Play Nice 2021 Crowds and Ratings Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So when you play a home game at the MCG how many of your 100,000+ members would have a reserved seat for every home game at the MCG? I'm talking about the 50k outside the reserves and corporates as I assume you have about 10k members would take up seats in those areas . ( ie AFL membership with Richmond support MCC member+Richmond member and corporates who buy a package and get Richmond memberships with each package).

I think only 11-13k, but this is just because thats the number i remember having priority access for finals. as mentioned, the club has tried to increase this, but the mcc has rejected it

The_Wookie is the following statement accurate? Unlike the early teens, I no longer watch the ratings figures closely like you do. I regularly hear how well the Free TV ratings are doing. A Rohan Connolly article.

While AFL audiences have increased by 15 percent on pay TV and streaming service Kayo compared to 2019, free-to-air TV numbers in metropolitan markets are down around five per cent on figures from two years ago.

Is it possible more hardcore AFL fans are choosing to watch from home instead of going, while at the same time fewer casual supporters of the code are either turning up in person or watching games on the Seven network? That should have both the AFL and Seven a little concerned.

If fox and kayo ratings are up 17% that more than covers a 5% drop in Metro ratings

Other factors are having Anzac Day on a Sunday and at least another week of Perth being 3 hours behind rather than 2 compared to usual

If fox and kayo ratings are up 17% that more than covers a 5% drop in Metro ratings

Other factors are having Anzac Day on a Sunday and at least another week of Perth being 3 hours behind rather than 2 compared to usual
How does the events in your last sentence have any significant impact?

I think only 11-13k, but this is just because thats the number i remember having priority access for finals. as mentioned, the club has tried to increase this, but the mcc has rejected it
So your saying 40k seats of the 50k seats would be general admin type seats? How many of those 40k seats would be allocated to Richmond GA members to sit in?

So your saying 40k seats of the 50k seats would be general admin type seats? How many of those 40k seats would be allocated to Richmond GA members to sit in?

no. combination of GA (including those accessed for GA members) and reserved seat sales for general public

no. combination of GA (including those accessed for GA members) and reserved seat sales for general public
Ok let me put it this way. If I want to buy a ticket to a Richmond home game and 50k are knocked out because they are in MCC members reserve and AFL Members and corporate seats, how many of the 50k seats are taken up by Richmond members and how many would be available to the general public. Isn't there an area where Richmond General members can sit, not a reserved seat but can sit in that bay or group of bays?

Ok let me put it this way. If I want to buy a ticket to a Richmond home game and 50k are knocked out because they are in MCC members reserve and AFL Members and corporate seats, how many of the 50k seats are taken up by Richmond members and how many would be available to the general public. Isn't there an area where Richmond General members can sit, not a reserved seat but can sit in that bay or group of bays?

reserved seats is the ONLY place exclusively for RFC members.

the rest is either GA (were cash payers and GA members can sit) or reserved seating (where people by buy from the MCC via the ticketing agency sit)

one of the biggest complaints about the online booking, is some members have been made to pay $50 to sit in their normal area, as with the covid changes that section has been switched to that category

reserved seats is the ONLY place exclusively for RFC members.

the rest is either GA (were cash payers and GA members can sit) or reserved seating (where people by buy from the MCC via the ticketing agency sit)

one of the biggest complaints about the online booking, is some members have been made to pay $50 to sit in their normal area, as with the covid changes that section has been switched to that category
Ok I think I have mixed up covid booking and normal year booking.

In 2019 if I was a Richmond GA member, I scan in, where did I get to sit? Any bay that is considered a GA bay and any seat in that bay?

Ok I think I have mixed up covid booking and normal year booking.

In 2019 if I was a Richmond GA member, I scan in, where did I get to sit? Any bay that is considered a GA bay and any seat in that bay?

yep

with the covid changes, there were not telling us what bays were what

fwiw we speculated this was because the cash payments for reserved sales were being protected. During the 50% restriction, we had a fair few oppo supporters in our section. we always get some (mates who lend mates their membership), but the ratio was more akin to finals

How does the events in your last sentence have any significant impact?

Weekend Anzac Day materially impacts the ratings for the two Melbourne Anzac Day games (particularly Collingwood and Essendon) and the extra Perth lag at daylight savings materially reduces perth numbers. Might only contribute a percentage point but we are only dealing with 5% to start with

Weekend Anzac Day materially impacts the ratings for the two Melbourne Anzac Day games (particularly Collingwood and Essendon) and the extra Perth lag at daylight savings materially reduces perth numbers. Might only contribute a percentage point but we are only dealing with 5% to start with
Materially suggests a 25% to 50% efdect on the numbers. I doubt that.

And what is that based on? Real numbers or gut feel? You are talking about 3 or 4 games out of 30 odd so I doubt its anymore than 0.3% to 0.5% of the 5%.

Materially suggests a 25% to 50% efdect on the numbers. I doubt that.

And what is that based on? Real numbers or gut feel? You are talking about 3 or 4 games out of 30 odd so I doubt its anymore than 0.3% to 0.5% of the 5%.

From my phone on the run I would Hazzard a guess that metro FTA aggregate numbers (or the ridiculous aggregating of three hour averages) would be around 15 million after 9 rounds. Even if they were 20 million 1% would only equate to 200k

I'll demonstrate properly a bit later

So when you play a home game at the MCG how many of your 100,000+ members would have a reserved seat for every home game at the MCG? I'm talking about the 50k outside the reserves and corporates as I assume you have about 10k members would take up seats in those areas . ( ie AFL membership with Richmond support MCC member+Richmond member and corporates who buy a package and get Richmond memberships with each package).
I can’t speak for Richmond however I know of Essendon’s ~74,000 members, ~17,000 of these have an allocated reserved seat. I’ve been told Carlton have about 14,000 allocated reserved seats as well. These two clubs have reasonably high amounts of seats due to their members being ‘encouraged’ to upgrade to a permanent seating package due to capacity constraints at Marvel do as to not avoid being locked out. A couple of years ago I was told Hawthorn had about 13,000 allocated seats. Don’t know about now though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Richmond and Collingwood would have more than that. I’d say they’d be up with the Bombers approaching 20,000 seats.

Richmond and Collingwood would have more than that. I’d say they’d be up with the Bombers approaching 20,000 seats.

the club doesnt publish the bays any more, but what they used to have reserved for reserved seat or bay members was:

- some bays of M of GSS
- all of N of GSS
- some bays of second level of ponsford
- some of the olympic lower deck bays

i mixed up GF guarantee with finals guarantee, but GF guarantee also includes social club (unseated) and 25 years plus

the club doesnt publish the bays any more, but what they used to have reserved for reserved seat or bay members was:

- some bays of M of GSS
- all of N of GSS
- some bays of second level of ponsford
- some of the olympic lower deck bays

i mixed up GF guarantee with finals guarantee, but GF guarantee also includes social club (unseated) and 25 years plus
These are Essendon’s reserved seating at both its venues. D056A287-EB3D-4385-BC1F-BD33E6E841DD.jpeg 9D06BF66-53AC-46F6-98F9-EAAA260BDBAC.jpeg

From my phone on the run I would Hazzard a guess that metro FTA aggregate numbers (or the ridiculous aggregating of three hour averages) would be around 15 million after 9 rounds. Even if they were 20 million 1% would only equate to 200k

I'll demonstrate properly a bit later

So RussellEbertHandball

Anzac day 2019 had 111K more FTA viewers

Anzac Day eve 2019 (on a Wednesday night) actually had 203K more

As it happens the same number of rounds were affected by daylight savings in 2019 so the Perth ratings aren't relevant

But the 310K (obviously you can't necessarily categorically directly attribute this to having anzac day on a Sunday) represents around 2/5ths of the apparent drop off in metro ratings. You've effectively lost a marquee game compared to 2019 at the same stage

But lets take the 5% and make the very generous assumption that the average metro ratings are 400K. 5% of this is 20K. 17% of 240K foxtel / kayo viewers (again very conservatively taking the average that includes all the cross over dead ratings games) is 34K.

So the Foxtel / Kayo numbers increase comfortably exceed the metro fta drop even not taking into account the impact of anzac day.

Vic is different to WA

the MCC and Marvel own the seats. they sell some blocks to the clubs for members reserved seating, and they retain the rest for GA and premium sales. I know Richmond has had requests for greater allocations at the G rejected because the MCC want to sell those seats themselves (they earn more selling them to the public than to the clubs)

Doesn't sound that much different to WA. The stadium owns the seats and rents them to the clubs for millions a year.

Ultimately the MCG is government owned. If the clubs believe they're getting screwed by the MCC, get in the media and yell about it. Probably try and renegotiate first though.

Doesn't sound that much different to WA. The stadium owns the seats and rents them to the clubs for millions a year.

Ultimately the MCG is government owned. If the clubs believe they're getting screwed by the MCC, get in the media and yell about it. Probably try and renegotiate first though.

It's completely different:

1) the MCC isn't renting out the entire ground. They retain the some of the advertising rights, the MCC seating, much of corporate boxes, and a chunk of the public seating (for them to sell).

2) most club's don't have a deal with the MCC or marvel, they have to accept the deal the AFL has negotiated with the MCC and itself

3) the AFL retains the right to decide where games are played. As such, even if clubs complain to govt it means nothing because the AFL can simply switch them to 100% marvel.

there is a reason Geelong doesn't play all its home games in Geelong, and why mcg tenants play home games at Marvel, they have no say in the matter

2019 map , pretty sure 15k or less..
View attachment 1131979

Just to clarify and this is direct from the membership dept
Richmond have 22,000 reserve seat holders. Which includes 2,000 (3121 members) plus a few thousand roaming tiger members. All up bout 24-25K

For those not sure what roaming tiger is, the club has a few allocated bays by memory in M1/M2 where you don’t have a specified seat but can sit anywhere in the bay which is next to the cheer squad who occupy M3

Last edited:
Won't change. The AFL will never give that power back to the Vic clubs

No but it could change if North and the Hawks games come back to Victoria. The over-riding reason previously was games requirements at the MCG and Docklands - the game contract should not be a concern at Docklands except in terms of finance. 7 matches a year currently in Tasmania, 2 games a year at Mars, 1 in Cairns and 2 in the NT. Bring some of those back and the requirements for Geelong to play in Melbourne cease to exist except for attendance reasons - Geelong draw well against big clubs and there are bonuses for the league and clubs if attendance targets are met at the MCG and obvious financial benefits to playing more games at Marvel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back