List Mgmt. 2021 Young Talent Time

Remove this Banner Ad

I would take Daicos and Horne-Francis (183-184cm) over the taller mids, but we won't have that option. I can't see how the players available to us won't be rated approximately equally, and therefore it makes no sense to take Hobbs, Ward, etc.

How do you think Essendon are viewing their midfield of McGrath, Parish and Merrett? Great players, but way too small as a group. Hopper was not available to them (academy), but they would be better off with Hopper instead of Parish. Or Taranto/McCluggage instead of McGrath. In both drafts the bigger players were rated similarly (perhaps slightly lower), just like it seems in this draft.

What if Melbourne had taken Parish instead of Oliver? Balmer had the pick correct, but said the whisper was it was a coin toss. Twomey had Parish at 3 and Oliver at 11 in his rankings (but got them correct in his phantom).

Of course these examples suit my argument and the bigger player could end up being a dud pick, but you need some luck whichever way you go, and I would be erring on the side of the bigger players for this particular draft.
Yes thats you, but Wallsy might have a different view.

I think the tenor of the talk coming out of the club, whilst absolutely giving nothing specific away, is preping the local media and the fans for best available non WA picks, and consensus rankings have shorter vic inside mids ahead of the bigger bodies, either WA players or Vics like Goater.

We have to assume for the sake of an argument that the professionals rankings like Twomeys represent something close to what the clubs also think. Sure in reality we might actually find the clubs to rate them more or less equally and Ward and co slide in favour of Johnson et al, but we don't have any real basis for making that call other than opinions that are based on 10% of the data that the pro writers use, let alone the clubs themselves.

We'll find out closer to the draft as the situation becomes clearer but just based on the vibe of it I think Freo don't rate the local players at our first round picks.

This was what I wrote about him...

I still think the KPF talent in this draft is fairly poor....

First round - Darcy, Andrew, Amiss
Second round - van Rooyen
Third round - Williams

And every one of those guys has question marks. Is Amiss truly a key forward, is van Rooyen a better defender, will Williams truly nail down a position. I'm not against picking them, and I do rate Amiss around our picks and I think van Rooyen is better than what I project him to go. But outside of these guys, the draft is just waiting for someone to pop up and Caminiti probably ticks the most boxes.

What about Polson? I think someone took him a few picks after your Caminiti selection. Have no real idea about him, but he is down at Peel and tested very well for the sprint and running jump. They sound kind of similar athletically.

I can totally see us selecting 3 x small/medium players (unless we take Andrew) and only taking speculative talls later. Our recruiters might think they can repeat the Treacy selection.

What about Polson? I think someone took him a few picks after your Caminiti selection. Have no real idea about him, but he is down at Peel and tested very well for the sprint and running jump. They sound kind of similar athletically.

I can totally see us selecting 3 x small/medium players (unless we take Andrew) and only taking speculative talls later. Our recruiters might think they can repeat the Treacy selection.
I'm not an expert but from what I've seen of Polson, he looks set for a decent WAFL career, not much else

This draft is thin for KPFs and strong for big bodied mids, as well as some handy medium forwards/mids. Next year is strong for KPFs.

If we took 2 KPFs early I doubt if we look for another next draft. We will also likely take Benning late.

Pick 6/8
Erasmus/Rachele/Amiss

Pick 8/10
Amiss/JVR, Johnson

Draper, Hough, Butler

Obviously it's a draft with a lot of difficulty making any calls with conviction given the minimal footy the majority of the players have had over the past 2 seasons. I reckon there is some question marks as to whether two years lost development at such a crucial time can be made up over any number of years. Does that give the WA & SA contingent added value/sureity?

At the price ranges we'll be shopping in I'd want to go with the ones who come with added competitive edge and decision making.

At this early stage with only some low-level browsing I like the idea of a Rachele, Johnson, van Rooyen combination early doors. Have a bit of a soft spot for Motlop, but don't know if it'll pan out the way our picks sit.

Obviously it's a draft with a lot of difficulty making any calls with conviction given the minimal footy the majority of the players have had over the past 2 seasons. I reckon there is some question marks as to whether two years lost development at such a crucial time can be made up over any number of years. Does that give the WA & SA contingent added value/sureity?

At the price ranges we'll be shopping in I'd want to go with the ones who come with added competitive edge and decision making.

At this early stage with only some low-level browsing I like the idea of a Rachele, Johnson, van Rooyen combination early doors. Have a bit of a soft spot for Motlop, but don't know if it'll pan out the way our picks sit.
I'm just nervous about JVR being there at pick 20.

My picks are done in the BF draft...

#8 Josh Rachele (180cm, 78kg forward/mid)
#10 Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera (187cm, 70kg mid)
#21 Mitch Knevitt (193cm, 81kg mid)
#54 Anthony Caminiti (196cm, 83kg forward)
#63 Eric Benning (196cm, 83kg ruck/forward)

As I said before I deliberately overlooked talls early just to see how things would play out. So don't get too angry with me. Instead I ended up with a couple of raw but high upside talls late. If I was drafting again, I'd stick with Rachele but go for one of Mac Andrew or Jye Amiss at #10. Probably stick with Knevitt, but go for some outside run later on at #54.
The language from the club for sometime has been the need to draft a quality Ruck/fwd and Mac Andrew is most likely top 10 tall along with Gibcus (defender). This language indicating need for ruck/fwd was before the potential news for Lobb to be traded out. I think Mac Andrews if available at 8 is a good chance of having his name called out, before we then select our best rated mid/fwd at 10 and I like each of Rachele, Hobbs, Ward, Erasmus, Johnson.

If Andrew is gone by 8 then pick the best of the aforementioned mid/fwds and select at 10 next best tall at 10 (like Amiss etc.).

Then we are in a good position to either select the slider at 21 or trade out for a F2 and slide back to a later 2021 2nd round pick.

Some might say Benning or Jack Williams could be the ruck, but at 195/196cm they both project more as forwards who can help out a bit in the ruck.

Polson ran a 2.9s 20m sprint if the results table is to be believed but it doesn't look like he can jump or change direction all that well.

Scroll to the bottom and Polson placed quite highly for standing vertical jump and running vertical jump.

Also of note:
First-round WA prospect Matthew Johnson capped off his excellent finish to his 2021 campaign – which included a best on ground medal in a WA v SA game on AFL Grand Final day – by placing third nationally in the agility test, sixth in the standing vertical jump and seventh in the running vertical. He also ran a 20m sprint time under three seconds.

Polson ran a 2.9s 20m sprint if the results table is to be believed but it doesn't look like he can jump or change direction all that well.
not sure how you have come to that conclusion considering he finished top 10 in both the standing vertical jump and the running vertical jump plus did a 8.3 in the agility test pretty solid for someone his size.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm just nervous about JVR being there at pick 20.
Yeah I'm with you there. He's another a little awkwardly placed for our picks. Twomey reckons he'll be a second-rounder so it'll be interesting how he places him in his phantom given the intell he gets from the clubs.

Yes thats you, but Wallsy might have a different view.

I think the tenor of the talk coming out of the club, whilst absolutely giving nothing specific away, is preping the local media and the fans for best available non WA picks, and consensus rankings have shorter vic inside mids ahead of the bigger bodies, either WA players or Vics like Goater.

We have to assume for the sake of an argument that the professionals rankings like Twomeys represent something close to what the clubs also think. Sure in reality we might actually find the clubs to rate them more or less equally and Ward and co slide in favour of Johnson et al, but we don't have any real basis for making that call other than opinions that are based on 10% of the data that the pro writers use, let alone the clubs themselves.

We'll find out closer to the draft as the situation becomes clearer but just based on the vibe of it I think Freo don't rate the local players at our first round picks.

Any vibe they are giving out for the possibility of non-WA picks is more likely to be Callaghan, Rachele, Andrew, NWM. They have also stated they are looking at "outside the centre-square" players, which means guys like Hobbs and Ward should not be priorities (especially after getting Brodie).

The club will be making a big mistake if they pick a short mid with a top 10 pick. And that's even if they actually turn out to be good players. We aren't winning a premiership with Brayshaw, Serong and another player just as good as them (but also short) as the main midfielders. Such a trio will get monstered.

But my gut feel is still that van Rooyen is available in the second round. And I can just imagine this board when Day 2 starts and we trade the first pick despite him being on the board. With Williams available even later should be trade down further.
Not much of a chance

Any vibe they are giving out for the possibility of non-WA picks is more likely to be Callaghan, Rachele, Andrew, NWM. They have also stated they are looking at "outside the centre-square" players, which means guys like Hobbs and Ward should not be priorities (especially after getting Brodie).

The club will be making a big mistake if they pick a short mid with a top 10 pick. And that's even if they actually turn out to be good players. We aren't winning a premiership with Brayshaw, Serong and another player just as good as them (but also short) as the main midfielders. Such a trio will get monstered.
A mid that is 5cm taller is not going to help if they are a B grader.

This was what I wrote about him...

I still think the KPF talent in this draft is fairly poor....

First round - Darcy, Andrew, Amiss
Second round - van Rooyen
Third round - Williams

And every one of those guys has question marks. Is Amiss truly a key forward, is van Rooyen a better defender, will Williams truly nail down a position. I'm not against picking them, and I do rate Amiss around our picks and I think van Rooyen is better than what I project him to go. But outside of these guys, the draft is just waiting for someone to pop up and Caminiti probably ticks the most boxes.
If we took Mac Andrew and Amiss woth our first 2 picks do you think Sonsie could be there at 19? 🙂

Here's a list of who led the colts goalkicking based off stats from the WAFL site:

YearPlayerClubGoalsBehinds
2011Mason ShawSouth Freo6632
2012Alex HowsonEast Freo5827
2013Rhys McAlisterSubiaco5821
2014Cameron LoerschSouth Freo5728
2015Brett MilwardPeel Thunder5826
2016Shai BoltonSouth Freo3723
2017Dillon O'ReillyEast Freo4619
2018Jack MayoSubiaco5044
2019Ben MiddletonPeel Thunder3021
=2020Sandon PageSubiaco247
=2020Corey RundleWest Perth2418
2021Jye AmissEast Perth5115
Interesting the ones that kicked more than 50 . Is a who's who of Forgotten players . Supports my argument somewhat because I don't think Bolton was a key forward. I really think our desperation for a key forward clouds our judgement on this board at times.

The vaccine is actually a smooth play for a player to ensure they are picked up by a club they want. Just tell every other club that you not only aren't vaccinated but refuse it - that they couldn't pay you enough to get it.

Then tell Walls that you're already fully vaccinated.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back