AFL Grand Final 2021 Grand Final - Melbourne vs Western Bulldogs - Sat, Sept 25 - 5:15pm AWST / 7:15pm AEST

Who you want to win the flag?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Still hard to believe this moment was more than halfway through the third… View attachment 1246314
I was actually concerned for Melbourne at this point because not one player came in to ‘fly the flag’ to support Gawn. Obviously they let their play do the talking. Stellar effort from almost that point.

Last edited:

I was actually concerned for Melbourne at this point because not one player came in to ‘fly the flag’ to support Gawn. Obviously they let their play do the talking. Stellar effort from almost that point.
I am not sure what everyone else is seeing here. Daniel let him go long before the crucial point, there was no slamming to the turf, Gawn flopped. Yes there was a free kick, but there was no slamming to the turf. Flying the flag would have brought this more to the surface.

Gotta say, all Melbourne players are very likeable. Caleb Daniel was doing a few dirty things out there and the whole time Melbourne just played football. It is hard not to like them.

They are going to win a few - I love the way they play.

While it is fun to hang it on St Kilda for taking McCartin before Petracca and Billings before Bont - but the worst drafting performance maybe ever was the Demons in 09. They had a massive win with Gawn at pick 34 BUT had pick 1,2,11 and 18 - Took Scully, Trengove, Gysberts and Tapscott. Dustin Martin went pick 3 Ben Cunnington pick 5 and Nat Fyfe pick 20. Shows the inexact science of the draft

Norm Smith voting.

Luke Hodge (Channel 7)

3 Christian Petracca

2 Bayley Fritsch

1 Clayton Oliver

Harry Taylor (ABC radio)

3 Christian Petracca

2 Bayley Fritsch

1 Christian Salem

Tania Armstrong (Triple M)

3 Christian Petracca

2 Bayley Fritsch

1 Clayton Oliver

Andrew Krakouer (NIRS and Yokayi Footy Show)

3 Christian Petracca

2 Bayley Fritsch

1 Caleb Daniel

Callum Twomey (AFL.com.au)

3 Christian Petracca

2 Bayley Fritsch

1 Clayton Oliver

Totals

Petracca 15

Fritsch 10

Oliver 3

Salem 1

Daniel 1

There should only ever be ex-players or coaches on that panel. Particularly ex winners of the medal.

Not that I disagree with any of the voting there.

While it is fun to hang it on St Kilda for taking McCartin before Petracca and Billings before Bont - but the worst drafting performance maybe ever was the Demons in 09. They had a massive win with Gawn at pick 34 BUT had pick 1,2,11 and 18 - Took Scully, Trengove, Gysberts and Tapscott. Dustin Martin went pick 3 Ben Cunnington pick 5 and Nat Fyfe pick 20. Shows the inexact science of the draft
Jack Watts to the year earlier but you could argue that got them Fritsch

Daniel had a relatively poor game I felt. Able to win a lot of ball playing loose but had some woeful turnovers under no pressure that lead to goals and his one on one defending is really poor that other dogs had to cover for him.

It works when he’s delivering the ball well, when he doesn’t though it makes that whole defence struggle.

The problem for Bulldogs is less that their ruck stocks are below average, as Gawn wasn't as big a factor as you'd think, but more that they have one bloke in their D50 who is above average as a player and that's Caleb Daniel. That said, Daniel is an absolute liability due to his height and the fact that any player he gets rotated on has an advantage in the contest.

Their D50 would have to be one of the worst in the league, they're lucky that their midfield is typically good enough to stop too much ball from getting down there. Wasn't the case here.

Daniel, Dale, Williams and Duryea are all good players, and the first three in particular are great kicks. Though only Williams and Duryea can actually defend against an opponent.

I thought Duryea did a good job on Pickett, who was a complete non-factor in the game (only 4 touches).

Too many times I saw Daniel isolated against Petracca or someone who was going to roast him if the ball was kicked their way. It seemed to be a clear tactic, which is hardly surprising.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jack Watts to the year earlier but you could argue that got them Fritsch
How could I forget Watts over Nic Nat while I'm at it they chose Toumpas over Wines - Really they've had more chances to get it right than any club in the last 30 years so they had to eventually nail them

he seemed to lift as Gawn got slammed into the astro turf

2 rucks work if you dont lose mobility

2 rucks works really well when you have the best ruck and arguably the best ruck/fwd in the game.

hi hawks fans!
would just like to acknowledge that Sam Frost moving to you guys led to us picking up Ben Brown as the pick we gained from you was traded to North,

Thanks and this is Frosty's premiership too!

We caught both teams at a good time and we had zero expectations.

If our squad was plopped into an intense final right now - cricket score

Yup. That win and draw were positive signs but certainly not an indicator of our overall ability. Adelaide beat Melbourne during the season but they’re not going to be contending for a flag next year. Those final few games were good signs but certainly not what our expectations should be versus top sides next year.

Yup. That win and draw were positive signs but certainly not an indicator of our overall ability. Adelaide beat Melbourne during the season but they’re not going to be contending for a flag next year. Those final few games were good signs but certainly not what our expectations should be versus top sides next year.

The huge irony in all this talk is when Hawthorn would get smashed by some flog team when they were dominating - usually Richmond - we would all dismiss it as a massive training block.

Now that we are the flog team it is a sure sign 🤣

Last edited:
hi hawks fans!
would just like to acknowledge that Sam Frost moving to you guys led to us picking up Ben Brown as the pick we gained from you was traded to North,

Thanks and this is Frosty's premiership too!
Crazy to think when Melbourne won their 12th flag we had 1. Now we both sit on 13.

Win the preliminary final by 83.
Win the grand final by 74 after being down by 19 midway through the third quarter.

Can't get a much more emphatic premiership than that to break a 57 year drought. Congrats to the Dees. :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Storm lost (which they have an annoying habit of doing in the biggest games), so I'm probably going to give the N(SW)RL Grand Final a miss, and the A-league doesn’t start till November 19. So right now I'm stuck in the No Man's Land that is Spring Racing Carnival time. T20 World Cup is on soon, but as it's in UAE/Oman, I can't see myself getting up/staying up for it. Also I can't be bothered with the NFL, MLB, or any of the European football leagues any more.

Win the preliminary final by 83.
Win the grand final by 74 after being down by 19 midway through the third quarter.

Can't get a much more emphatic premiership than that to break a 57 year drought. Congrats to the Dees. :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Storm lost (which they have an annoying habit of doing in the biggest games), so I'm probably going to give the N(SW)RL Grand Final a miss, and the A-league doesn’t start till November 19. So right now I'm stuck in the No Man's Land that is Spring Racing Carnival time. T20 World Cup is on soon, but as it's in UAE/Oman, I can't see myself getting up/staying up for it. Also I can't be bothered with the NFL, MLB, or any of the European football leagues any more.

NBA starts in October if you want to watch 100s of meaningless games before the Nets and Lakers play in the finals.

Back