List Mgmt. 2021 Trade Targets

Remove this Banner Ad

Hate to say it, but Guthrie would provide a lot for us.

Yea he is high on the dislikes and d head scale, but is quick and tough, comes from a good system. Would give our midfield a much needed experienced, quick clearance and contested ball winner.

Merrett and Guthrie - would solve a lot of our midfield woes.

Wouldn’t mind us having a crack at Josh Kelly but the above two are higher priorities.

Lol as if we could pry McKay out of Victoria. Why would a guy whose just broken out, leave his state? We wouldn’t be offering more than anyone else?
Probably not, but we should be asking the question.

Reading our WB review thread has got me thinking about Todd Marshall.
Collingwood are supposedly in the hunt big time for a tall forward.
Marshall and our second rounder for De Goey?
I am not sure De Goey is what we need, and would much prefer Zach Merrett, but just wondering what others think.

Listening to Paul O'Connor commentate during the ESS vs freo game and Merrett came up. Suggested that he's not going to move, this is just about boosting his contract dollars. As a player manager he would probably have a feel for the inside talk.
Still should have a crack but I'm less confident will get him.

I am not sure De Goey is what we need, and would much prefer Zach Merrett, but just wondering what others think.
I think Fredericks would be very nervous

:sick::sick::sick::sick::sick::sick:

Even if he was what our list needed onfield I wouldn't want a bloke like that within 100 miles of our club.

DeGoey is no where near as good as his reputation to be honest.

We'd be silly to trade out Todd, even with his flaws.

Todd and MG are the next 10 years of our forward line.

Our biggest issue as a list and club right now is the midfield. Boak, Gray, Rocky all leaving in next couple years, from an already extremely shallow midfield. We need good mids, and we need plenty of them. A Merrett would be good if we get him without trading, but we need more than 1, and those quality mids need to be able to push out into other roles. Importantly we must avoid picking more *in flankers.

******* horrible suggestion.

let us, the team that hasn’t developed a kf itself since tredders fell into our laps, trade out a young kf who is about to come into his peak after developing him and looks the perfect partner for Georgiades for the next 8 years for an inconsistent quasi undersized medium key forward / part time midfielder with police charges hanging over his head and other issues..

Add Cody Weightman to the list of small forwards who have torn us a new one. Just reaffirms a small lockdown defender should definitely be on the shopping list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So Dixon is 30, and Marshall almost certainly isn't a KPF. I quite like the idea of Merrett, but a KPF should be our main target. However, the outlook is pretty grim.

The following four are the most decent looking options. All out of contract this year.
1. Harry McKay - likely get massive coin from Blues, but would have most clubs throwing offers at him.
2. Jacob Koschitzke - still very young, so you're hoping he develops. Likely get a few big-ish deals thrown his way, would he come to Adelaide?
3. Jake Riccardi - one big game last year, and a fair bit of nothing - late pick KPFs rarely make it so could have been a flash in the pan.
4. Ben McKay - North likely to throw squillions at him, and he's likely only ever a KPD.

Some second tier considerations look pretty bleak:
Josh Schache - out of contract 2022; very unlikely to develop beyond what he's shown so far
Sam Weideman - out of contract 2021; 6th year in the system and still only showing bits and pieces, likely only marginally better than Marshall as a KPF
Dan McStay (pre-FA) - could go cheap-ish as a pre-FA, but never been a primary KPF - may add some contested marking up forward to ease the load on Dixon, not a real long-term option.

Add Cody Weightman to the list of small forwards who have torn us a new one. Just reaffirms a small lockdown defender should definitely be on the shopping list.
We've got Burton doing that most weeks with Garner and Jones as small defenders, too. DBJ not being able to defend to save his life is a bit of an issue, but we definitely don't need a "lockdown" defender.

De Goey has talent on the football field but rarely realises it and I suspect he never well. I’m not sure he has or ever will reach the professionalism required on and off the field to get his fitness and head to the point of sustained success.

He isn’t really what we need, people see him as another Dustin Martin, whereas he really is an under sized key forward type.

He also has a significant court appearance coming up. He seems an average person - lying to coach and club, sexual assault charges, getting into fights at training with the leadership group. I don’t want him at port and nor should we chase him.

Listening to Paul O'Connor commentate during the ESS vs freo game and Merrett came up. Suggested that he's not going to move, this is just about boosting his contract dollars. As a player manager he would probably have a feel for the inside talk.
Still should have a crack but I'm less confident will get him.
Bump up Merrett's price, then grab Darcy Parish from under them. Parish is more of an on-baller than Merrett which is what we need more, but you'd run the risk that what he's done the last few weeks is just a rare purple patch.

After seeing Bont live on the wkend outside of dusty is the best player in the comp but don't think we could get him but should have a massive crack.
Both Merrett and Guthrie also would be huge gets anyone 1 of the 3 as free agents would be massive.
Would also be having a big crack at Luko the sun's seem to moving him around abit would be the perfect wingman I reckon.

Bump up Merrett's price, then grab Darcy Parish from under them. Parish is more of an on-baller than Merrett which is what we need more, but you'd run the risk that what he's done the last few weeks is just a rare purple patch.
Problem being we would have to trade for him were hopefully Merrett comes as a free agent spewing ess beat Freo on the wkend.
But agree Parish is a gun.

Just thought on Saturday night Zach Merrett with his left foot as a point of difference to our sameness would have made a huge difference. I dont mind Parish but looks like just another Mid at times.

Problem being we would have to trade for him were hopefully Merrett comes as a free agent spewing ess beat Freo on the wkend.
But agree Parish is a gun.
Yeah, that's where Merrett gets a big plus. I still do wonder if it will be money well spent, and if we could target a better need.

It does bring the topic up of who we could trade out that has any value. For mine:
Houston: I like the guy and he brings a lot to the team, but ultimately he's replaceable. If we get Merrett, Houston becomes even more surplus to requirements.
DBJ: Yeah he's AA last year but defenders who can't defend give me the shits. Problem is, without him we look a little too slow down back.
Marshall: Doubt he has huge currency, and even though he's not a genuine KPF I wouldn't trade him unless we were bringing a KPF back in.
Bonner: Replaceable. Would need to have a big few games this year to have much value.
SPP: If we are going to keep playing him as a fwd we might as well trade him. Off-field issues would limit his currency.

Yeah, that's where Merrett gets a big plus. I still do wonder if it will be money well spent, and if we could target a better need.

It does bring the topic up of who we could trade out that has any value. For mine:
Houston: I like the guy and he brings a lot to the team, but ultimately he's replaceable. If we get Merrett, Houston becomes even more surplus to requirements.
DBJ: Yeah he's AA last year but defenders who can't defend give me the shits. Problem is, without him we look a little too slow down back.
Marshall: Doubt he has huge currency, and even though he's not a genuine KPF I wouldn't trade him unless we were bringing a KPF back in.
Bonner: Replaceable. Would need to have a big few games this year to have much value.
SPP: If we are going to keep playing him as a fwd we might as well trade him. Off-field issues would limit his currency.
What makes you say DBJ cannot defend.
Statistically he leads the league by over 10% in Defence Half Pressure Acts for Defenders.
Top 6 for Tackles
Runs at 50% for One on One Contested Defence losses/Wins which is significantly better than most small defenders ie Liam Baker, Caleb Daniel, John Noble, Nick Vlasutin.
Also is 3rd in the league for Intercepts amongst Defenders.

What makes you say DBJ cannot defend.
Statistically he leads the league by over 10% in Defence Half Pressure Acts for Defenders.
Top 6 for Tackles
Runs at 50% for One on One Contested Defence losses/Wins which is significantly better than most small defenders ie Liam Baker, Caleb Daniel, John Noble, Nick Vlasutin.
Also is 3rd in the league for Intercepts amongst Defenders.
Haven't seen any stats for him, so going by eye. Gets caught up the ground a lot so loses his man a bit, and seems to regularly get beaten in one on ones up forward. The 50% 1v1 contested is an interesting stat though, so might have to look into it a bit more, but I still consider that I regularly see him nowhere near an opponent when the oppo get a quick break surging to goal, and tends to get regularly beaten when he is one on one up forward.

Haven't seen any stats for him, so going by eye. Gets caught up the ground a lot so loses his man a bit, and seems to regularly get beaten in one on ones up forward. The 50% 1v1 contested is an interesting stat though, so might have to look into it a bit more, but I still consider that I regularly see him nowhere near an opponent when the oppo get a quick break surging to goal, and tends to get regularly beaten when he is one on one up forward.
At the ground he regularly uses his pace to push up and pressure the ball carrier.

He does a mountain of team work.

If he was more selfish his defensive stats would be even better

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Our forward and backline is good enough to beat other teams and win a premiership. Our midfield gets smashed against teams with an elite midfield.

Butters & Rozee were supposed to step up this year but that isnt happening due to injury and Boak & Gray are going to fall off a cliff soon. We need 1-2 elite mids to come in if we want to be a serious contender

Remove this Banner Ad

Back