Strategy 2021 Draft and Hypothetical pick trade proposals

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lol seriously can we just have a ban on posting things ol clickbait Kornes says…

none of it is interesting and it’s all designed to just stir people up.

Hodgey wants a new rule! Hodgey gets a new rule.

No more clickbait s**t from Cornes in here.

Also:
Can we also threadban Rendell quotes. The bloke is senile.
Done ✔️

Sincerely hope not. As a previous poster suggested, he's not that good. The hype around him appears to be more because he's a former pick 5 and gettable and less about what he has produced already.

The vibe around hawthorn over the last while has been around going to the draft so you'd think we'd keep our pick 5. In saying that, Hawthorn make me nervous at this time of year, you never quite know what we're going to do.

IMO he's very good. He would be the best kick in our midfield alongside Wingard.

To compare him to one of our own - he's bigger, quicker and more skilful than Worpel. He's also a year younger than him.

People seem to have this misconception that he's purely an outside midfielder, but both he and Worpel averaged 8 contested touches a game this season. Granted Worpel has had his role changed compared to his 2019 season (when he averaged 12), but this season shows that Cerra has a well rounded game, as he can play both inside and outside.

Last edited:

No it's not... Was DGB pick 4 or pick 6 ?

Yeah.

If the first 5 selections in the draft were going to be father sons, it wouldn't make any sense to talk about the implications of trading 'pick 1', nor talking about how valuable 'pick 1' has been historically. For most practical purposes (especially discussing trade value), it's best to consider it pick 6...

Even if you're a selector sitting down, seeing who you are going to select, you still need to consider club-aligned players in your order for bids.

If you're assessing who is going to be at the club next year then sure, cross out academy names, but it makes little practical sense to say DGB was a pick 4, or that Hawthorn can trade a 'top 5' pick.

Seems some are very hard-line on this, though...

don't think anyone has suggested that
He is grossly overrated

he has played a Brad Hill type role predominantly and his output to date is no better than what Hill had produced before he left Hawthorn. So what that they drafted him at 5.
Bit like the talk on the value of Stephens at the Swans. The blokes not worth a third rounder on exposed form but the swans want a second.

wide pass on Cerra. He is no better than Bramble

Tough choice..

why risk ? Because our pick 7 could be an absolute superstar if we got it right.

Cerra is a more safe option though as he's a known quantity.
Another good thing if we get Cerra it will piss off Carltank so head F#cking the bluebaggers for years what could of been is priceless worth more than Pick 7.

Refer to John Platten been in tears the blue baggers for decades.

And add another if they don't actually get Clarkson as coach will be fantastic outcomes.

Go Go Cerra 😁

Another good thing if we get Cerra it will piss off Carltank so head F#cking the bluebaggers for years what could of been is priceless worth more than Pick 7.

And add another if they don't actually get Clarkson as coach will be fantastic outcomes.

Go Go Cerra 😁

The thing is, if Cerra sees the Carlton project as more exciting than the Hawthorn one then I don't really want to chase him that hard. We need players to buy into the Mitchell process and if that means doing it through the draft, then that's the way to go.

so you've suggested that he's not worth 2 first rounders (although no one thinks he is either and it hasn't been suggested), and now you're adding he is overrated.
Oh it’s been suggested alright. Minimum first rounder for Carlton pls potential future first and something going the other way. Pretty sure that been peddled by media types

edit that’s what this article is suggesting

Last edited:
He is grossly overrated

he has played a Brad Hill type role predominantly and his output to date is no better than what Hill had produced before he left Hawthorn. So what that they drafted him at 5.
Bit like the talk on the value of Stephens at the Swans. The blokes not worth a third rounder on exposed form but the swans want a second.

wide pass on Cerra. He is no better than Bramble

Absolutely laughable post. It's almost as if you've actually never watched Cerra play.

Last edited:
Mr P. He was referring to missing shots when kicking for goal. Not missing games.
The post was:

"I have memories of some costly misses in big finals! Regardless, I agree he’s a star, but I would be surprised if we get an offer better than second round given the injury history"

to me that is Injury history....

Oh it’s been suggested alright. Minimum first rounder for Carlton pls potential future first and something going the other way. Pretty sure that been peddled by media types
Nothing on this thread where the discussion is taking place. I haven't seen any media saying its 2 firsts

in any event....2 firsts with a second coming back isn't the same as 2 firsts

If the price of a widget is $35 and I give you a $50 note, then you give me $15 change, then i've paid $35....not $50

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really difficult to speculate this early on. My take on a few of these scenarios.

1. There’s no evidence we have entertained Cerra, looks like we have missed on Schultz. Good luck to the Blues it’ll cost them pick 6?? Cripps?? And they’ll over pay once again. They are a rabble.

2. The Pies exodus looks to continue, One of Bucks boys Maynard is linked to Adelaide and they are chasing picks.

3. Our club is committed to retaining our talent. None of our A graders are being shopped. We still have some contracts to sort out. CJ extension needs to be announced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah so would I, I think Pick 7 on its own is an interesting discussion though.

I really hope the club focus on another youngster with our pick 5.

I actually don't think we gain by recruiting a very good 21 year old when we can draft a very good 18 year old.
Especially if it costs us pick 5 and something/someone else or $$$$.

Leave it to Carlton.

I really hope the club focus on another youngster with our pick 5.

I actually don't think we gain by recruiting a very good 21 year old when we can draft a very good 18 year old.
Especially if it costs us pick 5 and something/someone else or $$$$.

Leave it to Carlton.

I'm more than happy to go to the draft with our pick, I'm just trying to open minded here and say getting Cerra mitigates the risk when it comes to potentially drafting a flop, that's all I'm saying.

Go Go Cerra 😁
I wouldn’t think they could get more head f#ked then they currently are now

Guaranteed after we acquired him Cerra with pick 7 straight swap and he gracefully dons the brown and gold everyone in this board will see the see the star midfielder.

like when Rick Nixon i disliked him but when he pulled on the Hawks jumper I started to like him😁.

Nothing on this thread where the discussion is taking place. I haven't seen any media saying its 2 firsts

in any event....2 firsts with a second coming back isn't the same as 2 firsts

If the price of a widget is $35 and I give you a $50 note, then you give me $15 change, then i've paid $35....not $50
Pick 6 plus significant others
Gross overs

I'm thinking with Cerra likely to head to Carlton, that the only destination for Tom Mitchell could be Richmond ? other than staying at us.

If Richmond are desperate for Mitchell as they want another legit crack in the next year or 2, I'd say only do it if we get Pick 9 and Geelong's 1st for 1 of our early 2nds ( Richmond own Geelong's 1st) Now Richmond might not be keen on that, but they aren't winning another one with the current midfield and I'm more than happy to keep Mitchell if they don't entertain it.

IMO he's very good. He would be the best kick in our midfield alongside Wingard.

To compare him to one of our own - he's bigger, quicker and more skilful than Worpel. He's also a year younger than him.

People seem to have this misconception that he's purely an outside midfielder, but both he and Worpel averaged 8 contested touches a game this season. Granted Worpel has had his role changed compared to his 2019 season (when he averaged 12), but this season shows that Cerra has a well rounded game, as he can play both inside and outside.
Lachie Bramble is a closer comparison than Worpel, IMO.

And given Bramble is 10 AFL games into his career (as opposed to 76) & still only 23, from a development perspective, I'm very happy with how Bramble compares to Cerra.
https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy...d2=9&type=A&pid1=6909&pid2=6476&fid1=S&fid2=S

It'd be sweet to have them both (of course), but I think we can do better with Pick 5 (7) than Cerra for what we need.

well this is awkward...

so if all our defenders played their roles perfectly, then how come we conceded over 500 scoring shots in 2021??? Who defended worse than Hartigan?

Think some of the supporters on here are living in fantasy land regarding our defensive structures. All this talk about how promising our defense is yet no one is to blame for the large amount of scoring shots we conceded.

Forwards kicked 3 and 4 on us every game.

The two worst defenders for us this year were the two KPD's Frost and Hartigan imo.

Yeah * it's almost like it's harder to defend when the opposition are entering their forward 50 consistently and accurately due to a lack of midfeild pressure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back