• trade back in with a future second for someone else

• only take MM and keep the other spot for PSD/rookie

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Our draft haul:

Pick 17 - Max Michalanney (matched F/S)
Pick 43 - Billy Dowling
Pick 50 - Hugh Bond

Rookie Pick 5 - Andrew McPherson (re-listed)
Rookie Pick 21 - Paul Seedsman (re-listed)

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Josh Carmichael is exactly the type of player we need to take in mid season draft and we don’t have his type in our team plus he is an accumulator that can hit the scoreboard and his skills are decent . Hope we pick him as he is 22yrs old, 189cm , plays mid/fwd and had 34 touches , 2goals 2 and eight marks against the Crows Sanfl a few weeks ago so hopefully Nicksy and list management were keeping a close eye on him. Has averaged 25 touches this year in Sanfl

Last edited:
Is Turner injured at the moment? Doesn’t look like he played the past few games?

Edit: just found that he hurt his foot, has been out since

Last edited:

Can't we delist them end of year if needed?
Otherwise it's a rookie spot, not a main list spot.
I would expect some of our rookies to get upgrade end of year.

We can, however we've been pretty clear that we're only bringing someone on if we can commit to them for longer then half a season.

I wouldn't expect anyone to get upgraded unless we're forced too. I'd actually expect the opposite, where more people are going to move from our senior list to rookie list then the other way. After all, it's one precarious list situation we find ourselves in.

Is Turner injured at the moment? Doesn’t look like he played the past few games?

Edit: just found that he hurt his foot, has been out since
Ramsden and Hall-Kahan have apparently put 18 months terms on themselves so it sounds like clubs have already committed to them?

Here is a thought experiment. Hamish and all of the recruiters have been woeful when it comes to first round players. for all of their hard work it is questionable if a computer algorithm could have picked better. A stupidly simple example of this would be to use Callum Twoney's phantom draft and then select the highest rated (according to Callum) midfielder at the time of our pick. this method doesnt take into account thousands of things like development etc. but lets see what we would have got.

2016 - Alex Whitherdan
2017 - Jack Higgins
2018 - Jye Caldwell & Collier-Dawkins
2019 - Hayden Young
2020 - Elijah Hollands
2021 - Josh Ward

I would swap our first round picks for this lot in a heartbeat. and this isnt a hindsight thing, these players were identified before the draft. It shows that by keeping it simple its not actually that bloody hard. But some how we want to make it hard and be too smart for our own good.

I understand that Callum watches a huge amount of footy and similar to Emma Quayle he has an important skill set. but you could look to see who was a midfielder and had the most possessions, kick to handball ratio, inside 50s, defensive marks etc. it really wouldn't be too hard to see what traits / attributes successful afl players had in juniors and then extrapolate it to drafting. So for all of the talk of we should have grabbed so and so, that system relies upon personal perception.

Here is a thought experiment. Hamish and all of the recruiters have been woeful when it comes to first round players. for all of their hard work it is questionable if a computer algorithm could have picked better. A stupidly simple example of this would be to use Callum Twoney's phantom draft and then select the highest rated (according to Callum) midfielder at the time of our pick. this method doesnt take into account thousands of things like development etc. but lets see what we would have got.

2016 - Alex Whitherdan
2017 - Jack Higgins
2019 - Hayden Young
2020 - Elijah Hollands
2021 - Josh Ward

I would swap our first round picks for this lot in a heartbeat. and this isnt a hindsight thing, these players were identified before the draft. It shows that by keeping it simple its not actually that bloody hard. But some how we want to make it hard and be too smart for our own good.

I understand that Callum watches a huge amount of footy and similar to Emma Quayle he has an important skill set. but you could look to see who was a midfielder and had the most possessions, kick to handball ratio, inside 50s, defensive marks etc. it really wouldn't be too hard to see what traits / attributes successful afl players had in juniors and then extrapolate it to drafting. So for all of the talk of we should have grabbed so and so, that system relies upon personal perception.
You've got 2 half backs there and a small forward, so only 2 mids in your selections.

I'd also take Jones over Cladwell with what they have produced so far, and Thilthorpe over Hollands on output so far (though, I am a big Hollands fan), plus Rachelle is well head of Ward.

The issue is it's not all about performance in their first year, it's about who will be the better player on projection. The computer picks Ebert and SPP over Dangerfield and Bolton due to their greater physical development as kids.

Essentially what you are suggesting is what Binuk has been recruited for, so we are doing that, but doing it with the subjective/expert assessment too.

2016 - Alex Whitherdan
2017 - Jack Higgins
2019 - Hayden Young
2020 - Elijah Hollands
2021 - Josh Ward

Alex Witherden coming off a badly broken leg and no football at all in his draft year would have been a brave selection. Didn't test at the Combine.

Jye Caldwell very similar with numerous serious hamstring issues in both his underage year and top age year, so virtually no football in his draft year. Of his 3 games for the Bendigo Pioneers 2 he didn't complete off with a hamstring and his one and only Vic Country game at the Nationals he lasted about 5 minutes before he pinged his hammy again. Again recruiters had to take plenty into consideration and would have had to put a big emphasis on his dominant U16's season. Did not test at the Combine.

Holland's coming off a preseason ACL so no top age football and did not test.

Your thoughts on them?
18 month contract proviso?
Can't see us taking a Ruckman unless we're ditching Strachan at year's end especially with Ramsden's contract terms.

I'd go former GWS Academy/North Adelaide's high flying Jacob Bauer over Hall-Kahan if we're looking at that type of player.

Josh Carmichael the big bodied mid/forward would seem to be an obvious choice?

If it's an elite kicking small/medium running defender then Massimo D'Ambrossio would be a no brainer.

Given Hamish and Steve McCrystal flagged serious interest in Lachie Carrigan prior to his injury and Covid's intervention he has to be chance I'm thinking.

Do people expect whoever we take in the midseason draft to stay on the list beyond this season?

I'd be looking at a mature aged Key Defender, we are quite literally stuffed without Butts, if he gets an injury we don't have a single KPD that's capable at the level.

Do people expect whoever we take in the midseason draft to stay on the list beyond this season?

I'd be looking at a mature aged Key Defender, we are quite literally stuffed without Butts, if he gets an injury we don't have a single KPD that's capable at the level.
If?

Still no player put on the LTI list yet.

Why would we bother where we are at with our rebuild to take on a player for just the remaining games this season, it would be nonsensical if we're looking to the future.

If?

Still no player put on the LTI list yet.

Why would we bother where we are at with our rebuild to take on a player for just the remaining games this season, it would be nonsensical if we're looking to the future.

So given that we probably are looking in to the longer term future - where would Carmichael be picked in the November ND at this point (I know it’s hard to tell) and would he be worth 18 months if we picked him in the MSD? His name seems to have come from the clouds a bit?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So given that we probably are looking in to the longer term future - where would Carmichael be picked in the November ND at this point (I know it’s hard to tell) and would he be worth 18 months if we picked him in the MSD? His name seems to have come from the clouds a bit?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Likely goes early is my feel but I guess it depends what type of player the clubs with early picks needs are.

It would seem that ruck Max Ramsden and general forward Hugo Hall-Kahan have already negotiated an 18 month deal with clubs to have named their contract terms?

I have a suspicion the very athletic 191cm outside mid/winger Lachie Carrigan might be chance given Hamish flagged our interest in a Cal Twomey Road to the Draft podcast before last year's draft.

Basically said they'd like to pick him but just didn't have enough data on him given he hadn't played hardly any footy apart from several preseason games for the Sandringham Dragons for 2 years through injury and Covid. Interesting to note 1 of his 2 Hudl followers is Hamish.

Are we likely to take 1 or 2 in the MSD? Club seems to be very cagey on this or have I missed something?

Carmichael and Turner sound good gets, a back up KPD would be very handy.

Yes. I can't see us wasting any time on a player who we didn't see having a mid-to-long term future.

After all, we don't particularly need players to improve short term results. We're not in a finals race.

So casting our eye to november and sure its early days now with lots to play out, but would we be feeling bullish if we ended up with say tsatsas at our 1st pick, keeler with our 2nd pick and michalanney with points matching a bid. Gives us the high end mid, a key position player with an enormous upside but a project type in keeler and a very promising natural defender.

So casting our eye to november and sure its early days now with lots to play out, but would we be feeling bullish if we ended up with say tsatsas at our 1st pick, keeler with our 2nd pick and michalanney with points matching a bid. Gives us the high end mid, a key position player with an enormous upside but a project type in keeler and a very promising natural defender.
Yep I like Tsatsas at our first.
key position at our second
michalanney with matching bids
A project Ruck would be nice also.

hopefully pick up someone decent in the msd. Hopefully not turner.

Back