List Mgmt. 2020 Trade Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Current no. of players on the list
Senior list - 34 (2-4 free*)
Rookie (Cat A) - 4 (0-2 free*)
Rookie (Cat B) - 2 (0 free)
Maximum list size of 44. Up to 36-38 senior list, 4-6 category A rookie list and 2 category B rookie list.
* Total of four list spots available, with a minimum of 2 senior list spots needing to be utilised.

List changes
IN: Daniher, Cockatoo, Uosis (R)
OUT: Christensen, Wooller, Allison (R), Skinner (R), Eagles (R), C. Lyons (R), Martin, Witherden, Cox, Hinge.
PROMOTED: Fullarton.
ROOKIED: Birchall, Mathieson, Ballendan.

Current picks
25, 53, 58, 69, 70
(2021 - 1st (MEL), 1st, 3rd (WCE), 3rd, 4th (MEL), 4th (COLL), 5th)

Useful links
2020 trade news compendium
List changes, contract status and key dates
2020 draft discussion thread

Last edited:
Lazy Journalism - any mature KPF

Possible legit - younger players who fill a role therefore Ridley, XOH and Cockatoo.

Therefore using my powers of deduction I would assume that the players coming in will be those around 23/24 or younger. Not sure who or what position though!

I guess it depends on your definition of decent.

The only player mentioned above I consider decent is Ridley.

The rest have varying degrees of question marks on that. Either injury or age.
My point was that we're raised in discussions where players with a profile and capital worth might consider attractive destinations.

Just about every player comes with baggage of some sort.

Anyone besides Ridley who might be on the market that you would consider decent ?

Lazy Journalism - any mature KPF

Possible legit - younger players who fill a role therefore Ridley, XOH and Cockatoo.

Therefore using my powers of deduction I would assume that the players coming in will be those around 23/24 or younger. Not sure who or what position though!
Sounds like Smart trading to me.

With the retirement of Jacobs, GWS now without a ruckman..........Archie may, or may not be in demand as a backup as they would of seen a lot of him in the Neafl

With the retirement of Jacobs, GWS now without a ruckman..........Archie may, or may not be in demand as a backup as they would of seen a lot of him in the Neafl
Done deal, Archie and our future 3rd rounder for Harry Perryman or Jye Caldwell, we could also throw in Jacob Allison and/or Corey Lyons to get the deal over the line if need be.

Done deal, Archie and our future 3rd rounder for Harry Perryman or Jye Caldwell, we could also throw in Jacob Allison and/or Corey Lyons to get the deal over the line if need be.

Nahhh. Just trade those boys to Adelaide for pick one instead! 3 players for 1 pick is more than fair........

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Scharenberg from the pies could play a similar role to Ridley if he finds his 2018 form

I was a massive fan of Scharenberg in his draft year, but has just been dogged by injuries. Has never been able to get his body right. I’d be up for it but can’t take too many of these injury risk types.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I was a massive fan of Scharenberg in his draft year, but has just been dogged by injuries. Has never been able to get his body right. I’d be up for it but can’t take too many of these injury risk types.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Too true. Will not be the player he was capable of due to this, IMO>

My point was that we're raised in discussions where players with a profile and capital worth might consider attractive destinations.

Just about every player comes with baggage of some sort.

Anyone besides Ridley who might be on the market that you would consider decent ?
Probably a few, but I don’t know who is genuinely on the market.

Ridley is not on the market.

Basically with Dixon and Ridley, I believe our name was just thrown out there to help push their contract a little higher.

Hopefully we target some key forwards these off-season. I think that is one area of the ground that other clubs like Richmond, Geelong and West Coast have the wood over us. Besides Hipwood, McStay has under performed these season compared to the opposition teams I mentioned. I love McStay and how he competes, but the opportunity in the market of getting quality key forwards at a low price will probably force McStay to play rest of his career as that big 2nd shut down key position defender that we have been lacking.

I personally reckon the club should be targeting Brown and Hogan these off season. There are so many quality key forwards these season that are undervalued in price in terms of a trade and salary. I can totally see Hipwood, Hogan and Brown co existing in the same forward line as they all offer something different. Brown can pinch hit in the ruck, Hogan is the big contested marking forward and Hipwood can play that mobile athlete tall. Combine that with our smalls and I think we would have the best forwardline in the comp, for the next 3-4 years.

We have been linked to both players (link):

"Ben Brown – The club has confirmed that they will seek to trade their star key forward rather than sign him to a contract extension. Rumours had abounded after he was a surprise omission earlier in the season, but the news was confirmed shortly after their season ended. Collingwood and Brisbane are interested. Contract expiring, not a free agent."

"Jesse Hogan – Channel Seven is reporting he is open to leaving Western Australia after a largely luckless stint at the Dockers. Will attract interest from clubs in search of key forward help – Brisbane and Collingwood’s names have been thrown up. Contracted until 2021."

Trade:
Rhys Mathieson + Ely Smith = Ben Brown
Pick 19 + Second Round Pick (2021) + Marcus Adams = Jesse Hogan

Draft:
Pick 17: Heath Chapman
3rd Round Pick (?)

Out: Rhys Mathieson, Ely Smith, Pick 19, Marcus Adams, Toby Wooller, Tom Joyce, Cedric Cox, Allen Christensen (depending on how many list spots allowed in 2021)

In: Heath Chapman, Ben Brown, Jesse Hogan, Nickia Cockatoo, 3rd Round Pick (?)

2021 Best 22 Team
B: Birchall, Andrews, Gardiner
HB: Starcevich, McStay, Rich
C: McCluggage, Zorko, Berry
FOL: Martin, Lyons, Neale
HF: McCarthy, Hogan, Rayner
F: Hipwood, Brown, Cameron
INT: Ah Chee, Robinson, Bailey, Answerth
Emg: McInerney, Witherden, Coleman

Last edited:
I personally reckon the club should be targeting Brown and Hogan these off season.
I think we would be stronger with another good key forward, and I like both Brown and Hogan. But I think signing Hogan is unrealistic, because Fremantle will want to keep him. And signing both of them is even more unrealistic. We've already heard that the club are prioritising other positions over key forward, so at best I could see just one coming in, near the end of the trade window.

Mathieson has played 1 game this year and Ely Smith hasn't played a game full stop. Kangas wouldn't have any interest in such a deal. Also Mathieson and Smith are contested players - Kangas already have Cunnington and Anderson who did it better.

Brown was so poor this year albeit he was playing in a terrible side. Can't make up my mind about him. I like that he leads at the ball carrier and therefore demands the ball and opens up the forward line. But I also worry that he has played his best footy and might be on the decline.

Brown was so poor this year albeit he was playing in a terrible side. Can't make up my mind about him. I like that he leads at the ball carrier and therefore demands the ball and opens up the forward line. But I also worry that he has played his best footy and might be on the decline.
Brown kicked 60 goals a season for three consecutive seasons, before having a year from hell the next. Is that really due to a massive, permanent decline before he's even reached the age of 28? I think it's more likely that Shaw doesn't like him, he isn't fitting into Shaw's game plan, the knee injury he sustained and the personal trauma of losing a child. Perhaps a fresh start will do him good.

Brown kicked 60 goals a season for three consecutive seasons, before having a year from hell the next. Is that really due to a massive, permanent decline before he's even reached the age of 28? I think it's more likely that Shaw doesn't like him, he isn't fitting into Shaw's game plan, the knee injury he sustained and the personal trauma of losing a child. Perhaps a fresh start will do him good.
By all means keep on going putting his case forward but I am still not convinced.

That's your decision. I showed you previously that the evidence didn't support your preconceptions, and you chose to stick to your guns. And that's your right, but I'm done trying to convince you specifically.
Don’t give up on me, man.😬

Remove this Banner Ad

Back