2022 22 under 22 team

Remove this Banner Ad

With the voting there’s only 4 guys available to vote for to play on the wings which really stuffs up the team.
Both smith and Walsh would be awesome as wingers

I am not sure if a vote is the best way to do this as that means every Collingwood player getting in and no Gold Coast player getting into the team.

I am not sure if a vote is the best way to do this as that means every Collingwood player getting in and no Gold Coast player getting into the team.
Or everyone else just hates Collingwood so leave their players out? Could work either way

Added Newcombe only as a likely prospect for next year. He is a bit off the best mids in this year’s team for now, due to still building his running capacity. My Hawks mate says Newcombe reminds him of a young Leigh Matthews so huge raps. I like Newcombe, looking for him to really come on in the next 1-2 years as that tank improves. He may have a higher ceiling than a few of his highly rated contemporaries.
I think with Newcombe there would be too many mids. I think newcombe will end up In it but I just think Walsh, Brayshaw, Smith, Anderson, Warner, Serong, Butters, Rozee and Green is more then enough on ballers.

I get that Hawthorn aren't on people's radar this year.

But I reckon we could squeeze in the young bull from Poowong who is currently 24th in the Coaches Votes. ;)

If you think there are "too many mids", then maybe we should give the arse to Anderson, Butters or Green

AFLCA Player of the year
1..... Lachie Neale.......... 88 votes
1..... Touk Miller............. 88 votes
3..... Clayton Oliver......... 86 votes
3..... Christian Petracca... 86 votes
5..... Patrick Cripps........ 75 votes

5..... Connor Rozee........ 75 votes
7..... Andrew Brayshaw... 72 votes
8..... Jeremy Cameron.... 67 votes
9..... Shai Bolton............ 57 votes
10... Callum Mills............ 56 votes

11... Chad Warner........... 55 votes
12... Sam Walsh............. 54 votes
13... Hugh McCluggage... 53 votes
14... Charlie Curnow....... 50 votes
14... Max Gawn.............. 50 votes
16... James Sicily............ 48 votes
17... Rory Laird.............. 47 votes
17... Cameron Guthrie..... 47 votes
19... Jordan De Goey....... 46 votes
19... Peter Wright........... 46 votes
21... Taylor Walker.......... 45 votes
21... Jack Crisp.............. 45 votes
21... Jack Sinclair........... 45 votes

24.. Jai Newcombe...... 44 votes

You can only pick a team from within the squad and generally only in the position they’ve played majority of the season.
Only freo and swans have bigger numbers in the squad and they aren’t in the top few for supporter numbers.

Newcombe's tank improved a lot this year. His TOG now matches our experienced mids and in some games he spends more time on ground.

With his 2nd pre season he should continue to improve.

I agree his tank has improved, and you would expect to see further improvement over the next 2 seasons. I still think this season he has had to pace himself to get through games moreso than most mids. Which when you think about it, makes him a very exciting prospect.

I get that Hawthorn aren't on people's radar this year.

But I reckon we could squeeze in the young bull from Poowong who is currently 24th in the Coaches Votes. ;)

If you think there are "too many mids", then maybe we should give the arse to Anderson, Butters or Green

AFLCA Player of the year
1..... Lachie Neale.......... 88 votes
1..... Touk Miller............. 88 votes
3..... Clayton Oliver......... 86 votes
3..... Christian Petracca... 86 votes
5..... Patrick Cripps........ 75 votes

5..... Connor Rozee........ 75 votes
7..... Andrew Brayshaw... 72 votes
8..... Jeremy Cameron.... 67 votes
9..... Shai Bolton............ 57 votes
10... Callum Mills............ 56 votes

11... Chad Warner........... 55 votes
12... Sam Walsh............. 54 votes
13... Hugh McCluggage... 53 votes
14... Charlie Curnow....... 50 votes
14... Max Gawn.............. 50 votes
16... James Sicily............ 48 votes
17... Rory Laird.............. 47 votes
17... Cameron Guthrie..... 47 votes
19... Jordan De Goey....... 46 votes
19... Peter Wright........... 46 votes
21... Taylor Walker.......... 45 votes
21... Jack Crisp.............. 45 votes
21... Jack Sinclair........... 45 votes

24.. Jai Newcombe...... 44 votes

Is it just me or is Tom Green VERY lucky to be near the squad, maybe it's symbolic of GWS but has he done much this season? I'm picking Newcombe every day of the week and twice on Sunday over Green.

From our side Jmac is very fortunate there aren't too many wingers, his year has been average.

Is it just me or is Tom Green VERY lucky to be near the squad, maybe it's symbolic of GWS but has he done much this season? I'm picking Newcombe every day of the week and twice on Sunday over Green.

From our side Jmac is very fortunate there aren't too many wingers, his year has been average.

Statistically not too much between them but you could form arguments for Green over Newcombe for sure. Green I think like Newcombe is still building his tank and can get caught out a bit with his running still at this stage. But Green has tremendous contested possession numbers, and Newcombe seems to have a high rate of clangers. To be fair Newcombe kicks more and Green handballs more.

1660101554931.png

Fair enough Meteoric Rise honestly haven't noticed Green much, maybe he's been costing me enough and I still am holding it against.

Newcombe definitely catches the eye more with tendency to crash through tackles and break clear and kick long. A lot of Green’s best work is in tight so doesn’t stand out so much to the eye.

Newcombe definitely catches the eye more with tendency to crash through tackles and break clear and kick long. A lot of Green’s best work is in tight so doesn’t stand out so much to the eye.

Fair enough I haven't paid too much attention to him lately. Newcombe for me has something extra than a pure extractor.

Jmac is very fortunate there aren't too many wingers, his year has been average.
It's farcical

They give people the following choices:

Wings (select 2):
  • Adam Cerra
  • James Jordan
  • Justin McInerney
  • Noah Anderson

Midfielders (select 3)
  • Adam Cerra
  • James Jordan
  • Justin McInerney
  • Noah Anderson
  • Andrew Brayshaw
  • Connor Rozee
  • Sam Walsh
  • Bailey Smith
  • Caleb Serong
  • Chad Warner
  • Jai Newcombe
  • James Rowbottom
  • Matt Rowell
  • Sam Berry
  • Errol Gulden
  • Tom Green
  • Cameron Rayner
  • Zak Butters

Forwards (select 6)
  • Zak Butters
  • Connor Rozee
  • Errol Gulden
  • Cameron Rayner
  • Cody Weightman
  • Jack Ginnivan
  • Kysaiah Pickett
  • Izak Rankine
  • Michael Frederick
  • Nic Martin
  • Aaron Naughton
  • Max King
  • Darcy Fogarty
  • Luke Jackson
  • Noah Balta

Why aren't all the midfielders eligible to be selected on a wing? Why are the 4 wingmen also listed as midfielders?
It's an extraordinary leg-up for Noah Anderson, plus one of Cerra/Jordan/McInerney
Most people would prefer to have Smith, Walsh, Rozee, Brayshaw, Warner on the wing ahead of those guys.

Why are some of the midfielders, but not others, also available for selection as forwards (Rozee, Butters, Gulden, Rayner)
Jai Newcombe was recently tagged vs St Kilda and thrown forward in the second half and nearly won Hawthorn the match.
I'm pretty sure he would do okay on a half forward flank.

They should just lump all of these players together and let us select the six best (3 mids, 2 wings, plus 1 flanker)
They've grouped all the defenders and forwards in that way. Why not the midfielders?

Here's my Under 22 team without their idiotic constraints

Isaac Quaynor....Sam De Koning....Hayden Young
Jordan Clark........Tom McCartin........Nick Daicos
Connor Rozee... Andrew Brayshaw....Noah Anderson
Bailey Smith...... Aaron Naughton....Izak Rankine
Kysaiah Pickett.......Max King.......Jack Ginnivan

Luke Jackson........Chad Warner.......Sam Walsh

Jai Newcombe...Caleb Serong...Errol Gulden...Tom Green

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Let me get this straight Noah Anderson the inside mid for GC is now a winger...

It's farcical

They give people the following choices:

Wings (select 2):
  • Adam Cerra
  • James Jordan
  • Justin McInerney
  • Noah Anderson

Midfielders (select 3)
  • Adam Cerra
  • James Jordan
  • Justin McInerney
  • Noah Anderson
  • Andrew Brayshaw
  • Connor Rozee
  • Sam Walsh
  • Bailey Smith
  • Caleb Serong
  • Chad Warner
  • Jai Newcombe
  • James Rowbottom
  • Matt Rowell
  • Sam Berry
  • Errol Gulden
  • Tom Green
  • Cameron Rayner
  • Zak Butters

Forwards (select 6)
  • Zak Butters
  • Connor Rozee
  • Errol Gulden
  • Cameron Rayner
  • Cody Weightman
  • Jack Ginnivan
  • Kysaiah Pickett
  • Izak Rankine
  • Michael Frederick
  • Nic Martin
  • Aaron Naughton
  • Max King
  • Darcy Fogarty
  • Luke Jackson
  • Noah Balta

Why aren't all the midfielders eligible to be selected on a wing? Why are the 4 wingmen also listed as midfielders?
It's an extraordinary leg-up for Noah Anderson, plus one of Cerra/Jordan/McInerney
Most people would prefer to have Smith, Walsh, Rozee, Brayshaw, Warner on the wing ahead of those guys.

Why are some of the midfielders, but not others, also available for selection as forwards (Rozee, Butters, Gulden, Rayner)
Jai Newcombe was recently tagged vs St Kilda and thrown forward in the second half and nearly won Hawthorn the match.
I'm pretty sure he would do okay on a half forward flank.

They should just lump all of these players together and let us select the six best (3 mids, 2 wings, plus 1 flanker)
They've grouped all the defenders and forwards in that way. Why not the midfielders?

Here's my Under 22 team without their idiotic constraints

Isaac Quaynor....Sam De Koning....Hayden Young
Jordan Clark........Tom McCartin........Nick Daicos
Connor Rozee... Andrew Brayshaw....Noah Anderson
Bailey Smith...... Aaron Naughton....Izak Rankine
Kysaiah Pickett.......Max King.......Jack Ginnivan

Luke Jackson........Chad Warner.......Sam Walsh

Jai Newcombe...Caleb Serong...Errol Gulden...Tom Green
Pretty handy team. Well balanced.

Your points regarding the stupidity of the restrictions are all well made and I can guarantee that any team picked following those restrictions would not be as good as the one you have listed there.

Which is stupid given it is called "22 under 22". Naughton was already 22 on 1 January 2022, so he has been 22 or over for the entire season.

Either they should actually pick players who were are under 22 for the entire season, or at the start of the season, or call it 22 under 23.
Should be born year 1999 or later

The fact we cant pick Gulden or Smith or Walsh as a wingman now means that Cerra, McInerny or Jordon will make the side over someone who deserves it more.
I'm sure it was designed to ensure a Gold Coast player gets in.

The fact we cant pick Gulden or Smith or Walsh as a wingman now means that Cerra, McInerny or Jordon will make the side over someone who deserves it more.

It’s beyond ridiculous honestly I wouldn’t pick any of those wingers! Seriously just pick Walsh and Gulden on the wings

Y'all are kidding yourselves. You'd give your missus a hall pass for D Fogarty but can't get him into FF?

Takes about 14 hangers a game, slots goals from the most audacious angles with an actual drop punt. Fends campaigners off legally as opposed to some and doesn't so much as sniff when his finger bends 90 deggas outward.

The stallion cannot be tamed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back