2022 All Aus Predictions and Rolling teams

Remove this Banner Ad

Not normally my thing the AA team but with a bit of time to kill while watching the cricket, happy to have a bit of a crack at it, especially as unusually there are a few Tigers in genuine contention. I slotted them all into my team, Bolton is unarguable imo, Lynch and Rioli very genuine claims, but others have genuine claims for the same positions as well.

First, my squad.

Key Forwards Hawkins Lynch Cameron, Walker, Curnow all genuine claims.

Small forwards C Cameron Rankine

Mid-forwards Bolton Papley Petracca Bontempelli

Hybrid forwards T Greene Gunston

Pressure forwards Neal-Bullen

Rucks Gawn Witts Darcy English

Inside mids Andrew-Brayshaw Laird Oliver Neale McLuggage Miller Wines Prestia Mills Warner Liberatore Cripps Parish

Wingers B Smith B Ellis Amon Langdon

Key defenders Barass May Taylor

Hybrid defenders Stewart Dawson Docherty Sicily

Running defenders Redman Rioli Dale Saad (Edit: + Sinclair)

46 players.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My team:

Back 7

Barass May Taylor

Rioli Dale Dawson Sicily

Wing 3

B Smith McLuggage Warner

Mid 4

Miller(C) Oliver Petracca Bontempelli(V/C)

Rucks

Gawn(DVC)/English

Forward 7

Hawkins Lynch English/Gawn

Cameron Bolton Papley T Greene

Pretty happy with that team I think. Probably too many ball winners and not quite enough pressure, so if I wanted to spend more time over it I would probably try to correct that. The most unlucky to miss my team would be the 3 key forwards from the squad, Curnow, Cameron, Walker, all have undeniable claims, but I have gone for the score involvements of Hawkins and the contested marking of Lynch which look the two biggest standout stats from that group for me. You could argue switching Stewart for Barass but Stewart blotted his copybook badly knocking out Prestia and missing 4 games. The running half backs were a bit tricky, Rioli is stronger in goals + goal assists, Dale in disposals, Saad in contested possessions. Redman's ball use possibly has them all covered. Very tough to split those 4. I think Rioli has been the most damaging and Dale the best reader of the play. But you could form a decent argument for any 2 of the 4.

I have made Miller the Captain, could not rate his leadership higher. Bontempelli and Gawn also given leadership roles though in a real team situation you would probably have a leader in the backline and one in the forward line.

Edit: Apologies Saints fans, just realised Sinclair is very strongly in consideration for a running defender role.
No Neale?

Not normally my thing the AA team but with a bit of time to kill while watching the cricket, happy to have a bit of a crack at it, especially as unusually there are a few Tigers in genuine contention. I slotted them all into my team, Bolton is unarguable imo, Lynch and Rioli very genuine claims, but others have genuine claims for the same positions as well.

First, my squad.

Inside mids Andrew-Brayshaw Laird Oliver Neale McLuggage Miller Wines Prestia Mills Warner Liberatore Cripps Parish

46 players.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My team:

Back 7

Barass May Taylor

Rioli Dale Dawson Sicily

Wing 3

B Smith McLuggage Warner

Mid 4

Rucks

Gawn(DVC)/English

Forward 7

Pretty happy with that team I think. Probably too many ball winners and not quite enough pressure, so if I wanted to spend more time over it I would probably try to correct that. The most unlucky to miss my team would be the 3 key forwards from the squad, Curnow, Cameron, Walker, all have undeniable claims, but I have gone for the score involvements of Hawkins and the contested marking of Lynch which look the two biggest standout stats from that group for me. You could argue switching Stewart for Barass but Stewart blotted his copybook badly knocking out Prestia and missing 4 games. The running half backs were a bit tricky, Rioli is stronger in goals + goal assists, Dale in disposals, Saad in contested possessions. Redman's ball use possibly has them all covered. Very tough to split those 4. I think Rioli has been the most damaging and Dale the best reader of the play. But you could form a decent argument for any 2 of the 4.

I have made Miller the Captain, could not rate his leadership higher. Bontempelli and Gawn also given leadership roles though in a real team situation you would probably have a leader in the backline and one in the forward line.

Edit: Apologies Saints fans, just realised Sinclair is very strongly in consideration for a running defender role.
Lol no Neale or Brayshaw even though they will probably be top 2 on Brownlow night.

FB: Sicily May Saad
HB: Sinclair Taylor Dawson
C: McCluggage Neale Rozee
HF: Bolton J.Cameron Petracca
FF: C.Cameron Curnow Hawkins
RR: Gawn Oliver Miller
INT: Andy Brayshaw, Cripps, Doccherty, Lynch
SUB: Blicavs
Coach: McRae

Blicavs while maybe unlucky to make the 22, is the perfect sub due to the versatility. Interchanges with the standard 7 back, 7 forward & 2nd forward-ruck (Lynch). Unfortunately selectors will likely have 4 mids on the interchange like most years.

Blicavs while maybe unlucky to make the 22, is the perfect sub due to the versatility. Interchanges with the standard 7 back, 7 forward & 2nd forward-ruck (Lynch). Unfortunately selectors will likely have 4 mids on the interchange like most years.

Actually not a bad effort. I'd have Mills in there though we are likely to come second. Either him or Heeney who is albeit borderline has had an amazing back and front end, it's the middle that's the issue there. Not sure Doc makes it, of the two in Carlton have Saad more deserving but it's close. Surely Crisp is in there somewhere. Agree on the coach although watch them give it to the Cats coach.

Would be very surprised if Docherty makes it. Has been average since the bye after a great start though he found some form in the middle on the weekend. Saad has had better big games and has shown more consistency.

Who is Taylor?

Docherty shits over Saad. Stewart and Moore the two best defenders in comp but can’t find a place? Dawson? I’d even have Redman in over him.

Who is Taylor?

Docherty shits over Saad. Stewart and Moore the two best defenders in comp but can’t find a place? Dawson? I’d even have Redman in over him.
Stewart has been out for too many games, otherwise he is a lock. As much as i wanted to put a Collingwood player in, Moore wasn't deserving over the 2 KPD's picked.
Dawson's had a great year.

Who is Taylor?

Sam Taylor, GWS. Should be the the CHB. Been the best one all year in an utterly terrible side. Moore has been average compared to the other CHB options. Dawson is in the squad, not sure he makes it, he's in that bunch on the bench for mine.

So let's get this straight.

Lynch is better than Hawkins because he is a great contested mark and kick for goal. That's all that matters.
Well yeah, the 2 main things you want from a full forward is goals and someone who can clunk a big mark. Pretty simple I would of thought

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Pretty sobering when you realise Lynch has taken the most contested marks in the league over the past decade and averages the most goals this year. Don’t see that in your stat sheet.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Or the fact he's missed 5 and a hald games.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

First, my squad.

46 players.

My team:

Back 7

Barass May Taylor

Rioli Dale Dawson Sicily

Wing 3

B Smith McLuggage Warner

Mid 4

Rucks

Gawn(DVC)/English

Forward 7

Thanks for putting in the effort.
I’d have Clark in the squad as running defender.
Cox in the squad as a hybrid defender.
And AB and Neale not getting a gig bit disappointing.
Your team is not surprising with the current media landscape.

Thanks for putting in the effort.
I’d have Clark in the squad as running defender.
Cox in the squad as a hybrid defender.
And AB and Neale not getting a gig bit disappointing.
Your team is not surprising with the current media landscape.

I did consider Clark carefully actually. He was just about there with the rest of them but he was a fair bit lower than the strong scoreboard impact half backs, and of the others with similar scoreboard impact to Clark, they had more contested possessions. He remains very young but with a decent season next year with a little more maturity you would expect him to be right there with the others.

With Cox as with all the defenders, unless you are watching the player all the time, it is hard to judge their defensive impact. And this is presumably the reason behind you suggesting his inclusion. I would not at all be surprised if I have missed some of the best defenders for this reason, their best work often goes un-noticed by casual observation. I am aware that Cox has had a very decent season though.

Brayshaw is strong for tackles but a bit low for contested possessions compared to the mids I selected. This is the only reason I left him out, he has been very impressive and like Clark, you would expect further improvement next season as he likely enters his prime.

Lachie Neale was stiff but that inside mid position is a very hot field. He was improved his score involvements this season, but is a little off his 2020 peak. You could justify Neale above Miller based on season statistics for sure.

blueiris Dockeroo

Last edited:
Nah, has been elite this year. Will be top 5 in the AFLCA votes once last weekends votes are released. Rated the best player in the game since round 5. He’s a lock

Not sure how good a guide Coaches Votes are to AA selection. But in any event all the player’s ahead of him play the same position. The forwards are too good this year to slot him in there and there are better wing options imo.

And as far as I know AA is not judged on “since round 5,” but rather the whole home and away season. I would love to know the basis for him being rated number 1 in the game in that time though because judging by the statistics that are available to us, in his cohort Rozee is not outstanding in disposals, contested possessions, score involvements, scores, clearances, intercepts or anything I can see.

Not sure how good a guide Coaches Votes are to AA selection. But in any event all the player’s ahead of him play the same position. The forwards are too good this year to slot him in there and there are better wing options imo.

And as far as I know AA is not judged on “since round 5,” but rather the whole home and away season. I would love to know the basis for him being rated number 1 in the game in that time though because judging by the statistics that are available to us, in his cohort Rozee is not outstanding in disposals, contested possessions, score involvements, scores, clearances, intercepts or anything I can see.
The coaches have voted him the 5th best player in the comp. He is a lock

I’d say Hinkley playing him in the forward line for the first month has effected his overall season stats and have stopped most stats from being elite. But champion data says he is the best player from round 5 onwards. Absolute lock. Can put him as a mid, on the wing, on the HFF, FP or Bench. Will get in

And as the other poster said, we have Cornes as an AA selector. Known Rozee lover (better than Walsh comment), will get him in no doubt

Def Locks: Sicily, May, Sinclair
In contention: Dawson, Saad, Docherty, Dale, Gus, Stewart, Taylor, Barrass, Maynard

Mid Locks: Neale, Oliver, Petracca, Brayshaw, Miller
In Contention: Cripps, Laird, Mills, Rozee, Bontempelli, McLuggage, Merrett

Ruck Locks: Gawn
In Contention: Witts, Blicavs

Forward LocksL Jezza, C.Cameron, Bolton, Curnow, Heeney
In Contention: Hawkins, Lynch, Stengle

Angus Brayshaw ranks third for intercept possessions (despite playing the last two games completely in the midfield), 11 ahead of the next best medium defender in Saad. Second for marks behind Sicily. Crazy for a player who had never played in the backline before Salem went down during our R1 game.

Hard to look past him as far as the intercepting running defenders go. Much better shout than May IMV.

Interesting take!

He was close to best on ground in a team that got pantsed last weekend and on the brownlow predictor votes he has polled in 6 of the last 8 ganes! Dont think you cab have a better lead up to an all australian decision if you tried.

But im not saying he is a lock but i feel he deserves it. Alot of others very close though.
Yeah, he was very good against us. Could easily get 3 against the Cats because we had such an even spread. But you know it's not objective so at best he will get two, and likely one.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back