• Nathan O'Driscoll

Votes: 14 10.1%
  • Zane Trew

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • Other

Votes: 13 9.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Part of the problem with modern football. Too much emphasis on stats and stats padder players. As an example - Look at the game last week against Adelaide. The best and most influential player on the park was Griffin Logue. Yeah he only had 14 disposals. He literally held freo together at times and I don’t think we would have won without him. No other player was more important to the end result. Yet the AFL website didn’t even include him in their best players from the match!

He was easily top 3

Pressure acts etc need to be taken to account.

We have to trust our recruiters in the picks they make for this reason. They are watching all these players over and over again. It’s not like the 1990s where clubs would select players based on a couple of video clips. The only issue this year is that the NAB league will almost certainly be cancelled. We probably won’t have any vision of the top Victorian prospects in 2020. In theory that probably means the safer selections will be the non Victorian talent that play games this year. It could push the top 6 or 7 WA talents artificially higher up the draft board? It could also mean that late blooming Vic talents (such as Clayton Oliver and Bontempelli in their draft years) will be bargain picks for some lucky clubs...

Part of the problem with modern football. Too much emphasis on stats and stats padder players. As an example - Look at the game last week against Adelaide. The best and most influential player on the park was Griffin Logue. Yeah he only had 14 disposals. He literally held freo together at times and I don’t think we would have won without him. No other player was more important to the end result. Yet the AFL website didn’t even include him in their best players from the match!

Yeah its unfortunate that stats never tell the complete picture of a game and a number of important elements aren't measurable. From my chats with scouts though, stats is king in decision making for the clubs and a lot aren't even published.

We have to trust our recruiters in the picks they make for this reason. They are watching all these players over and over again. It’s not like the 1990s where clubs would select players based on a couple of video clips. The only issue this year is that the NAB league will almost certainly be cancelled. We probably won’t have any vision of the top Victorian prospects in 2020. In theory that probably means the safer selections will be the non Victorian talent that play games this year. It could push the top 6 or 7 WA talents artificially higher up the draft board? It could also mean that late blooming Vic talents (such as Clayton Oliver and Bontempelli in their draft years) will be bargain picks for some lucky clubs...

It might mean a slight increase in WA/SA draftees but overall, especially with likely list cuts there was probably quite a few Victorians kids that clubs knew were getting drafted last year who’ll still be highly rated. The rest of the guys who would’ve popped up in 2020 probably won’t get drafted this year.

Clubs generally watch players for years before they get drafted or at least they claim they do. This may be a test of how much the draft year actually matters.

Great points about recruiters not having enough time to see players in underage competitions.

I think what counts is the level you are playing against.

Sure kids can look good at Private School level or Colts but for me its the Championship and Senior WAFL level that counts.

The late developers maybe missed because of the shorten seasons.

Harsh on a guy that was best 22 for five seasons.

People remember him for his mistakes rather than the lack of impact his opponents had. He was a difficult match up for many.
I meant Zac now.

I'm with you, thought his treatment by AFL fans is general was way over the top.

If we use our first two picks and then match walker and western, what sort of currency will we need to trade in to Absorb the points assuming they go in the 2nd/3rd round? Would want to avoid another deficit going into next year

If we use our first two picks and then match walker and western, what sort of currency will we need to trade in to Absorb the points assuming they go in the 2nd/3rd round? Would want to avoid another deficit going into next year
Think we should comfortably be able to in enough points using a future 2nd

Think we should comfortably be able to in enough points using a future 2nd
As long as no one is bid on in the first round we should be fine. Draft central has walker at 15 in their power rankings for July but I can’t see him going that high unless he tears it up later this year in the WAFL.

this was posted on the DTFA board - JUH looks different class to be fair. What a bonus for the dogs in an already strong young list.

O’Driscoll has a very dockery looking kicking action!! Can’t see him going top 10 if his kicking is questioned..

start to 3:30 is Jamarra Ugle-Hagan Highlights
3:30 to 4:30 is Braeden Campbell Highlights
4:30 to 5:35 is Denver Grainger-Baras Highlights
5:35 to 7:00 is Errol Gulden Highlights
7:00 to 7:50 is Nathan O'Driscoll Highlights
7:50 to end is Riley Thilthorpe Highlights

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We will probably carry some excess points into 2021 especially if our first pick falls in the top 5 picks. That is we slide back one pick or two and any points that exceed the pick we go at (pre trade) will be carried forward to offset 2021 deficit.

I wouldn’t be swapping out a future second but a future third for picks in the 50’s should get the deal done.

We will probably carry some excess points into 2021 especially if our first pick falls in the top 5 picks. That is we slide back one pick or two and any points that exceed the pick we go at (pre trade) will be carried forward to offset 2021 deficit.

I wouldn’t be swapping out a future second but a future third for picks in the 50’s should get the deal done.
Is that the only way it can be used? If so we should make sure we utilise it.

Let's work it out. A 265 point deficit.

Pick 1 - 3000 - Drops to Pick #2 - 218 Points left over (Free bid match: Pick #41)
Pick 2 - 2517 - Drops to Pick #3 - 18 Points left over (Free bid match: Pick #55)
Pick 3 - 2234 - Drops to Pick #5 - 91 Points left over (Free bid match: Pick #49)
Pick 4 - 2034 - Drops to Pick #6 - 18 Points left over (Free bid match: Pick #55)
Pick 5 - 1878 - Drops to Pick #8 - 62 Points left over (Free bid match: Pick #51)
Pick 6 - 1751 - Drops to Pick #9 - 17 Points left over (Free bid match: Pick #55)
Pick 7 - 1644 - Drops to Pick #11 - 50 Points left over (Free bid match: Pick #52)

Pick 1 - 3000 - Drops to Pick #2 - 218 Points left over (Free bid match: Pick #41)
Pick 2 - 2517 - Drops to Pick #3 - 18 Points left over (Free bid match: Pick #55)
Pick 3 - 2234 - Drops to Pick #5 - 91 Points left over (Free bid match: Pick #49)
Pick 4 - 2034 - Drops to Pick #6 - 18 Points left over (Free bid match: Pick #55)
Pick 5 - 1878 - Drops to Pick #8 - 62 Points left over (Free bid match: Pick #51)
Pick 6 - 1751 - Drops to Pick #9 - 17 Points left over (Free bid match: Pick #55)
Pick 7 - 1644 - Drops to Pick #11 - 50 Points left over (Free bid match: Pick #52)
So we can use it this year.

Love your work. We will likely need a pick or two between 48>60 to give us enough points with the above included. It is why I believe a future third should be enough to get the deal done.

I read somewhere it can only be used to match Future bids in the first round?
It was used for late pick for GWS. I don’t know the rules but it will certainly offset a points deficit from having to match a bid after our second pick for either of our academy picks which was the point I was making.

It would be interesting to see if the deficit would be taken off our second round pick, if we traded out our first pick . Not sure if that is allowed.

The deficit is taken from the round it is generated by, if Henry was bid on with the first pick of the second round and for some reason we had a 500 point deficit it would have come off our 2nd pick this year leaving our first intact. But I believe the points left over are for anywhere.

Back