Autopsy 2022 Accountability and moving forward

Remove this Banner Ad

There’s a 188cm type currently out there somewhere, blissfully unaware he’ll be tasked with taking on the Aaron Naughtons, Rory Lobbs and Max Kings for a decade.

Lachie Jones, come on down

Gentle reminder that we could have had Sam de koning instead of Mitch Georgiades. Or Bergman. But Bergman I still think can make it. Not so sure on Mitch These days.

Richos appointment was not what we needed, we desperately need well credentialed outsiders to shake the place up. We've had way too many internally conducted reviews & appointed too many ex Port players. Everyone's priority is to protect their jobs rather than strive for ultimate team success. This mentality always leads to mediocrity.

I don't usually play the draft game much because it's difficult, but we've been crying out for a big KPD for years. At least we didn't pick Fisher mcasey I suppose 🤣
We’ll do our best to develop Lord into a key defender now that Pasini has done his knee and Skinner has declared himself such a spud. It could work even though I’ll be gutted to not see him play as a key forward at AFL level.

We desperately need to add key defenders, game-winning small forwards and more genuine mids to our list. We might just have the tall forward posts covered between Marshall, Georgiades (he’ll be ok), Teakle and Finlayson. Ruck is a mystery but expect to see more of Dixon there for the next 1-2 years. We have more flankers than the rest of the comp combined.

I don't like the profile of our list in the reserves at all.
I can’t remember a year since 2012 when we have had so many sub-AFL level players on our list. Someone has got list management really wrong the past three years.

McEntee, Mayes, Skinner, Williams, Frederick are all delistworthy now. Jackson looks miles off it, but will be given a reprieve due to his age and injury interruptions. Schofield has talent but is mosquito sized. Motlop should be retired asap. Gray may not want to go around again. Hayes will likely be traded after years on our list for very little opportunity.

We’ll do our best to develop Lord into a key defender now that Pasini has done his knee and Skinner has declared himself such a spud. It could work even though I’ll be gutted to not see him play as a key forward at AFL level.

We desperately need to add key defenders, game-winning small forwards and more genuine mids to our list. We might just have the tall forward posts covered between Marshall, Georgiades (he’ll be ok), Teakle and Finlayson. Ruck is a mystery but expect to see more of Dixon there for the next 1-2 years. We have more flankers than the rest of the comp combined.

I thought that Dixon came to the club with the deal that he plays as a forward due to his ankles. It would be such a twist to give the guy more ruck time at the age of 30+. Point being, we do things strangely at this club.

Gentle reminder that we could have had Sam de koning instead of Mitch Georgiades. Or Bergman. But Bergman I still think can make it. Not so sure on Mitch These days.
Mitch will be fine. Haven't you learned your lesson from Hot Toddy?

Richos appointment was not what we needed, we desperately need well credentialed outsiders to shake the place up. We've had way too many internally conducted reviews & appointed too many ex Port players. Everyone's priority is to protect their jobs rather than strive for ultimate team success. This mentality always leads to mediocrity.
Thinking about it, every key replacement in the last year has come from inside, often without then being replaced themselves. We're obviously on a cost savings path, which seems to be the only area where accountability is measured.

Not sure if this is an AFL directive in order to cost them less, or a more shrewd decision to save something of a war chest a la North Melbourne. I wonder how that worked out for them...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So many individuals need to be made accountable for this diabolical season. Unless sweeping changes are made to the coaching panel, off field management and the playing list, 2023 or will be the same as this year.

These are the changes I would make at seasons end.

Richardson to be replaced by someone outside of the club, as clearly he lacks any leadership whatsoever. Looks like an absolute goose after his 3 premierships in 5 years remark. I would actually like to see a woman take his place.

Hinkley, Bassett, Cornes and possibly Montgomery replaced. Logan also needs to terminated. Need many fresh sets of eyes and new voices.
Would love Clarkson, but Adam Yze or Jayme Graham would make reasonable appointments.

Playing list changes
Out: Jonas, Motlop, Gray, Clurey, McKenzie, Frederick, Skinner, Mayes, McEntee and Williams at the very least.

I don't think we could afford Christine Zeitz as CE, but she is on our board and could be a terrific president or chairman or whatever DK's title is.

To be a General Manager in a testosterone-fuelled industry like multinational aerospace and defense technology, Christine would have to be as hard as meteorite metal.

I don't think we could afford Christine Zeitz as CE, but she is on our board and could be a terrific president or chairman or whatever DK's title is.

To be a General Manager in a testosterone-fuelled industry like multinational aerospace and defense technology, Christine would have to be as hard as meteorite metal.
and get paid prob one third of what shes on now? No chance.

and get paid prob one third of what shes on now? No chance.

That's why I'm saying we couldn't afford her as CE, she will never take that role on.

But President/Executive Chair is an honorary position, like being on a board and Christine could combine that with her role as General Manager for Asia Pacific at Northrup Grumman.

I genuinely don't understand how an assessment like this is formed. Mitch is just about as close as you can get to a sure thing. Baffling call.

Mitch will be fine. Haven't you learned your lesson from Hot Toddy?

No. Mitch is kicking like John butcher's blind brother and is barely taller than my aunt.

Todd has being 6'6 going for him.

It's bloody hard to make it as a key forward when you're part halfling.

Bailey Fritsch, jack Gunston I guess are the archetypes. But there's a hell of a lot more than that who show promise and disappear.

No. Mitch is kicking like John butcher's blind brother and is barely taller than my aunt.

Todd has being 6'6 going for him.

It's bloody hard to make it as a key forward when you're part halfling.

Bailey Fritsch, jack Gunston I guess are the archetypes. But there's a hell of a lot more than that who show promise and disappear.

MG is 1cm taller than Jack Darling who most people would regard as a key forward.

He's already shown he can take towering marks and impose himself on backlines, he's just not doing it right now.

Gentle reminder that we could have had Sam de koning instead of Mitch Georgiades.

Cripes.

A gentle reminder that playing as a key defender in a very good side is really easy and that playing key forward in any side, especially an average one, is really hard.

Geelong would have Georgiades 10kg heavier, moving suspiciously well despite that and dining out as a 3rd banana developing key forward in a way not seen since Jono Brown in the early aughts.

Cripes.

A gentle reminder that playing as a key defender in a very good side is really easy and that playing key forward in any side, especially an average one, is really hard.

Geelong would have Georgiades 10kg heavier, moving suspiciously well despite that and dining out as a 3rd banana developing key forward in a way not seen since Jono Brown in the early aughts.
Georgiadies main strengths are his mobility and aerial ability. Adding an extra 10 kg to his frame would be detrimental to his game. Lots of knee jerk reactions in here. He's doing fine. I'd love to see a list of current AFL players that have kicked more goals than Mitch when at the same age. I'd wager it's a short list.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back