List Mgmt. 2020 Trade Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Current no. of players on the list
Senior list - 34 (2-4 free*)
Rookie (Cat A) - 4 (0-2 free*)
Rookie (Cat B) - 2 (0 free)
Maximum list size of 44. Up to 36-38 senior list, 4-6 category A rookie list and 2 category B rookie list.
* Total of four list spots available, with a minimum of 2 senior list spots needing to be utilised.

List changes
IN: Daniher, Cockatoo, Uosis (R)
OUT: Christensen, Wooller, Allison (R), Skinner (R), Eagles (R), C. Lyons (R), Martin, Witherden, Cox, Hinge.
PROMOTED: Fullarton.
ROOKIED: Birchall, Mathieson, Ballendan.

Current picks
25, 53, 58, 69, 70
(2021 - 1st (MEL), 1st, 3rd (WCE), 3rd, 4th (MEL), 4th (COLL), 5th)

Useful links
2020 trade news compendium
List changes, contract status and key dates
2020 draft discussion thread

Last edited:
I hope the club has a look at Robbie Fox from Sydney. Looked solid this year and surprised he was delisted. 28yo, would be a very solid depth option down back.

I hope the club has a look at Robbie Fox from Sydney. Looked solid this year and surprised he was delisted. 28yo, would be a very solid depth option down back.

Draft a 28 year old as depth?

And having essentially decided Witherden was excess to requirements.
Not really comparable since Fox would presumably be on close to the minimum, unlike Witherden.

So comparable to Eagles?
Cap wise.

Depends.

Eagles was a rookie so was entirely out of the cap.

If we pick up a player as a DFA or in a non-rookie draft, they'd be on the senior list so will automatically take up more space than Eagles.

If we pick up a player in the rookie draft, it depends on their contract - IIRC less than $80k or so and it's all outside the cap.

I don't think we'll pick up anyone outside the draft though, just given how we're set up heading into it.

I actually think prior will be the pick of the bunch. Will be a Zach touhey type off the hbf.
Hope he gets a run you’d hate to see no prior opportunity

When you'd be picking him up for nothing, and we're in the window, don't see the downside to having a ready to go player on the list as cover.

Such a strange board when you have some wanting to clear out the older guys who aren't best 22 locks to give younger guys games so they don't leave and some want to build some decent older depth ruling out the chance of some young kids of getting games.

Draft a 28 year old as depth?
I don't mind that he's 28 if we need depth, better that than an 18 year old if we need to call on someone in a final. But I wonder if we need the depth at all, given we have Hinge, Answerth and Prior all not getting a run at present. If we don't need more depth, may as well use that spot to develop another 18 year old.

Such a strange board when you have some wanting to clear out the older guys who aren't best 22 locks to give younger guys games so they don't leave and some want to build some decent older depth ruling out the chance of some young kids of getting games.
It's clearly a balance, as is list management as a whole of course.

If we move on every older guy not in the 22, we'll be left with nothing except kids in the case of injury.

If we keep them all, then yes, kids will struggle for opportunity.

I think currently our balance is reasonably good, with only really CEY and maybe Adams as 26yo+ not a lock in the 22.

We've moved on a lot of our senior guys that weren't getting games in the last couple of years, and I just feel if we were to add someone like a Fox it would just give a bit more security if we need an experienced body to come to cover for a week or two.

We've moved on a lot of our senior guys that weren't getting games in the last couple of years, and I just feel if we were to add someone like a Fox it would just give a bit more security if we need an experienced body to come to cover for a week or two.
Hinge can do that though. Do they have to be 26 or over? Smalls seem to have a fairly developed body by 22-23.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's clearly a balance, as is list management as a whole of course.

If we move on every older guy not in the 22, we'll be left with nothing except kids in the case of injury.

If we keep them all, then yes, kids will struggle for opportunity.

I think currently our balance is reasonably good, with only really CEY and maybe Adams as 26yo+ not a lock in the 22.

Fox isn't that experienced - 38 games since being recruited as a mature age rookie. I'd much rather they give Jaxon Prior and Brock Smith a clear run at it.

I really like Robbie Fox from what I've seen of him. Will be a good utility. That said he won't suit our list though, we have too many waiting on the wings.

Nobes should definitely have a look at both Robbie Fox and Zac Foot. Zac got only 2 games last year but did some good things playing in that F50.

oh but can you imagine him streaming out of the backline, and the crowd goes up as one singing Sweet
Or when he slews a kick off the side of the boot OOB and the crowd roars "what the Fox that?"

Suggested by a Dogs supporter in their board that internally, the aim with Martin is for him to play 12 games. Will be interesting if he gets to that mark. If he does, I suggest Jordon Sweet might be looking to be on the move.
Why? Martin is 34, he won't be there longer than a season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back