Play Nice 2021 Crowds and Ratings Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
14,787 for the two-goal Tiges v St Kilda. Were more tickets sold and people didnā€™t show up because of the weather or were bugger all sold in the first place?

14,787 for the two-goal Tiges v St Kilda. Were more tickets sold and people didnā€™t show up because of the weather or were bugger all sold in the first place?
Well thatā€™s perplexing. My guess:

1. Tickets didnā€™t sell out, and many didnā€™t bother as they thought they would.

2. Some who secured tickets didnā€™t bother based on the rain risk

Obviously the lingering covid restrictions (25% capacity crowds) after the latest Vic outbreak probably the main factor.
That said the weather can't have helped either.

Besides this was never going to be a blockbuster given the Saints aren't a real finals contender this year.

I believe most of the tickets were redeemed (not sold as members have already paid up). A lot of people obviously decided not to turn up given the dismal weather.

Saints poor form going into the game was never going to sell out this Friday night fixture..

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I was expecting around 20k but maybe only finding out a day in advance that anyone was allowed to attend at all was a step too far for most people. The horrible weather was probably the final nail.

I know a mate who redeemed a free ticket as a member but decided not to go due to the rain. Since it costs nothing to redeem the ticket lots of people would have redeemed it and not bothered going

There's also the fact that there were cases of the delta strain announced after tickets went on sale and a day before and on the morning of the game.....and those cases (home and work) were in heartland areas of the teams involved

There's also the fact that there were cases of the delta strain announced after tickets went on sale and a day before and on the morning of the game.....and those cases (home and work) were in heartland areas of the teams involved
I wasn't able to go to the game for work reasons (thank goodness) but prob would've been put off with the latest cases and how you have to bunch together when going to the footy. Even if you don't catch it the prospect of being within a Tier 1 or 2 site is highly disruptive and stressful.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All tiger reserve seats were redeemed. From reading on the forums others who missed out tried but none were available. The weather was atrocious all day, subsided during the game but most already made up their mind to stay home. I did go and stayed till the end, pitiful display the worst in 10 years.

Our experience tonight. Went to scan in, we were asked where are your masks, I said oh mine is in my bag, it wasn't, but she still let me in.
Two others weren't allowed in unless they had masks, they went back to the car grabbed them and came back. Then once in the stadium, we could take it off. To get food you must wear masks.

I went to the toilets no s**t I had people half looking at me (or maybe I was just paranoid) because most were wearing masks and I wasn't.
After that just stayed in my seat and when that siren went just wanted out of there.

Last edited:
It will be interesting to see what the crowd tonight at the MCG will be. Bombers membership team were saying the tickets are nearly sold out.

I believe most of the tickets were redeemed (not sold as members have already paid up). A lot of people obviously decided not to turn up given the dismal weather.
Well they simply shouldnā€™t use redeemed a ticket. There were probably thousands of supporters who wouldā€™ve loved to have attended irrespective of weather. Difficult I know, however unless youā€™re almost a certainty to go, donā€™t redeem a ticket.

I decided not to redeem a high mark seat for tonightā€™s game due to potential weather. Iā€™d rather let somebody else go than redeem a seat and not go myself. I actually thought it through along those lines.

Yep it was very quiet, coming back from the basketball, and there were many Richmond fans that had left early. I'd say there were maybe only about 5k still in the ground when the game finished.

Only to be expected, would have been lucky to be 1000 St Kilda fans there
I think the late notice on crowd size and the weather plus people scared about the latest imported Delta Virus from Sydney would have all lead to the very poor crowd.
I expect both Saturday arvo matches to pull poor crowds maybe an all time low for North in Hobart and the so called fanatical Collingwood army will stay at home in large numbers.
The MCG crowd is more interesting as the Essendon fans are up and about and maybe few MCC Melbourne fans will rock up as well!

Last edited:
Maybe they shouldn't make it free to redeem a ticket for a match like this.

Even a dollar or 2 makes people think twice. Just human nature to take advantage of "free stuff" (and yes they paid for it via their membership)

Talking about free stuff. The Mercury giving away free tickets for the gold coast match. Just tried then and the offer seems to be sold out. Should push the attendance as the highest for the year.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

997k last night

Not bad considering it was one sided game between 8th and 13th but then watching top dog get knocked off probably keeps some interest going

I was expecting around 20k but maybe only finding out a day in advance that anyone was allowed to attend at all was a step too far for most people. The horrible weather was probably the final nail.

After waiting around all day to find out if I secured a ticket I found out at 7.30pm Thursday night.

By this stage I had presumed I didnā€™t get one and decided to head north for the weekend instead.

The stupid idiot trekked 4 hours there and 4 hours back last night for some bloody reason, late notice would of made it very hard for a lot of people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back