Strategy 2021 Draft and Hypothetical pick trade proposals

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lol seriously can we just have a ban on posting things ol clickbait Kornes says…

none of it is interesting and it’s all designed to just stir people up.

Hodgey wants a new rule! Hodgey gets a new rule.

No more clickbait s**t from Cornes in here.

Also:
Can we also threadban Rendell quotes. The bloke is senile.
Done ✔️

Contracted & on good money - I don't like where this is going.

*186cm defender coming off a 5 disposal game. Would be behind Day, Sicily, CJ, Hardwick, Scrimshaw, Impey & Howe (& Frost).

Can he play another role?
Contracted and good money, like Scrimshaw 😉. It's the reason we didn't have to give up much in a trade. Ash has shown a lot more at AFL level than Scrim had but optimistically it's the kind of thing that can shave a bit of trade value off, especially if they end up paying Kelly.

Elite endurance, speed, vision and kicking. Has always played behind the ball as a junior and now in the AFL but it was publicised that he has a lot of learning to do as a defender. I see him as a wing at Hawthorn, which is something we need and probably suits his natural game better.

I have no reason to think he's upset but it's the kind of profile we would be looking out for.

Lachie Ash dropped again. There's a kid who has what we need in spades and seemingly the Giants aren't happy with his performances.

Vic kid, high draft pick, extended earlier in the year probably on good money knowing the strategy of the expansion clubs. Wonder if there's an opportunity there?

He was playing some really good footy earlier this season.

Attack Stringer and if Essendon play hard ball... He goes into pre-season draft
I literally read that as you wanted to physically assault stringer. Then had to re-read to catch your meaning. Reading one probably made more sense than your intended imo

This is a change that really should be made...
I can't stand this year hoping my team loses, it's miserable.
Bottom 4 lottery
Bottom 40% chance
2nd Bottom 30% chance
3rd Bottom 20% chance
4th Bottom 10% chance.
How hard is that for the AFL to see this is a change for the good of the game..
But it doesn't solve tanking, what happens when a team is 5th last with a month to go? All of a sudden lose a few games end up 4th last and pray to the lottery gods.

Is it better than what we currently have? Probably

Will it solve tanking? Absolutely not.

Also Tanking is legit not anywhere near as big of an issue as people make out, i can highlight countless times teams have won 'meaningless' games late in seasons that have cost them picks.

Throw all the money at Jelly (seriously, how do we fill a salary cap next few years?), next years first to dogs for Dunkley and take best mid available at the draft.

Grab Max Lynch from the pies and we have rebuilt our midfield in a year. If one of the key forwards (Lewis, Callow, Jeka) can start to dominate alongside Kosi we are a lot closer than people may think.

Would even contemplate trading titch for another top-10 if possible and get an elite small forward / HFF type if one exists.

*wakes up from dream

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Since last season we have acquired Brockman, Bramble and Grainger- Barass who have already become best 22 players.
Note that we did not have to trade out any players to acquire them.
This thought process that we must trade to get another top ten pick feels a bit reactionary and unnecessary.

Since last season we have acquired Brockman, Bramble and Grainger- Barass who have already become best 22 players.
This thought process that we must trade to get another top ten pick feels a bit reactionary and unnecessary.
Agreed. I would be looking to pick off the dogs first pick as a case of opportunism. But jettisoning our best players if they don't want to go doesn't make alot of sense. Something like

Dogs 1st, their 2022 first and 3rd

Hawks 2x seconds and our future 2022 second.

Means we move up in this year's order and secure a first in the futures market.

Out of those three I’d say dgb (pick 6) is the most likely to be a star of the comp. reality is a majority of the best players in the comp are top 10/first round picks. Look at our three peat sides, roughead, Franklin, hodge, Lewis all top 10 picks, birchall, rioli, Burgoyne just outside the top 10. You can always find some gold later in the draft, but you can’t rely on them to become stars and match winners. I don’t think we need to sell everyone off, but the last 3/4 years has shown that our midfield is probably the worst in the comp. it needs a shake up or we’ll just continue getting destroyed in there

Meh… spend the cash to get Kelly over. 2mil straight up and 700k for 5 years.
Do the something similar with Darcy Moore next year.
As much as I love the sentiment... I don't think he's worth it (without a sweetener). It's hard to say how he'd perform in a different side though.

There might be a way to make it better for us though.

If he comes to us via FA, then GilWS get Band 1 compo. If he stays, they tie up $8m over 8yrs (or some such stupidity). They kinda need him to leave.

So what's it worth to them to 'lose' him?

One of their jet young midfielders for one of our 2nd Rounders would make me feel better about over-spending (cash) on Kelly. Tanner Bruhn as a FWD/MID oughta do it (or Isaac Cumming).

With Pick 4 (C'wood), Pick 10 (theirs) & Pick 11 (compo) they'll end up with a bunch of new midfielders anyway - losing one won't hurt them.

*$5.5m for 6yrs @ Kelly - even that is crazy, but any more is just silly.

As much as I love the sentiment... I don't think he's worth it (without a sweetener). It's hard to say how he'd perform in a different side though.

There might be a way to make it better for us though.

If he comes to us via FA, then GilWS get Band 1 compo. If he stays, they tie up $8m over 8yrs (or some such stupidity). They kinda need him to leave.

So what's it worth to them to 'lose' him?

One of their jet young midfielders for one of our 2nd Rounders would make me feel better about over-spending (cash) on Kelly. Tanner Bruhn as a FWD/MID oughta do it (or Isaac Cumming).

With Pick 4 (C'wood), Pick 10 (theirs) & Pick 11 (compo) they'll end up with a bunch of new midfielders anyway - losing one won't hurt them.

*$5.5m for 6yrs @ Kelly - even that is crazy, but any more is just silly.

I think you are spot on with Isaac Cummings. I have watched a fair bit of GWS and always liked the look of this kid with ball in hand. Has genuine speed and looks composed. Unfortunately for him the Giants just haven’t been able to get him in consistently until this season. Throw him into the halfback/wing mix and we have a stable of racehorses when fit and gives us the flexibility to roll guys up the ground more.
I’d be inclined to ask the question anyway without the Kelly deal as the kid has a pretty high ceiling and a bunch of qualities that would suit Hawthorn perfectly.

Honestly, Kelly doesn’t really do it for me either with what it would cost but if the pain was taken in year 1 and then a “back to normal” value I think it’s worth the shot. I would say the same for Billing’s who I am coming around to as the FA target

Who do we pay minimum salary cap to, given we have already been front-ending for years? Just keep overpaying those on a bottom 4 list? Completely agree about the next 2 drafts but if we can get quality on the list via free agency, do it given we have to hit the cap anyway and our list doesn’t justify it otherwise. That doesn’t need to be a big name, could be 2 decent players instead

Pay increases could easily be

Day $200 000 - $300 000
CJ $200 000 - $300 000
Koschitzke $100 000 - $200 000
Moore $100 000 - $200 000
Reeves $100 000 - $200 000
Hardwick $100 000 - $200 000
Whatever the figure Newcombe put on his head for next year
Have to sign Bramble to a full contract

Pay increases could easily be

Day $200 000 - $300 000
CJ $200 000 - $300 000
Koschitzke $100 000 - $200 000
Moore $100 000 - $200 000
Reeves $100 000 - $200 000
Hardwick $100 000 - $200 000
Whatever the figure Newcombe put on his head for next year
Have to sign Bramble to a full contract
But our highest paid players - Mitchell etc - likely to be dropping off a lot having been front ended the last few years. Bottom line is with a bottom 4 list you either overpay existing players or get some new players in, and probably overpay them. Those are the two options. Neither are great but that’s the product of the minimum salary cap for clubs with poor lists

But our highest paid players - Mitchell etc - likely to be dropping off a lot having been front ended the last few years. Bottom line is with a bottom 4 list you either overpay existing players or get some new players in, and probably overpay them. Those are the two options. Neither are great but that’s the product of the minimum salary cap for clubs with poor lists
You never over pay a player, if Keenan Brooksby is on $150 000 you don't go and pay him $250 000. You do just keep front ending and banking for future years. You may go to the Premiership players who took unders for years and give them a nice bonus if you can't bank any more.

The worst outcome is that you front end contracts and then players leave/ask to be traded for the low $$ years at the end.

But I wonder if this can work in our favour.

If we front ended Mitchell and now his salary is back to something ridiculously low - then he seeks an exit and we demand top trade value because he's a quality player.

The worst outcome is that you front end contracts and then players leave/ask to be traded for the low $$ years at the end.

But I wonder if this can work in our favour.

If we front ended Mitchell and now his salary is back to something ridiculously low - then he seeks an exit and we demand top trade value because he's a quality player.
That is why Ablett, Gibbs, Beams and Neale left - they were on front ended contracts so their wage for the next years was low so they go to a new club and get paid a new amount which is their negotiated market value.

Peoples thoughts on Rory Lobb?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back