List Mgmt. 2021 Trade Targets

Remove this Banner Ad

Really dislike the drew hate in here, unbelievable tbh

I just think its ******* stupid. In his incredibly injury interrupted career, this has been his first proper season of consistency. He has played < 25 games and already cracked 30 disposals against a top 4 side in Brisbane. Going well with clearances as well. Getting his hands on the ball is what he needs to work on currently, but all other facets he is tracking extremely well.

Stephens is getting into Brodie territory in that he needs to learn how to run and how to defend, but he’ll get there.

Sadly it wont be with us

Staying at Sydney or heading elsewhere? We’re not interested?

Brodie is an interesting one. He was a solid junior and was seen as a big bodied contested mid. Lots on this board were keen. Seems obvious now that he was a big lad beating up juniors but never had that contested fire that players like Graham, Boak, SPP, Selwood, etc seem to have. That real fierceness and competitiveness that means you hit the training track earlier than everyone else, refuse to let another player get to the ball before you and instigate a fight with another player when you lose at pool (cough cough *hodge* cough cough).

It’s why I’ve gone off Luko - best junior KPF for awhile but has been playing as an uncontested HBF and not really living up to that potential (maybe I’m being harsh?).

Speaks to the idea that there must be some personality trait or on field numbers that reliably translate to a high chance of success. Contested ball or marking? Tackle count? Ground ball gets?

I think Stephens will end up at Adelaide and i'm not sure we are in the race for him at all.

Brodie might find a new home and he's shown he can find the ball and can win a clearance, but first his fitness wasnt up to standard, now he's just not doing the defensive things he needs to do to be an AFL midfielder. He might end up at a Carlton or Collingwood where they might hope to just play him and see what he can do, but i'd be surprised if he ended up anywhere decent. I know Adelaide were keen two years ago but not sure about now.

It could just be that he's just happy being on an AFL list and getting his $300-400k a year or whatever GC are paying him. But you can certainly see now why he dropped from being the potential pick 1 through the first half of his draft year to pick 9 where he went. The others who were fighting with him for that pick 1 spot (McGrath, McLugg, Taranto) are miles and miles ahead of him

I think Stephens will end up at Adelaide and i'm not sure we are in the race for him at all.

Brodie might find a new home and he's shown he can find the ball and can win a clearance, but first his fitness wasnt up to standard, now he's just not doing the defensive things he needs to do to be an AFL midfielder. He might end up at a Carlton or Collingwood where they might hope to just play him and see what he can do, but i'd be surprised if he ended up anywhere decent. I know Adelaide were keen two years ago but not sure about now.

It could just be that he's just happy being on an AFL list and getting his $300-400k a year or whatever GC are paying him. But you can certainly see now why he dropped from being the potential pick 1 through the first half of his draft year to pick 9 where he went. The others who were fighting with him for that pick 1 spot (McGrath, McLugg, Taranto) are miles and miles ahead of him
Hey Macca on a different player what about Jack Billings? All the media are saying he is on $750,000 but I was told as much as that is correct it is the last year of a backended deal. (which we all know happens but the media always forget to mention the first few years when he was paid a lesser figure)
He is definitely available. Saints havent done him any favours over the years with where they play him and he supposedly has plantafascia at the moment.
I dont mind him but really havent got a handle on him.
Plus he is free as RFA

Hey Macca on a different player what about Jack Billings? All the media are saying he is on $750,000 but I was told as much as that is correct it is the last year of a backended deal. (which we all know happens but the media always forget to mention the first few years when he was paid a lesser figure)
He is definitely available. Saints havent done him any favours over the years with where they play him and he supposedly has plantafascia at the moment.
I dont mind him but really havent got a handle on him.
Plus he is free as RFA

I like him, but it would cost a lot to get him out of Victoria

Billing’s strike me as the last player we need in every way possible.

I think at the price he comes at, agreed. He is undoubtedly an upgrade on Farrell, Woodcock and Bonner on that wing to half forward flank. Best scenario, Butters and Duursma are back, we get some inside help sending Amon more permanently back to wing/HFF and we don’t need Billings.

On a side note, we seem to desperately need centre square midfield support. Another clearance winner who can hit the opposition and win the ball. SPP plays this defensive HFF role and then pushes into the midfield from time to time. Why is Sam not there more often? Is he not fit or good enough? Am I just missing big chunks of his play? Cause if it’s the former then trade him out. If the later then maybe we need a defensive forward to allow Sam more time in the midfield - could Lienert/Bonner/McEntee/Woodcock/Frederick do that this year and then chase a Mitch Wallis type at season’s end?

I think at the price he comes at, agreed. He is undoubtedly an upgrade on Farrell, Woodcock and Bonner on that wing to half forward flank. Best scenario, Butters and Duursma are back, we get some inside help sending Amon more permanently back to wing/HFF and we don’t need Billings.
Farrell woodcock and Bonner? They’re not even first 22 players. Woodcock is probably going to be lucky to get another contract imo. if that’s who we’re upgrading with a free agent I would question the logoc

Besides billing’s whole , flaky outside one way player thing going on which we don’t need to add to our side we’ve got ball users galore to put across that hff
On a side note, we seem to desperately need centre square midfield support. Another clearance winner who can hit the opposition and win the ball.
yeah, I’ve been vocal on this matter lately. We’re very vulnerable to the teams with strong clearance winning teams. We just don’t have the same cattle to go with them and need all our mids to play their best to even come close. It will only get worse when boak / gray go / decline.

SPP plays this defensive HFF role and then pushes into the midfield from time to time. Why is Sam not there more often? Is he not fit or good enough? Am I just missing big chunks of his play?
when he debuted there was this big bullocking clearance winning and bursting clear midfielder that has since regressed into a ferocious tackling hff. We need the former, he has much more value to us. This off-season it’s make or break for spp imo. Nothing to do with fitness. He showed more in the midfield in his first year and he’s clearly fitter now. Very likely the coaches have gone away from blindly kicking forward and turning it over out of clearances and don’t trust spp for that reason in the role. He started to show signs of cleaning that up but then reversed back into it and now has made no improvement since drafted in that area. Looks like we prefer better users in the midfield now hence Amon / Houston / butters getting heaps of time there this year.

Cause if it’s the former then trade him out. If the later then maybe we need a defensive forward to allow Sam more time in the midfield - could Lienert/Bonner/McEntee/Woodcock/Frederick do that this year and then chase a Mitch Wallis type at season’s end?
Do we need a defensive forward? I dunno. Maybe, but the game has moved a bit away from that. I don’t want a guy who doesn’t offer anything else but that. I don’t see a need to go after someone for that role specifically. The great thing about our forward line since we added guys like Georgiades Fantasia and rozee is how goal hungry they are. They’re all dangerous goalkickers who can kicks a bunch quickly and it’s their main focus. Make defenders defend for once.
Spp has been serviceable in the role without being anything near what we hoped he would become.
would I trade him out? For the right trade? In a heartbeat. For nothing? No. Don’t think he has the attraction to other teams to get us what we would want for him.
If he could come back in 2022 as that clearance winning mid it would go a massive way to balancing out our running / contested game.

when he debuted there was this big bullocking clearance winning and bursting clear midfielder that has since regressed into a ferocious tackling hff. We need the former, he has much more value to us. This off-season it’s make or break for spp imo. Nothing to do with fitness. He showed more in the midfield in his first year and he’s clearly fitter now. Very likely the coaches have gone away from blindly kicking forward and turning it over out of clearances and don’t trust spp for that reason in the role. He started to show signs of cleaning that up but then reversed back into it and now has made no improvement since drafted in that area. Looks like we prefer better users in the midfield now hence Amon / Houston / butters getting heaps of time there this year.

Maybe put SPP back in the midfield and have Jones running at the ferocious tackling hff?

Farrell woodcock and Bonner? They’re not even first 22 players. Woodcock is probably going to be lucky to get another contract imo. if that’s who we’re upgrading with a free agent I would question the logoc

Besides billing’s whole , flaky outside one way player thing going on which we don’t need to add to our side we’ve got ball users galore to put across that hff
yeah, I’ve been vocal on this matter lately. We’re very vulnerable to the teams with strong clearance winning teams. We just don’t have the same cattle to go with them and need all our mids to play their best to even come close. It will only get worse when boak / gray go / decline.

Do we need a defensive forward? I dunno. Maybe, but the game has moved a bit away from that. I don’t want a guy who doesn’t offer anything else but that. I don’t see a need to go after someone for that role specifically. The great thing about our forward line since we added guys like Georgiades Fantasia and rozee is how goal hungry they are. They’re all dangerous goalkickers who can kicks a bunch quickly and it’s their main focus. Make defenders defend for once.
Spp has been serviceable in the role without being anything near what we hoped he would become.
would I trade him out? For the right trade? In a heartbeat. For nothing? No. Don’t think he has the attraction to other teams to get us what we would want for him.
If he could come back in 2022 as that clearance winning mid it would go a massive way to balancing out our running / contested game.
Coaches definitely want a Defensive Forward and that is why they went and got McEntee. I know it is SANFL but in 2 weeks he has had more tackles than half of our forwards have had in their last 10 games. He had 10 tackles last week alone. Problem is that was more than his possession tally. I wouldnt be surprised at all if he got a game before years end if he keeps putting up those tackle numbers.

I don’t disagree that Farrell, Woodcock and Bonner are depth but they’ve all played consistently this year due to injuries. We can’t assume that we will have a healthy 25 week in week out. I’m not arguing for Billings or for depth per se but rather pointing out a big part of our struggles this year has been our list. Brisbane covered Neale, Geelong Dangerfield, Richmond mostly covered all their injuries, take Duursma and Butters out and our game plan has fallen apart. Unfortunately our injuries have been numerous, to key players, in tough positions to replace and have also affected our next rung down (Mead, Schofield, Pasini).

Coaches definitely want a Defensive Forward and that is why they went and got McEntee. I know it is SANFL but in 2 weeks he has had more tackles than half of our forwards have had in their last 10 games. He had 10 tackles last week alone. Problem is that was more than his possession tally. I wouldnt be surprised at all if he got a game before years end if he keeps putting up those tackle numbers.

personally I hate that thinking. Tackling and pressure are important but they don’t count tackles on the scoreboard.

tackling pressure should be the 2nd / 3rd / 4th thing a player has to offer. Not his main trick.

Our forward line has looked way better since adding guys who can score first and foremost and offer other things alongside that like pressure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We can’t assume that we will have a healthy 25 week in week out. I’m not arguing for Billings or for depth per se but rather pointing out a big part of our struggles this year has been our list. Brisbane covered Neale, Geelong Dangerfield, Richmond mostly covered all their injuries, take Duursma and Butters out and our game plan has fallen apart. Unfortunately our injuries have been numerous, to key players, in tough positions to replace and have also affected our next rung down (Mead, Schofield, Pasini).
They’re pretty bad examples.

Geelong was a shambles and only climbed up the ladder once those players came back.

brisbane hasn’t had that bad an injury run from memory and still have looked very beatable. They’re equal with us on the ladder.

Richmond are below us on the ladder and fighting for a position in the 8.
i don’t think recruiting flaky players in positions of depth would help us cover losses in other positions to the point we change our fortunes.

They’re pretty bad examples.

Geelong was a shambles and only climbed up the ladder once those players came back.

brisbane hasn’t had that bad an injury run from memory and still have looked very beatable. They’re equal with us on the ladder.

Richmond are below us on the ladder and fighting for a position in the 8.
i don’t think recruiting flaky players in positions of depth would help us cover losses in other positions to the point we change our fortunes.

Brisbane lost a number of games until they had McStay back in the team. Have had 1 loss (to the Demons) from 9 since.

Geelong lost multiple games until round 6 when they got Jeremy Cameron back in the team. Have had 1 loss (to the Swans) from 8 since.

Structure is important. When good teams have their structure they win games. The rest of their injury lists haven't mattered in the slightest.

A little snippet on who they think we should chase lol now that Merrett is off the table

Dumont and Hewitt?
Wouldn't knock them we do lack depth even if Mead measures up. They are just depth though.

I would prefer to back Parker at the draft but if we’re bringing in a ready made player jarryd Lyons as a free agent as a guy to be that clearance winning mid and help us ease into life post gray and boak for a cpl of years would be my go. Wouldn’t stand a chance to pry him out of brissie tho.. at least he’s not a back end of list filler and actually fills a need.

Gold Coast putting pick 3 on the table for an experienced player.

the games are beginning early this year.

I wonder what exotic trade will be proposed by the media as a ”sure thing” to get player X to GC as they are the next big thing.

(Ladhams + first rounder? Clear the way to get a first round pick in before Burgoyne, who’s value seems to keep climbing - I’m not serious by the way)

the games are beginning early this year.

I wonder what exotic trade will be proposed by the media as a ”sure thing” to get player X to GC as they are the next big thing.

(Ladhams + first rounder? Clear the way to get a first round pick in before Burgoyne, who’s value seems to keep climbing - I’m not serious by the way)

" Experienced " I read that as a grown up with off field leadership qualities who doesn't buy into a Gold Coast lifestyle.

That's not Pete.

Lycett would not be open to trade?
Dixon? Houston?

They also just may be shaking the tree seeing who could be open to trade if there's a clean out at Gold Coast at the end of year?

" Experienced " I read that as a grown up with off field leadership qualities who doesn't buy into a Gold Coast lifestyle.

That's not Pete.

Lycett would not be open to trade?
Dixon? Houston?

They also just may be shaking the tree seeing who could be open to trade if there's a clean out at Gold Coast at the end of year?

Fair bit of tree shaking going on.

Lycett for pick 3…. Wow
Dixon for pick 3…. GC has tried that
Houston…. No

if they are after experienced players, they want a mid-20’s player of high value. The exact hole in Port’s list…

Fair bit of tree shaking going on.

Lycett for pick 3…. Wow
Dixon for pick 3…. GC has tried that
Houston…. No

if they are after experienced players, they want a mid-20’s player of high value. The exact hole in Port’s list…

How about Ollie wines. With pick 3 we could pick someone as good as Ollie wines

Remove this Banner Ad

Back