List Mgmt. 2020 Trade Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Current no. of players on the list
Senior list - 34 (2-4 free*)
Rookie (Cat A) - 4 (0-2 free*)
Rookie (Cat B) - 2 (0 free)
Maximum list size of 44. Up to 36-38 senior list, 4-6 category A rookie list and 2 category B rookie list.
* Total of four list spots available, with a minimum of 2 senior list spots needing to be utilised.

List changes
IN: Daniher, Cockatoo, Uosis (R)
OUT: Christensen, Wooller, Allison (R), Skinner (R), Eagles (R), C. Lyons (R), Martin, Witherden, Cox, Hinge.
PROMOTED: Fullarton.
ROOKIED: Birchall, Mathieson, Ballendan.

Current picks
25, 53, 58, 69, 70
(2021 - 1st (MEL), 1st, 3rd (WCE), 3rd, 4th (MEL), 4th (COLL), 5th)

Useful links
2020 trade news compendium
List changes, contract status and key dates
2020 draft discussion thread

Last edited:
Hawks are asking for a first round pick for Gunston, according to Fox. Would you do it for the later of our two?
I definitely would. Entering our window, he's a 3-time premiership player, straight kick, knows Fagan etc.

Great bloke as well apparently, though I've heard he's one of those 'chained to Melbourne' APS types. Don't take my word for it, though he did go to my school so I'm definitely, by default, a better source than most journos.

Gunston is a great player who would flourish in Brisbane. Whether we need him is the question. Who is he replacing up forward or down back? Do we play him on the wing? Is he a lead up target?

Feels like excess, but could also be an asset with his ability to score and ability to rotate down back and on the wing with his running power.

Gunston is a very good player, but we still need to draft highly rated youngsters IMO, we play for flags now but we also keep an eye on the future, Fagan, Noble and co. want sustained top 4 contention al la what Geelong have been doing for well over a decade and Sydney did until recently.

I wouldn't be giving up a 1st rounder for a guy of his age, I'd rather give it up for a young player like Harry Perryman who is only 21 and also fills a role that we need or for a bona fide established 20-25 year old gun eg. Lachie Neale, Charlie Cameron.

I mentioned Tom McDonald earlier in this thread and asked if he was gettable.No response so I assume no interest.
He was a 63 goal forward a relatively short time ago but now cannot get a game.Would probably come cheap.
Could replace McStay and take a turn in the ruck.

I mentioned Tom McDonald earlier in this thread and asked if he was gettable.No response so I assume no interest.
He was a 63 goal forward a relatively short time ago but now cannot get a game.Would probably come cheap.
Could replace McStay and take a turn in the ruck.

I'm not convinced he is better than McStay.

McDonald is backman and Gunston, as already pointed out, moved BACK to Melbourne. KPP’s are fairly hard to pry away. If we head the trade route I would rather add to our midfield/HFF that is of decent quality. Another ruck would be nice as well. I think the backline is starting to look ‘solidish’ and therefore not a major focus, but just IMO.

I am coming round to the idea of picking up Casaboult. Can help ruck so would allow Big O to spend some time forward, is an elite mark and would help us straighten up. Not a great kick, but has gotten better and honestly probably about par with our current forwards accuracy anyway. Would probably come cheapish.

AFL Trade Whispers: Pies’ leading goal-kicker on the outer
Out-of-contract Collingwood forward Brody Mihocek has been offered a “below-par contract offer”, according to a report in the Herald Sun. Mihocek, who has kicked 82 goals in his 54 matches for the Pies, was taken in the 2018 rookie draft in what now looks like a masterstroke.

Still, with Collingwood’s salary cap squeeze, the 27-year-old’s manager Anthony McConville said there was still plenty to be done if Mihocek is to remain a Pie. “It has been slow going so we are still working with Collingwood and it might take a little time. Hopefully we will be able to get there, and if not we will see.”

Trade Whispers: Financial twist in Suns hopes of selling top-10 pick

Gold Coast will listen to offers for Peter Wright during the trade period, knowing they will likely have to pay a portion of his salary cap if he moves clubs. Wright has two more years on a contract foxfooty.com.au understands is worth more than $500,000 per season. It’s almost certain a rival club would refuse to foot the half-a-million dollar bill, but they could get him for a fraction of the price.

The Suns are open to trading the 24-year-old if he declares he would like to explore opportunities elsewhere. Wright has slipped back in the pecking order in 2020 and hasn’t featured in Stuart Dew’s best 22 at all. Rival clubs see him more as a forward who can pinch-hit in the ruck rather than the other way around.

I am coming round to the idea of picking up Casaboult. Can help ruck so would allow Big O to spend some time forward, is an elite mark and would help us straighten up. Not a great kick, but has gotten better and honestly probably about par with our current forwards accuracy anyway. Would probably come cheapish.
Absolutely no way!

Absolutely no way!
What about putting in a bit more effort in and say why?
We don't need gun forwards, we need them to play a role. We havent got that contested marking gun on our list and if we got Cameron, it would cost us a fortune. Wouldn't cost us too much and would allow us to still pay big bucks for a midfielder.

What about putting in a bit more effort in and say why?
We don't need gun forwards, we need them to play a role. We havent got that contested marking gun on our list and if we got Cameron, it would cost us a fortune. Wouldn't cost us too much and would allow us to still pay big bucks for a midfielder.

Doesn’t add anything we don’t already have, other than more bad goal kicking.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Gunston is a great player who would flourish in Brisbane. Whether we need him is the question. Who is he replacing up forward or down back? Do we play him on the wing? Is he a lead up target?

Feels like excess, but could also be an asset with his ability to score and ability to rotate down back and on the wing with his running power.

Probably kicks 40 goals a year for the next 3 years in our system and forces our opposition to have 3 different types of tall defender, let alone our smalls.

Is he worth pick 22/23 - yeah probably.

Probably kicks 40 goals a year for the next 3 years in our system and forces our opposition to have 3 different types of tall defender, let alone our smalls.

Is he worth pick 22/23 - yeah probably.

Would be worth our first rounder, especially in a flag window

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just had a look at his stats...averages 120 marks a year over his career and rarely misses a game. I think we'd be interested if Fagan thinks he can add to our group.

And kicks straight, which is always nice.

If he was a year or two younger it would be a no brainer. As it is, I’m not sure - we may be able to trade a similar pick for a younger player who will play for many more years. E.g someone like Perryman may be gettable same range of pick given he’s uncontracted.

Mihochek would be an interesting forward option too. Doesn't have the runs on the board than Gunston does, but I'd take him.

Just had a look at his stats...averages 120 marks a year over his career and rarely misses a game. I think we'd be interested if Fagan thinks he can add to our group.

And kicks straight, which is always nice.
What concerns me about Gunston is how many of those marks are uncontested, he's had very low contested marks numbers for years now. People look askance at Brown for his contested marking, yet he's much better than Gunston in that area.

Mihochek would be an interesting forward option too. Doesn't have the runs on the board than Gunston does, but I'd take him.

What concerns me about Gunston is how many of those marks are uncontested, he's had very low contested marks numbers for years now. People look askance at Brown for his contested marking, yet he's much better than Gunston in that area.

Completely different players. Up forward, Gunston is a lead and Mark type player. He's not the crash and bash type. Can play wing and intercept in defence which makes him such a valuable player at the Hawks.

At 29 next season, Gunston is worth a late first rounder. Would do it in a heartbeat and either look for another trade target with our other pick or simply take it to the draft.
I’d be reluctant to give up even a late first round pick for a player we might only get 3 seasons out of.

If we were a Geelong or Richmond, I could understand, but we’re not rolling the dice on a last throw at a cup.

Gunston has kicked more goals than Charlie or Hipwood this year. He'd definitely add some potency to our forwardline but I'm not sure how it would effect our structure. Would probably push McStay or Oscar out of the forwardline

Remove this Banner Ad

Back