List Mgmt. 2020 Trade Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Current no. of players on the list
Senior list - 34 (2-4 free*)
Rookie (Cat A) - 4 (0-2 free*)
Rookie (Cat B) - 2 (0 free)
Maximum list size of 44. Up to 36-38 senior list, 4-6 category A rookie list and 2 category B rookie list.
* Total of four list spots available, with a minimum of 2 senior list spots needing to be utilised.

List changes
IN: Daniher, Cockatoo, Uosis (R)
OUT: Christensen, Wooller, Allison (R), Skinner (R), Eagles (R), C. Lyons (R), Martin, Witherden, Cox, Hinge.
PROMOTED: Fullarton.
ROOKIED: Birchall, Mathieson, Ballendan.

Current picks
25, 53, 58, 69, 70
(2021 - 1st (MEL), 1st, 3rd (WCE), 3rd, 4th (MEL), 4th (COLL), 5th)

Useful links
2020 trade news compendium
List changes, contract status and key dates
2020 draft discussion thread

Last edited:
I really hope with the cuts to football department spending we don't scrimp on the medical/rehab team.

Narkle and a fit Cockatoo would be really good signings.... although how they fit into the starting 22 and who goes out for them would be interesting. If I had to guess Mitch Robbo would be 1.
When / where have we been linked to Narkle?

What a stuff up by either him or his management on rejecting North's three year offer at $750K per season earlier in the season, which obviously has now been withdrawn by North.

They said on AFL360 earlier that an interested club at best would only be offering a two year deal at $500K per season. They said either Brown or his management read the landscape of player payments completely wrong.
That was before Covid hit, salary cap being cut, and he had some personal tragedy strike his family.

That was before Covid hit, salary cap being cut, and he had some personal tragedy strike his family.
Either way, what a monumental **** up leaving well over $1M on the table. If it was his manager's advice, I'd be sacking him ASAP. It was pretty evident as far back as late February where 2020 was heading and he rejected North's offer well after that.

I was having a read of this article about GWS, which includes the following passages:

This hasn’t been helped in 2020 by the fact that too many of the Giants’ best talents are competing for the same spot in the team.

Coniglio and Kelly but also Tim Taranto, Jacob Hopper, Callan Ward and Williams too are all at their best when they play on the ball as inside midfielders, and the same is true of four of the Giants’ last five first-round draftees: Tom Green, Jye Caldwell, Jackson Hately and Xavier O’Halloran.

It simply doesn’t work, and paying big bucks to keep all of these players on the list while losing the jobbers and role players is hurting the Giants.

The departure of Williams, as much as it is unfortunate to lose him, may help to ease that logjam. And before the trade period ends I suspect you will see Caldwell, Hately and O’Halloran all sporting new colours, with Caldwell linked to the Saints and Hately to the Crows.

But perhaps GWS should also give some serious consideration to encouraging someone like Hopper to find a new home, which would allow someone like Kelly to spend more time as a dedicated on-baller and give the Giants cap space and trade currency with which to hunt some honest role players.
You'd figure Cogs and Kelly won't be moved since they're on lengthy contracts, Taranto is too talented to let go of and Ward brings a level of leadership and maturity that they need. And Tom Green will eventually take over as the big-bodied midfielder. Noted draft watcher Knightmare reckons Green will be the best stoppage player in the league five years from now.

Could that leave Hopper the odd man out? If he's gettable with our trade currency, would he be worth pursuing? I know we just signed CEY a year ago but he's a fringe player at best, while we haven't heard a peep out of Ely Smith so far. Maybe Hopper could be our big-bodied midfielder.

If we’re genuinely looking at Daniher, Cockatoo and Narkle, I imagine a couple of contracted players are heading out.

Not as part of any trade, but it’s hard to see 5 new players joining the list, without the likes of a Mathieson, or Ely Smith, or Witherden heading out.

Jon Ralph tweeted today that a list size of 42 is looking likely - whether that is 38 senior and 4 rookies, or something more specific to retain cat b, is unclear.

Per our player contract status thread we have 47 on the list currently including 3 cat B rookies (special dispensation for Matt Eagles). Of our out of contract players, I'll assume we will retain Lester and that Martin and Birch go on for one year (I know Birch has reportedly triggered a 1 year deal) but we let everyone else go.

That leaves us with 8 players out of contract, 4 of which are rookies. With 5 coming in all of which need to be senior list, that would leave us with 44 in total, of which 41 would be senior list and 3 rookie (Fullarton, Archie, Madden). We're absolutely going to have to lose some contracted players to bring in even 3 players in trade period, as well as move someone to the rookie list.

I suspect this is why every article about changes to list sizes has included reference to us wanting a transition period - we are very full on for contracts and list spots at the moment in comparison to other clubs.

What a stuff up by either him or his management on rejecting North's three year offer at $750K per season earlier in the season, which obviously has now been withdrawn by North.

They said on AFL360 earlier that an interested club at best would only be offering a two year deal at $500K per season. They said either Brown or his management read the landscape of player payments completely wrong.
Agree. He might have said goodbye to his AFL career by rejecting that offer earlier this season. I guess nobody saw Covid nor a knee injury but really why he would knock back a 3 year deal @ $750K a season is madness. I hope our boys dont have the same management looking after them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting the way North have gone about it with Brown. Very transparent and up front that he is not required. I suspect it is because there are better players coming through that they want to keep which will be better in the long term but still want to get him to a good home?

Interesting the way North have gone about it with Brown. Very transparent and up front that he is not required. I suspect it is because there are better players coming through that they want to keep which will be better in the long term but still want to get him to a good home?
Or drafting a KPF.

Probably keep Walker up forward for a year or 2 while Larkey and another key forward develops

Or more likely they think they're getting Jeremy Cameron

Talking North I would swop McStay for Brown and Witherden for L Mac, their David Ackerly look alike gun defender. Talking Cats, Matho for Myers etc.

I reckon its great that players know they are coming to a top notch organisation and so we don't have to pay overs any more. We swop for better players.

We need a ruckman though and I do not see any talk about this.

Probably have their eyes on one of Thilthorpe or McDonald (whichever one Adelaide doesn't take) to pair alongside Larkey. I feel as though Brown plays his best football when there's a lot of room for him to lead into, which isn't as conducive to trying to develop other young lead-up forwards. Given he's unlikely to be around for their next finals run, it makes sense to move him on now.

Last edited:
In terms of preference I'd go Daniher (if fit and able to ruck 10-20%) > Cameron > Brown

I think before his injuries Daniher was projecting to be better than the other 2, Cameron is probably the biggest goal kicker but perhaps doesn't do enough apart from goal kicking and Brown I think most very tall key backs can handle pretty well and there's a growing number of them but still a consistent goal kicker and can ruck which would allow Oscar to take the first ruck.

I think if we picked up Daniher or Brown we'd play one ruck and McStay would still play but if we picked up Cameron we'd play the 2 rucks and no McStay. Unless we think McStay can improve his rucking enough to provide a chopout which is a possibility.

Talking North I would swop McStay for Brown and Witherden for L Mac, their David Ackerly look alike gun defender.
Brown might not still be around when the Roos are next successful, but McDonald would be. I don't think they'd let go of him, note he was a father-son pick also.

From our perspective, it usually takes until 25-26 for a tall to play well consistently, and McStay has just hit that range. He could be about to break out, and I'd argue having another KPF here would help that because it frees him to impact around the ground. I wouldn't give up on him now. It's a bit like trading out Bradshaw for Fevola, it may be an upgrade on paper but having both of them here would be an even bigger upgrade.

I think if we picked up Daniher or Brown we'd play one ruck and McStay would still play but if we picked up Cameron we'd play the 2 rucks and no McStay. Unless we think McStay can improve his rucking enough to provide a chopout which is a possibility.
If you have a read of this article that 3KZ posted some time ago, it says second rucks don't actually have to win hitouts, they just have to be good in other roles. I'd imagine all McStay needs to do as a relief ruck is provide a real contest, and he can do that.

Just on this talk of bringing in a Daniher, Brown, Cameron etc., which I'm not for at all, I'd rather back in the talls we have i.e. McStay, Hipwood, McInerney (if Martin is rucking or we bring in another ruck) given we have made top four two consecutive years running, but is the plan to move on one of those three players mentioned or will our setup now be four talls playing forward if successful in acquiring one of those KPF on offer?

I just don't see how we play all of McStay, Hipwood, McInerney and potentially a Daniher, Brown or Cameron in the same forward line.

In terms of preference I'd go Daniher (if fit and able to ruck 10-20%) > Cameron > Brown

I think before his injuries Daniher was projecting to be better than the other 2, Cameron is probably the biggest goal kicker but perhaps doesn't do enough apart from goal kicking and Brown I think most very tall key backs can handle pretty well and there's a growing number of them but still a consistent goal kicker and can ruck which would allow Oscar to take the first ruck.

Yep, agree. Any one of them would be good though.

It'd mean a defensive unit would need to cover 3 talls around 2m tall (all different attributes too), two very speedy smalls who can kick goals, two crafty forward/mids. That's before any resting midfielders and/or ruckman stroll into the F50.

Just on this talk of bringing in a Daniher, Brown, Cameron etc., which I'm not for at all, I'd rather back in the talls we have i.e. McStay, Hipwood, McInerney (if Martin is rucking or we bring in another ruck) given we have made top four two consecutive years running, but is the plan to move on one of those three players mentioned or will our setup now be four talls playing forward if successful in acquiring one of those KPF on offer?

I just don't see how we play all of McStay, Hipwood, McInerney and potentially a Daniher, Brown or Cameron in the same forward line.

We don't. McInerney rucks or gets dropped or McStay gets dropped. If we upgrade their position then they don't play. It's very simple.

As I said above, signing another KPF frees McStay to be a genuine utility. His contested marking ability would be useful around the ground, as we've seen when we're coming out of defence and he provides a solid option down the wing. I reckon he can work as that Richardson/N. Riewoldt type tall winger, running forward or back depending where we need the extra man. It could be the way to get the most out of him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back