List Mgmt. 2021 List Management: Draft, Trade, Free Agency and Academy

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Darcy Tucker is the most vanilla player I have seen since Nick Suburban. Trade.

Defintely agree with that. MJ had his own strengths though and I don't see any of them (except reading the flight) in Chapman.

To be fair to Chapman, MJ is a pretty high bar.

I think the athleticism, lateral movement and ability below his knees is very akin to MJ. The rest in terms of his overall game and general nous i think its far to early to compare. I actually think its generally a really lazy comparison and whoever made it done it purely because they are earmarked for a similar role at the same club.

To be fair to Chapman, MJ is a pretty high bar.

I think the athleticism, lateral movement and ability below his knees is very akin to MJ. The rest in terms of his overall game and general nous i think its far to early to compare. I actually think its generally a really lazy comparison and whoever made it done it purely because they are earmarked for a similar role at the same club.
The reason they look different to me is the laconic MJ vs hectic Chapman. MJ was composed and a good decision maker and kick. Chapman seems more run with the ball type rebounder. Composure might come with time, but he still seems to do everything at 100%.

From memory Brisbane asked for more than pick 16. In hindsight pick 16 was plenty but when you think about it was a guy who very good both forward and in the ruck. Probably fair enough they asked for more at the time.

Allow us to trade future picks at the time and I’m convinced both Clark and Yeo end up at Freo tbh.

According to Brisbane's talent manager Robb Kerr;
"On Friday evening, negotiations with Fremantle recommenced. They reaffirmed their offer of Pick No.16, and we again rejected it. However, within a few hours Fremantle made a concession, which we genuinely explored and considered. While we ultimately rejected that offer, alternatives were cavassed and I was confident that we were getting close to an agreement.

Discussions with Mitch’s Manager suggested that Melbourne were making a final pitch for Mitch, although he felt it would not impact Mitch’s decision to nominate Fremantle as the club of his choice.

So by Saturday evening, I was informed that Mitch was close to making a final decision on his club of choice, and was confident we would achieve an acceptable deal with either club."

He doesn't mention what the concession was, but GWS had traded us the rights to a player that previously nominated for the draft, so it could've been that.

I also find it interest that he felt there was a big difference between pick 16 and pick 12. "While many supporters might ask if there is really much difference between Pick No.12 and Pick No.16, our recruiters’ view was a definite ‘YES’. The Lions’ list profile requires some genuine change, and our recruiting team’s view is that Pick No.12 gives us a significantly greater chance of achieving that than Pick No.16. "

Looking back he appears to be right.
Mitch Clark.jpg

From memory Brisbane asked for more than pick 16. In hindsight pick 16 was plenty but when you think about it was a guy who very good both forward and in the ruck. Probably fair enough they asked for more at the time.

Allow us to trade future picks at the time and I’m convinced both Clark and Yeo end up at Freo tbh.

One of the ironies here is that Brisbane were interested in Zac Clarke (according to this Duffield article at the time)

"Sources confirmed Brisbane have shown interest in Fremantle's emerging ruckman Zac Clarke, who the Dockers have contracted until the end of 2013 to take him beyond the reach of GWS and Gold Coast recruiting concessions."

Palmer's $2m head-turner | The West Australian

The other thing was that we didn't have to use that end of 1st round compensation pick for Rhys Palmer in the draft that year. We could have held it off for another draft - but I reckon we decided to cash it in, thinking it would be what Brisbane would accept for Mitchell Clark.

The attempted Mitch Clark trade was supposed to have been the answer. I still wonder if he was in Perth and playing in a team which wasn't losing by 100 points every week (look at Melbourne's start to 2013 ... good lord), he may have been able to cope with his mental health issues for a bit longer. Even if he only gave us a couple of years, it would have been the difference. The pick we ended up keeping was used on Sheridan.
Melbourne paid him way, way more money than either Brisbane or Freo were offering so when he went there and was injured the weight of expectations from that monster contract he was on ate away at him.

Arguably his injury history was already established before he moved, Brisbane wanted our #16 and #20 (I think) and we didn't want to give up the extra so Melbourne threw a huge deal in front of him and pick #12 ish on the table.

If he had landed with us it might be a different but same story, injured, but not carrying the same weight of expectations.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We win the 2013 Grand Final with Mitch Clark. Should’ve done the deal early on during trade week. We chase him hard and then tried to rip Brisbane off and got burnt by Colin Young’s greed.

Thank God Chris Bond is not at Freo anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Readings seems to think Jordan Clark wants in to the eagles.

That would be nice, Im sure the Eagles cant wait to deal with the Cats again.
WC wanted Kelly, Kelly wanted them, Cats demanded a set price.
I’ve said before if its between the two WA clubs, we will lose.
That’s why Lobb is here, WC would of baulked at his contract
price.
Better to go to the draft, take players who want in rather than mercenaries.

Is AFL the last professional sport where players leaving for more money are called mercenaries? I don’t have a single issue with players leaving clubs for a better contract.
I mean, majority of us would do the same right?

Is AFL the last professional sport where players leaving for more money are called mercenaries? I don’t have a single issue with players leaving clubs for a better contract.
I agree. But I can still be disappointed from a personal level that it effects my team, while acknowledging that it's best for them personally.

Of course. When a good player leaves it sucks, I just don’t agree with the notion that players leaving/arriving for money can’t “buy in” and be great for the club.
Plenty of players have stayed true to clubs, especially to win finals, flags, or just loyal to a cause.
Cats, Hawks, Tigers dont have dynasties without it.
Our greatest players Pav, Mundy even Fyfe could of left for more coin.

If we have to many midfielders and Blakely is surplus to our requirements why not trade him for WC’s Brander who can’t get a game ahead of Kennedy, Darling, Allan & Waterman. They even tried him on a wing but he lost his spot there as well. At 196cm and drafted as a KPF why not try him if it costs us a guy who we won’t play

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back