when he went to Brisbane

From what Noble has done at BRIS, it's hard to fault his decisions

My point is, we criticize club administrators / coaches, without really having much of an idea whether they're good or not .....the exception was Burton, you'd have to have been blind freddy not to see he was out of his depth
Noble is a good administrator from what we hear, and the proof is in the pudding at Brisbane, but I wouldn't have him anywhere near trades if I was in charge of the club.

Your points on Godden, et al being bagged - I'm one of those who was critical earlier in the year, but we have seen changes to both the line up and method producing good results. Why did it take this long is the question (though it has helped with pick 1!)

I've been saying on CrowCast that Smithers is an opportunity to get in to 2021. For all his good traits, he tends to go missing in big moments and we have a few likely types that can fill his role. I'd be happy if the club considered offers that got us up the pecking order in the first round of next year's draft.
Might be a good option for the Saints. Hill and Smith on the wings would look good.

I can't help but notice the similarities between us last year and Hawthorn this year (both lose almost all their last 10 matches, 2nd and 3rd oldest lists respectively, media demanding rebuild and coach under scrutiny) and wonder if it doesn't present an opportunity to try and snatch their likely very high 1st out of them next year by offering them a godfather 'rebuild starter pack'.

This may sound extreme but go with me for a moment.

GWS 1st + Brodie Smith + Atkins Compo + 2021 2nd
For
Hawthorn 2021 1st round pick

It might seem wildly lopsided, but given the Hawthorn trajectory and the strength of next years draft I think it would need to be a bloody big carrot to get it done. Plus if you think about it these are all assets we can probably live without given our list profile, draft hand, NGA's and F/S this year.

The risk is Hawthorn rebound and make finals and we look like Donkey's. The reward is Hawthorn continue to mirror our decline in 2020, and we end up with a top 3 pick in a much stronger draft!
Trade 4 picks for 1, with the potential to upgrade from 8 to 3? No way. Insanity.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

While true, they've spent all their first round picks on trades for the last 3 years and so can't trade any at the moment.

I think we could do a first-for-first swap right? Eg. GWS pick this year for 2021 1st with other elements?

He is a good player but I don't think he has had a very good year. Depending on what's on offer I'd consider moving him on if he wanted to go.

If he stays I think we need to see how he looks in the first half of next season when he will be 29. There are some signs age is catching up with him. If he has a good first half of next season I'd consider a two year extension which would take him through to nearly 32.

Where do you get that from, I was watching him last 1/4 against GWS and he couldn't get above a jog, he was spent. If he is the fittest we are in real trouble.
He must be using the time trials. Jones has won it the last 2 seasons. McHenry always up there as well in the top 5

Keep.

It is really smart business to let Brouch go if it nets pick 2. At the moment we have Crouch x2, Laird and Sloane taking up huge mid minutes. I understand at the moment we don't have many young mids to displace them (Schoenberg/Keays aside and maybe Jones if he can learn to find it). But after this draft we will have another bunch of promising mids needing some time in the middle.

Its not like we are sending all the kids out there to get beaten on. We still have those above named seniors to protect them. He is the only one that could net us a pick this early so it is a no brainer really. We have made mistakes previously signing senior players with trade value to long term contracts passed their best so lets not do it again.

On SM-A205YN using BigFooty.com mobile app

IF we were super confident about Luko next year, would it be reasonable for us to trade out of the first round next year (or trade down at least) and then when he wants to come to us tell gold coast here is a late first and a second, soz not soz?

sorry - paywalled. anyone got a tool to view it?

Can't help with the Paywall. But the title seems leads me to believe that the pressure is mounting on a bunch of list managers in Victoria.

Like i've said from the beginning, it amazes me that people have thought that COVID would decrease Brads value. When in reality I can't see it doing anything but skyrocketing it.

Most compromised draft of all time (minus expansion teams), no VIC draftees with exposed form, no U18 carnival, no draft picks required to get him.

If there was ever a year list managers would prioritize 'known quantities' over draftees, its 2020!

When Rendell was on radio he was very bullish about the Crows trading Brad. He thinks pick 2 would be too good to refuse. Said Sydney or North would be crazy not to be looking at him. Matt was also very positive about the 2020 draft in general and didn't seem concerned about the father sons diluting the available talent.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back