• Nathan O'Driscoll

Votes: 14 10.1%
  • Zane Trew

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • Other

Votes: 13 9.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I had Hill and Aish (and Pina and Carter) as the 7th defender. Much prefer that to another KPP. Fast forwards are more of a worry for us than fourth talls. Logue, Hamling and Pearce can play on smalls, but I don't like it. Three tall defenders is heaps, and even then one of them needs to be very capable of playing smaller. I see swingman as his best option (but for me rotating tall mids forward is a better strategy, or having ruck/forwards) or KPF. I definitely value his capacity to play at either end, just don't have him in the preferred back or front 6 for now.

I agree with you and listed Hughes, Watson and Duman as depth, not as best defenders. I think Cox is in the transition zone; he is depth as a developing player with potential, but fringe best 22. He can change that this season especially given the opportunity he has right now. If the club really rates him then contract negotiations should be happening now rather than when Pearce and especially Hamling return. If not, quite possible he will look for further opportunity. Adelaide and Port could well be targeting him, but I think their KPP depth is reasonable. If they want to guarantee him a best 22 position, fair enough.
Pina and Carter sounds like Pina Colada...

Yeah. It's probably not taking too seriously. Draftees with stronger family connections to clubs than a great uncle have snubbed them.
will they have the picks for him, or did they manage to keep a few after their buying spree last year?

With the season starting again, U18's should be on the cards again?
Only one question I have with our list and that is our spine.
How do we cover for injury, and it has derailed our season for years.
All of Hogan, Lobb, Darcy, Pearce are quality, potentially one of the best
spines in the AFL.
Add Tabs, Cox, Logue, and that word potential is there again, with injury.
We must add another tall at least, either first or second round, and the
rebuild will be complete.

With the season starting again, U18's should be on the cards again?
Only one question I have with our list and that is our spine.
How do we cover for injury, and it has derailed our season for years.
All of Hogan, Lobb, Darcy, Pearce are quality, potentially one of the best
spines in the AFL.
Add Tabs, Cox, Logue, and that word potential is there again, with injury.
We must add another tall at least, either first or second round, and the
rebuild will be complete.
Would adding Hamling to that list do the trick for you?

Would adding Hamling to that list do the trick for you?
Hamling is a good player, but we can at least cover for him with Cox, Logue short
term.
Pearce can handle the monster forwards of the comp, the others are 2nd or 3rd tall
Types.
IMO you need depth in key positions to challenge, we all saw our season torpedoed
last year with injury.
What do you think is missing?

Hamling is a good player, but we can at least cover for him with Cox, Logue short
term.
Pearce can handle the monster forwards of the comp, the others are 2nd or 3rd tall
Types.
IMO you need depth in key positions to challenge, we all saw our season torpedoed
last year with injury.

Still need a developing dominant tall forward. Cupboard is largely bare behind a flaky Hogan and an adequate Tabs.

term.
Types.
last year with injury.
I would target a mobile ruck/forward, Thilthorpe the dream. i would trade up to get him.

If Lobb is a 70/30 forward/ruck and if Darcy and Meek can develop as available, legitimate and effective #1 ruck options, all good. However for now, when Darcy goes down, our spine and structure are greatly impacted. I prefer that to a pure KPP, but if DGB is there,.. or Trew, it would be difficult to walk away unhappy.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Denver Grainger Barass would be a nice addition from this years draft given the injury question marks over Pearce and Hamling. Also worth noting hamling is 27 or 28 and so in 3 or 4 years time we will be towards the end of his career..

Denver Grainger Barass would be a nice addition from this years draft given the injury question marks over Pearce and Hamling. Also worth noting hamling is 27 or 28 and so in 3 or 4 years time we will be towards the end of his career..
He looks great but I think he is more suited to intercepting as a 3rd tall (like Lever). Suspect that is what Logue is going to do.

Think we are better off targeting one of the KPFs since there are numerous, or an inside mid with burst speed with our first this year.

I suspect that a KPP we pick up will have quite a bit of say over the future of Brennan Cox.

If we can grab a good defender that'll allow us to go back to using Cox as a forward. If we grab a forward than it shouldn't be an issue provided we have faith that Cox can develop into a useful defender.

I suspect that a KPP we pick up will have quite a bit of say over the future of Brennan Cox.

If we can grab a good defender that'll allow us to go back to using Cox as a forward. If we grab a forward than it shouldn't be an issue provided we have faith that Cox can develop into a useful defender.
Is Sam Taylor trade on our radar? There was some talk. With all the unknown about this draft and the points deficit for our first pick I wouldn’t be against trading our first pick for Taylor and a late second/early third (ie pick in the 30’s) in return.

I don’t believe there will be any long term issues with Hamling. Follow-up arthroscope is pretty standard treatment for mine. He has been durable really and was managed through his early years at Geelong. As much as I hate to say it but there would be concerns with Pearce.

I’m very hopeful Pearce will be back but he will need to be carefully managed.

Either way a flexible KPF/KPD should be a target in the draft or trade. Doesn’t necessarily need to be early - Heath Chapman (West Perth) looks handy. Just an example of someone more likely available in second round.

Cox can alter draft priorities if he has a good season in defence.

Agreed. He looks more natural in defence for mine, so he’s a chance. Also, in reference to our tall forward stocks, I mean actual high marking, goal kicking threats. I don’t mean swingmen or blokes that squib shots from 10m out, directly in front.

Agreed. He looks more natural in defence for mine, so he’s a chance. Also, in reference to our tall forward stocks, I mean actual high marking, goal kicking threats. I don’t mean swingmen or blokes that squib shots from 10m out, directly in front.
Was originally recruited as an u18 AA in defence

He only played chb in the under 18 championships.
He played foward for his club.
I didn’t know that, but for me, where a player plays under 18s shouldn’t be a limitation to their career potential anyway. Sturt may end up a half forward, but I definitely want to see his midfield potential explored, and I think Young’s skill set can transition to other roles in a similar way to how Mundy has.

Back