List Mgmt. 2020 Trade Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Current no. of players on the list
Senior list - 34 (2-4 free*)
Rookie (Cat A) - 4 (0-2 free*)
Rookie (Cat B) - 2 (0 free)
Maximum list size of 44. Up to 36-38 senior list, 4-6 category A rookie list and 2 category B rookie list.
* Total of four list spots available, with a minimum of 2 senior list spots needing to be utilised.

List changes
IN: Daniher, Cockatoo, Uosis (R)
OUT: Christensen, Wooller, Allison (R), Skinner (R), Eagles (R), C. Lyons (R), Martin, Witherden, Cox, Hinge.
PROMOTED: Fullarton.
ROOKIED: Birchall, Mathieson, Ballendan.

Current picks
25, 53, 58, 69, 70
(2021 - 1st (MEL), 1st, 3rd (WCE), 3rd, 4th (MEL), 4th (COLL), 5th)

Useful links
2020 trade news compendium
List changes, contract status and key dates
2020 draft discussion thread

Last edited:
As long as Fagan still has faith in Ely, I'd choose both. There are other ways to get the deal done. We got killed by Geelong in clearances last week. Guess who led the TAC Cup in clearances in 2018?

Both LOL. Good answer.

I hope we can have both, anyway.

Also I was slightly wrong, on further inspection Ely was 2nd in clearances that year, but he led the competition for most of the season.

I was a fan of him in his draft year. He was okay in the neafl last year. Built his form nicely despite injury. Shame we couldn't watch him this year, but the radio silence behind him has me concerned he may not be developing the way we'd hoped. It's a weird year so he gets the benefit of the doubt.

Joe or Ely. Don't know, as I don't know what we have with Ely. I guess if it came down to it I know Joe can impact a game so that is way for me.

I hope we can have both, anyway.

Also I was slightly wrong, on further inspection Ely was 2nd in clearances that year, but he led the competition for most of the season.

Damn straight we can have both. If a player is contracted its a sellers market. In the situation where a player is uncontracted it's a buyers market. All this posturing with demands counts for little if you don't have the leverage of an enforceable contract to back it up when your demands aren't met.

If the club is happy with Ely, I'll back em in. Not fussed about him not debuting yet, players all mature & develop at different rates. Sam Menegola says hi. First example that sprang to mind, hope Ely doesn't take that long though lol.

Feels like Ely Smith has been invisible, even in off-fiend media and exposure.

Might be a reflection of where he is at and/or how he has gelled with the group.
He has always seen like a fair bit of a recluse from a lot of the fellas. As was reported be a few there is also an issue involving zorks. I was extremely surprised when he signed the two year extension. Maybe he is just a typical country kid who hates the socials. It’s a tough situation to read

Counter to this the first bloke Fagan mentioned on the roar deal as part of the emerging next group was Ely. So who knows.
I came to post the same thing. It's hard to read too deeply into it, but if Ely is the first name that comes to mind when Fagan talks about the future that surely means something, right?

I came to post the same thing. It's hard to read too deeply into it, but if Ely is the first name that comes to mind when Fagan talks about the future that surely means something, right?

I don’t assume it means too much, but they have a far better idea of his progress and how long he would take given he was seen as a bit of a project.

Counter to this the first bloke Fagan mentioned on the roar deal as part of the emerging next group was Ely. So who knows.

Yeah and the first guy Fagan mentioned during preseason was Sammy Skinner. Look where he is now.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Yeah and the first guy Fagan mentioned during preseason was Sammy Skinner. Look where he is now.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Skinner showed some promising form in the pre-season which was probably what got Fagan excited, then he got injured and lost momentum. When he did get a chance he was shown to be short of the level.

Also why should we do be Essendon a favour and increasing our offer to pay more than we deem fair?

Matthew Leuenberger.

Mal Michael.

Karma’s a b*tch.
Exactly. If Daniher accepts our offer and Essendon match? Walk away, we owe Essendon absolutely ******* nothing. Good luck Dons with keeping a disgruntled player ir watching him walk to PSD.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’d like to keep Ely. He’s certainly got some potential and sometimes those big young midfielders take a bit of time.

Jobe Watson and Josh Kennedy are prime examples. Not everyone bursts into the scene like Cripps.

Really hoping that with a big pre season he can’t string together some solid performances in the reserves and earn a crack.

He has always seen like a fair bit of a recluse from a lot of the fellas. As was reported be a few there is also an issue involving zorks. I was extremely surprised when he signed the two year extension. Maybe he is just a typical country kid who hates the socials. It’s a tough situation to read

You mean "as was rumoured". This is how half-truths become gospel in the footy world - they get repeated often enough that it becomes stated fact.

Has he fitted in well within in the club ? Not often do I see him with the lads on social media.
If he's not on SM that's a positive . Maybe he's a bit different . One thing he is is exactly where we got shown up in our last match.

It's not possible to know how he's tracking unless you're in the coaching group and even then it'd be difficult to get a gauge this year.

On anything I've seen I wouldn't be tossing him.

I put big bodied mids a much higher priority than another tall forward, Joe would be good but we must have a mid field that can get him the ball.

If the Bombers match I can't see us just walking away from Daniher, we will try to facilitate a trade and IMO it would have to be a pretty outlandish demand from the Bombers for us to walk away from him, a lot on Big Footy and the footy media in general thought we were overpaying for Charlie and/or Lachie at the time.
[/QUOT
I think it's clear we rate Daniher but not enough to pay him a guaranteed contract that would put him in the top 5% of salaries required for a band 1 compensation. We also understand the risks involved and therefore have built incentives into the contract.

A future 3rd round pick carries very little value when the other pieces involved are first round picks. At this stage we do not have an obvious highly rated academy/father-son for 2021, so that 3rd round pick should be treated as a pick in the late 40's-50's, therefore negligible in the trade.

Realistically we don't know the actual numbers involved, but purely speculating I suspect it'll require more than $700k to reach band 1, and I think the cut-off is closer to $750-800k (since the changes they made after the Frawley compensation). That extra amount over 5 years could be close to $1million. I'm not sure taking the one year remaining of a $400k salary of someone like Mathieson is necessarily going to cut it (especially considering it's offset by the draftee we bring in to fill the list spot).

We're pretty well (these days), and I don't think we'd have a salary that we're desperate to get rid of. If you look at the side that ran out last week, the players that would be on significantly more than draftee wages that missed out would probably be Christensen (retired), Adams (injured), Smith (back-up ruckman), Answerth (injured), Mathieson (one year left on contract) and Witherden (has more value than a salary dump).

It's going to take more than a minimally beneficial salary dump to justify the increased risk we would need to absorb. The other issue is the massive can of worms this would open up, and I don't think the AFL would look too kindly upon it.
Same with Ely, he is not a big poster himself but you often see him in some of the reserve grader's feeds like Payne, McFadyen and some others.
Don't think Mato would be on anything close to $400K per season, reckon would be less than $300K, has never established himself in the top 22, but Witho appeared he had, with 2018 and 2019, when he signed his extension, so there is a chance he is close to $350-$400K (only speculation) and still has two years so perhaps he is traded as part of some Daniher deal, only if Witho wants to go to seek an opportunity. I think there are still some trades to be done but obviously exact list sizes will determine how many.

Remember seeing a picture of Ely Smith at the start of the year and he really packed on the muscle, had high hopes he could break into the midfield. Obviously didn't happen.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back