List Mgmt. 2020 Trade Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Current no. of players on the list
Senior list - 34 (2-4 free*)
Rookie (Cat A) - 4 (0-2 free*)
Rookie (Cat B) - 2 (0 free)
Maximum list size of 44. Up to 36-38 senior list, 4-6 category A rookie list and 2 category B rookie list.
* Total of four list spots available, with a minimum of 2 senior list spots needing to be utilised.

List changes
IN: Daniher, Cockatoo, Uosis (R)
OUT: Christensen, Wooller, Allison (R), Skinner (R), Eagles (R), C. Lyons (R), Martin, Witherden, Cox, Hinge.
PROMOTED: Fullarton.
ROOKIED: Birchall, Mathieson, Ballendan.

Current picks
25, 53, 58, 69, 70
(2021 - 1st (MEL), 1st, 3rd (WCE), 3rd, 4th (MEL), 4th (COLL), 5th)

Useful links
2020 trade news compendium
List changes, contract status and key dates
2020 draft discussion thread

Last edited:
I think had list sizes been the same, we'd be signing him on a one year deal (purely opinion). The cuts make things extremely hard. It would be an extreme show of faith to Cox to keep him in 2021 ahead of some others competing for a spot.

I think had list sizes been the same, we'd be signing him on a one year deal (purely opinion). The cuts make things extremely hard. It would be an extreme show of faith to Cox to keep him in 2021 ahead of some others competing for a spot.
Agree Nunez 100%. Also think its a waste of a list spot should Birchall play on next year.

Agree Nunez 100%. Also think its a waste of a list spot should Birchall play on next year.

Surely he doesn't though. His form isn't going to be better in 2021 and it's barely good enough in 2020. Big fan of Birch but he has passed it.

If list sizes are going to reduce than players like Birchall really can't stay on the list for 2021. We need to keep looking forward. Cedric I fear is gone. Hasn't grasped the opportunity and perhaps the life of an AFL player isn't for him. No harm in that. Even if he wanted to be traded I don't think we would be getting much for him.

Recruiters and list management/trade team are going earn their salary this year.

Well at least trade week only goes for 8 days this year.

Interesting thing here in regards to discussions on this thread is that the list reductions will be done over a number of years. So unlikely to go to 40 say next year. More likely to reduce the list size by a couple each of the next three years say to achieve the outcome they want. Probably much more palatable to the AFLPA as well. They need to AFLPA onboard with the changes given it is in the collective bargaining agreement.

Cedric was always going to be a slow burn and our recruiters definitely knew he was high risk / high reward.

BUT at 23, time is quickly running out...

Surely he doesn't though. His form isn't going to be better in 2021 and it's barely good enough in 2020. Big fan of Birch but he has passed it.

5 Grand Finals, 20+ finals experience...can you really say we don't have a list spot for a player who has already doubled his game totals for the previous two years combined and if Daniel Rich goes down; we'd have no defenders over 25 playing.

A keeper for 2021 for mine.

This is off the current theme, but a while back Zac Williams was being discussed as a great get.
Given that he is unlikely to prefer us to one of the big name clubs in Melbourne, I wonder what the feeling here is regarding Blakely from Freo?
Admittedly he’s a WA boy, but seems to be out of favour, and there was some unpleasantness last year.
Wouldn’t he be a good get for a HBF, and far younger than Birchall to boot.

5 Grand Finals, 20+ finals experience...can you really say we don't have a list spot for a player who has already doubled his game totals for the previous two years combined and if Daniel Rich goes down; we'd have no defenders over 25 playing.

A keeper for 2021 for mine.
For me yes I can say we shouldnt have him on our list in 2021. In my opinion his impact on the backline has been quite underwhelming. I agree the above achievements have been first class but him being kept on the list just hinders the development of current players gaining match experience. Gardner will turn 25 years old this month and Andrews will be 24 next year, both having played well over 100 games each. Experience rather than age takes more of a priority.

Always felt the problem with Cedric was the speed of the AFL and that he needed senior playing time to get used to the pace. I still think there's a good player there, but time is against him now.

I think Cox should model just game off Shai Bolton. He should have a primary role in centre bounce and wing minutes, plus 20% hybrid forward // back

I think Cox should model just game off Shai Bolton. He should have a primary role in centre bounce and wing minutes, plus 20% hybrid forward // back

From what he's shown Cox doesn't have any of the skills required to be a clearance winner.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

very hard for us to see if any player improved.. I do not see youtube NEAFL games anymore
You think Coleman in the team and named emerg for weeks rather then Cox might be telling

From what he's shown Cox doesn't have any of the skills required to be a clearance winner.

He was starting to show some good skills on the half forward flank and thought he did well against Richmond last year. Shame we couldn't watch the games this year to see where he's going wrong. I wonder if the Covid environment has effected his drive?

I wonder if more players are exploring the possibility of a permanent relocation to Queensland given their extended time in the hub and their intention to stay post-season. Could be a great opportunity to sell the lifestyle benefits to potential trade targets.

I wonder if more players are exploring the possibility of a permanent relocation to Queensland given their extended time in the hub and their intention to stay post-season. Could be a great opportunity to sell the lifestyle benefits to potential trade targets.
Sydney Stack and Callum Coleman-Jones seem to like the night life up here....kebabs and strippers.

I was thinking that a while ago, but I reckon nowadays it's probably less likely. They're all hubbed down anyway. There isn't a lot of getting out and about. And yeah, it'd be worse if they were in Vic, but it still won't be the most fun, relaxing escape for them. It'll be boredom, training, boredom, game. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Staying post-season would be a better opportunity. After the games are done, being able to go out and about, do a few days at Cairns or Noosa or wherever they feel like with their families - that'll help. Enjoying the weather and all that, which you can't do from a hotel room. If Melbourne stays that way for a month or two, there's no point going back just to lock yourself inside your house...

I think it's a guarantee that a % of players will be interested in a move to one of the Queensland clubs based off the state of living in Victoria combined with the lifestyle Queensland has to offer.

I forget where I read it, but there is an expectation that a big chunk of Victorians will seek to move interstate after the effects of Covid, so you'd think at least some players would be keen. List spots are tight though so who knows what that'll ultimately mean.

I think it's a guarantee that a % of players will be interested in a move to one of the Queensland clubs based off the state of living in Victoria combined with the lifestyle Queensland has to offer.

I forget where I read it, but there is an expectation that a big chunk of Victorians will seek to move interstate after the effects of Covid, so you'd think at least some players would be keen. List spots are tight though so who knows what that'll ultimately mean.

I work in the Real Estate industry...our QLD Directors are up 400%, in terms of MEL to QLD moves this year :oops:

Many Melburnians are buying sight unseen which is super rare.

I work in the Real Estate industry...our QLD Directors are up 400%, in terms of MEL to QLD moves this year :oops:

Same here in Perth

In the real estate industry, you can really go places.

Feel free to use that one ;)

Staying post-season would be a better opportunity. After the games are done, being able to go out and about, do a few days at Cairns or Noosa or wherever they feel like with their families - that'll help. Enjoying the weather and all that, which you can't do from a hotel room. If Melbourne stays that way for a month or two, there's no point going back just to lock yourself inside your house...

My mate has relocated to his holiday home in Noosa and has seen Saints players on the beach. Not sure if that is within the hub rules or not.

Sydney Stack and Callum Coleman-Jones seem to like the night life up here....kebabs and strippers.

Can confirm that kebabs and strippers are not unique to Queensland.

My mate has relocated to his holiday home in Noosa and has seen Saints players on the beach. Not sure if that is within the hub rules or not.

Can confirm that kebabs and strippers are not unique to Queensland.

That may be true, but the Gold Coast is the only place in Aus where strippers ARE kebabs.

There's definitely been a lot of people in the general population talking about moving to QLD. I've got several interstate coworkers looking into the idea, or friends who have family members looking at moving up here. For those going through the Vic lockdowns, it's been akin to light torture... But the players haven't gone through that... In my mind, just because someone else had their arms ripped off, doesn't mean you enjoy losing your fingernails. You can only lament what you've experienced first-hand, and while the QLD hubs have been better than Vic lockdowns, I don't think they've been enjoyable.

That was an interesting choice of metaphor there. Sorry :p

Still, if they are getting out a bit, and going for walks and things... Many of them would be in touch with Melbourne family... I suppose 1 or 2 coming to us would be all we'd want anyway. Not like we want 30 players requesting trades to QLD.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back