2021 - Make generational change

Remove this Banner Ad

It is by no means guaranteed that taking this course of action means certain losses every week, if you can somehow muster 6-8+ goals in a game that could be a winning score.
Correct but there's winning games because we're playing kids in long term roles and it's starting to click and there's winning games by grinding with blokes who have been exposed before.

Pick 1 disasters have contributed to our downfall.

LHansen - meanwhile j sellwood still playing. - 300 gamer.
S atley- Isaac Smith
Bread McKenzie
B mckay can't get a game
S durdin cant get a game.
T garner - could have had Grundy.

Hopefully we have turned the corner with jy LDU and tt. And hopefully Lmac finally nails down a position and starts playing some high quality games you would expect from a pick 8.

Tarrant as captain, players like Anderson, Dumont, Ziebell and Cunnington to be phased out. The rot start from the center. Of course these players are not terrible per say but precise that, they are not really setting the tones either. The quartet are the mainstay yet they are not really in the top 25 of AFL for skills in Disposal and speed. Very dangerous. Of course you got the list cloggers like Tyson, Jacobs, who needs to go. Campbell will be useful if goodie is to succumb to a season ending injury. Our list isn’t as bad as you think but the players we rely on are the ones indeed of gutting.
Please, please, quit it with your ridiculous hatred of Cunnington. So sick of seeing this delusional crap. You are pulling a classic Brad Scott, assessing the player based on his weaknesses instead of his strengths. The bloke is integral to our structure and our gameplan. It's no coincidence we've struggled so much while he's been out of the team.

Please, please, quit it with your ridiculous hatred of Cunnington. So sick of seeing this delusional crap. You are pulling a classic Brad Scott, assessing the player based on his weaknesses instead of his strengths. The bloke is integral to our structure and our gameplan. It's no coincidence we've struggled so much while he's been out of the team.
Just disregard everything they say.

It's easier that way.

It's tough because you have to develop a culture too which is about earning your spot. If McKay and/or Durdin haven't earned their spot through training and scratch matches, then giving them games seems counter-productive from a cultural point of view.

McKay and Durdin should really be asking themselves why they haven't gotten a game yet with the injuries to Larkey and Daw. It seems like every year we have the "we just need to give McKay/Durdin games and see if they've got it" discussion.

It's tough because you have to develop a culture too which is about earning your spot. If McKay and/or Durdin haven't earned their spot through training and scratch matches, then giving them games seems counter-productive from a cultural point of view.

McKay and Durdin should really be asking themselves why they haven't gotten a game yet with the injuries to Larkey and Daw. It seems like every year we have the "we just need to give McKay/Durdin games and see if they've got it" discussion.
I would think Walker is keeping McKay and Durdin out. They're not really genuine swingmen are they? It's really difficult without having the VFL to watch, but I must admit it's disappointing one of them can't push Macmillan out.

I'm sorry we don't see alike, but reality is the best form of truth. We are not exactly setting the world on fire with the aforementioned incumbents and they are all getting on a bit.

Just watched the blues thrash the dogs who spanked us last week, can't even call them fellow cellar dwellers anymore... they were playing exciting footy, and their kicking and ball handling was clean, at this rate, only adelaide I would say are hopeless enough to lose to us...

Just hit the ignore mate

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I’d like to see these 12 changes occur over the next two seasons.
2020 - Williams, Garner, Ahern, Durdin, Wood, MacMillan.
2021 - Ziebell, Pittard, Atley, Tyson, Hall, Hosie.

Can’t cut them all at once but * the contracts we gave to Tyson and Hall are terrible. Absolutely terrible business.

Murphy and McKay need a run at it, as does Hosie and I feel deserve an extended run to save their careers. They need to play.
Jacobs health issues and imminent retirement might give Ahern and or Garner one more shot at it. Or they might find themselves on the rookie list on minimum coin who knows.
Can see Garner taking up this offer considering the games he’s missed.

S atley- Isaac Smith
Bread McKenzie
B mckay can't get a game

Hopefully we have turned the corner with jy LDU and tt. And hopefully Lmac finally nails down a position and starts playing some high quality games you would expect from a pick 8.

We had Todd Goldstein. Why on earth would we have drafted Grundy?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’d like to see these 12 changes occur over the next two seasons.
2020 - Williams, Garner, Ahern, Durdin, Wood, MacMillan.
2021 - Ziebell, Pittard, Atley, Tyson, Hall, Hosie.

Can’t cut them all at once but fu** the contracts we gave to Tyson and Hall are terrible. Absolutely terrible business.

Murphy and McKay need a run at it, as does Hosie and I feel deserve an extended run to save their careers. They need to play.
Jacobs health issues and imminent retirement might give Ahern and or Garner one more shot at it. Or they might find themselves on the rookie list on minimum coin who knows.
Can see Garner taking up this offer considering the games he’s missed.

What’s your obsession with delisting Pittard?

What’s your obsession with delisting Pittard?
I was singing his praises happily following round 2 and lauding his contribution to our solid start to 2020.
But the last four weeks has really exposed our underbelly at halfback, and I have had a compete attitude shift in that no longer are most games won by centre clearances.
Modern footys been played between the arcs for a while now and we have always lagged behind in that department.
HBF is our weakest line. Has been for a while and whilst Jasper is honest and plays that role to the best of his ability, it’s not good enough if we want to contend. We have far too many medium types with average skills.
Atley and MacMillan arent the answer either, and Marleys the worst kick of them all - but we can’t replace them in one go.
We need to address this area and defenders with below average skills don’t cut it anymore.

I always assumed our forwards we’re inept at putting pressure inside our 50 and that we lacked footballers with pace. I think it’s more the repeat entries the opposition generate exaggerates the effectiveness of their forwards as we continually butcher the ball coming out.
A hell of a lot of our problems will be solved once we have elite ball users in our back 50.

I find the Cunnington hate a little odd, yeah he is as slow as a wet week, but he is very good to elite in everything else.
We just need the right balance around him to cover for that, and not have JZ, and Dumont in there.

For what it's worth i think Taz gets the captaincy and hen give it over to someone 2 years later. I want a captain that pushes people around and also one that delivers. We haven't had that since Carey.

My 15 year old keeps asking why I made him support North, and my 9 year old says how lucky I am to have seen two North Flags, and he thinks he won’t see any in his lifetime.

Not sure what to say to them.

Simpkin as captain? Why not.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

My 15 year old keeps asking why I made him support North, and my 9 year old says how lucky I am to have seen two North Flags, and he thinks he won’t see any in his lifetime.

Tell them about how there’s nothing better as a supporter then to see, feel your club and team struggle, ride through it and then it happens. Watch kids come through and become stars. Then when that flag is won it’s so satisfying.

Especially I the AFL things change so quick, teams go from bottom 4 to top 4. Winning teams drop off and usually go ordinary for 10ish years. Jumping on a team on top, the only way is down

Don't come on here for parenting advice mate, we will tell you to trade your children to GWS for a 2nd rounder.

I was singing his praises happily following round 2 and lauding his contribution to our solid start to 2020.
But the last four weeks has really exposed our underbelly at halfback, and I have had a compete attitude shift in that no longer are most games won by centre clearances.
Modern footys been played between the arcs for a while now and we have always lagged behind in that department.
HBF is our weakest line. Has been for a while and whilst Jasper is honest and plays that role to the best of his ability, it’s not good enough if we want to contend. We have far too many medium types with average skills.
Atley and MacMillan arent the answer either, and Marleys the worst kick of them all - but we can’t replace them in one go.
We need to address this area and defenders with below average skills don’t cut it anymore.

I always assumed our forwards we’re inept at putting pressure inside our 50 and that we lacked footballers with pace. I think it’s more the repeat entries the opposition generate exaggerates the effectiveness of their forwards as we continually butcher the ball coming out.
A hell of a lot of our problems will be solved once we have elite ball users in our back 50.
I've really noticed the same thing this year. It's not even about the individuals- there's a place for Macmillan, or Atley, or Williams, or Pittard in our half back line. But not all four - you could barely support two of them. And to think we had McDonald there as well!
The lack of creativity across half back as our most glaring issue and we don't have a lot in the midfield to compensate for it.
I must admit I'm concerned that Shaw's consistent answer when we're down is to bring more "intensity" or "pressure". Hopefully that's just an in-game response and there is a plan to address our systemic issues long term.

Throw TT and Higgins on to the half-back flanks. Guys that can visualise and execute a 40m plus kick that hits a target and opens up play rather than constant high and long down the line to 5m from the boundary. The pick whoever are the best two pure defenders out of the rest.

Throw TT and Higgins on to the half-back flanks. Guys that can visualise and execute a 40m plus kick that hits a target and opens up play rather than constant high and long down the line to 5m from the boundary. The pick whoever are the best two pure defenders out of the rest.

I think something along those lines isn't a bad short / mid term option. Of course, it may be that the team is happy enough to keep going as is in order to make some tough calls a lot clearer come end of year.

S atley- Isaac Smith
Bread McKenzie
B mckay can't get a game

picks from 2016 onwards have been doing alright

I've really noticed the same thing this year. It's not even about the individuals- there's a place for Macmillan, or Atley, or Williams, or Pittard in our half back line. But not all four - you could barely support two of them. And to think we had McDonald there as well!
The lack of creativity across half back as our most glaring issue and we don't have a lot in the midfield to compensate for it.
I must admit I'm concerned that Shaw's consistent answer when we're down is to bring more "intensity" or "pressure". Hopefully that's just an in-game response and there is a plan to address our systemic issues long term.

Dont count on it at NMFC, this is a generational issue, a coach or 3 isn't going to change too much of it. Carlton for better or worse is still not too flash....since 2003.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back