Play Nice 2021 Crowds and Ratings Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reckon Hawks Mothers Day crowd will be horrible. My usual crew all doing MD stuff. Makes me feel guilty for wanting to go to the footy. Add in our poor form, I predict 13,652.

The precedent is perhaps 2017 where Hawthorn (0-4 and 18th) drew 28,997 to a 4.40pm Sunday Twilight MCG game vs West Coast or 31,895 which turned up the last time Hawthorn played West Coast at the MCG (5-8 and 14th)

Re Hawthorn v West Coast home and away fixtures...

The average across the last 5 Melb based home and away games is 35,910. The highest was 50,023 in 2012, the lowest was 28,077 (at Docklands) in 2018 and the middle point is 32,567 (at Docklands) in 2013.

Any crowd above 18,000 would be a pretty decent roll up - which is roughly 40% lower than the pre-pandemic (20%), non Mothers Day (20%) Hawthorn v West Coast match (32,000)

We could see a record for Collingwood this week.

The lowest crowd in the AFL era for Collingwood vs any Vic team at one of the large stadiums (MCG, Docklands, Waverley) is 27,421 against Footscray in 1995. With the various factors in play there has to be some chance of that being lowered this week.

However for context, here's a list of the other Vic teams' lows using the same criteria, together with the number of times they've gone lower than 27,421:

1620352220046.png

The lowest crowd in the AFL era for Collingwood vs any Vic team at one of the large stadiums (MCG, Docklands, Waverley) is 27,421 against Footscray in 1995. With the various factors in play there has to be some chance of that being lowered this week.

However for context, here's a list of the other Vic teams' lows using the same criteria, together with the number of times they've gone lower than 27,421:

View attachment 1120454
How many of those Essendon ones were in2016, the year they lost all their players and essendon crowds had the tear off (largely)?

That would be a really disappointing crowd TBH. This should be pushing 55-60K tonight.

No doubt it will be pushing 55-60K, and imo it will get to that figure.
We know the Tiger fans will be there in big numbers. Historically, Geelong fans don't like travelling to the G on Friday nights. Here's hoping the GF rematch will bring more out.

With ticket sales, Rouel is right $55 for a level 4 seat is criminal. This is our home game but just to give some insight when being the away team, My mate has spent $320 on 2 away games. $170 for himself and his misses V Anzac day eve and $150 V hawks game. He has said he will consider whether he will go to any more 'away games' this is something that will no doubt filter through to many teams supporters for away games. $27 for a level 4 seat is fine for an away game but clubs inc my own are trying to recoup losses from the previous year by upping prices in the nose bleed seats that will no doubt hurt attendances.

Our away game V Dees $85 on level 2, $75 on level 1 and $55 on level 4. That 100% contributed to the lower than expected crowd. Any other time with both teams flying that game would be hitting 80K.
These type of charges are turning people off. It's alright for someone like myself who as an AFL Richmond cub support member, tickets are free home or away and if I had to pay we know it's about 10 bucks.

Last edited:

View attachment 1120454

Richmond has been pretty much crap since the start of the AFL era, so doesn't surprise those numbers but no doubt there wouldn't be too many low ones from the past 5 years!

How many of those Essendon ones were in2016, the year they lost all their players and essendon crowds had the tear off (largely)?

2 from 2016. The list also includes the game v Hawthorn earlier this year at Docklands which was obviously artificially low.

Richmond has been pretty much crap since the start of the AFL era, so doesn't surprise those numbers but no doubt there wouldn't be too many low ones from the past 5 years!

Out of the 39 games there were just 6 games since 2000 and 33 in the 90s. Mainly the early 90s as well.

2 from 2016. The list also includes the game v Hawthorn earlier this year at Docklands which was obviously artificially low.

Out of the 39 games there were just 6 games since 2000 and 33 in the 90s. Mainly the early 90s as well.

How many featured Fitzroy or games among Melbourne clubs (not Carlton or Footscray) at Princes Park or Whitten Oval?

If you look at attendances the difference between 1995/96 and 1997/98 across the league is stark

Historically, Geelong fans don't like travelling to the G on Friday nights. Here's hoping the GF rematch will bring more out.
It won't. I know of quite a few people who went to the Hawthorn and Melbourne games, but not tonight because it's Friday night. Might work if you work/live in the city, but anyone south/west of the Geelong CBD doesn't even bother with it anymore. Traffic/Parking or VLine, pick your poison. Both are unbearable.

How many featured Fitzroy or games among Melbourne clubs (not Carlton or Footscray) at Princes Park or Whitten Oval?

If you look at attendances the difference between 1995/96 and 1997/98 across the league is stark

I excluded all games at the smaller stadia. It's only counting the MCG, Waverley and Docklands.

There would be many, many more including those venues, I'll do a list at some point. It does mean that Carlton and Geelong probably have lower numbers than some because a lot of their lower drawing games were at PP or KP.

Fitzroy does account for 26 games in the list, spread out amongst the other Vic clubs.

So manic what’s your crowd prediction? Or is it to hard to gauge!

It won't. I know of quite a few people who went to the Hawthorn and Melbourne games, but not tonight because it's Friday night. Might work if you work/live in the city, but anyone south/west of the Geelong CBD doesn't even bother with it anymore. Traffic/Parking or VLine, pick your poison. Both are unbearable.

I understand your reasoning as a comparison, the game Last week v the dogs ‘my wife and young children’ didn’t go as Friday night games especially for young families not to good. I got home at 11:45pm

Same for tonight, another late one!

I understand your reasoning as a comparison, the game Last week v the dogs ‘my wife and young children’ didn’t go as Friday night games especially for young families not to good. I got home at 11:45pm

Same for tonight, another late one!
Getting home after 12.30 is common for Friday night games for my family.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So manic what’s your crowd prediction? Or is it to hard to gauge!

Looking at the other all Vic games at Docklands this year (26k for Stk/Haw, 32k for StK/Rich, 29k for Ess/StK) and with North only getting 13k at their last home game there v Adelaide, you'd be pretty optimistic to predict over 30k for 17th v 18th this week. Got a feeling it will be right around that 27k low for Collingwood.

I suppose the unknown quantity is whether either side's (or both sides') supporters come out in expectation of a rare chance of a win.

Fri night should start at 720 or 710, yknow like they used to

I don't remember them ever starting that early on a Friday. It's always been a late start so people can get there after work. Saturday has always been earlier.

I don't remember them ever starting that early on a Friday. It's always been a late start so people can get there after work. Saturday has always been earlier.
was 740 up until channel 7 convinced them 750 so they could beef up their pre-game show by an extra 10 mins about 10 years ago
i thought it was earlier in 90s but maybe it wasnt

but its funny how thursday night games can be earlier - isnt it the same issue at play?

The argument there is that people have to go to work the next day, unlike on Friday night. But yes, it's another reason Thursday night footy sucks from a crowd perspective.

Looked like very poor crowds for the GWS and Gold Coast games today, doesn't anyone know the official crowds?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back