List Mgmt. 2022 Carlton Consensus Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

I can't believe LOB has the same number of votes as Ed.

You people are absolutely crazy.
Given our list and the way the voting is done, this exercise will not go well this year. No slight on Matty, just too many good options, going to outvote the peripherals. Wait until you see how the backline pans out.

Given our list and the way the voting is done, this exercise will not go well this year. No slight on Matty, just too many good options, going to outvote the peripherals. Wait until you see how the backline pans out.
It might be a year where we should pick the interchange players separately & last, to ensure the best players don’t miss out and team balance

Matty411 too late?

I went with the following midfield

Williams - Cripps - Hewett
Ruck - Cerra - Walsh

Apart from Cripps, all of those players can play in the middle or wing

6th rotation mid, I went with Kemp, as I believe he has more versatility in other areas compared to Dow, LOB, Newnes, Setters and marginally more versatility over Ed or Kennedy

Ed or Kennedy as my 7th choice

I don't think i've ever selected four names faster. Cripps, Walsh, Cerra and Hewett.

I honestly still can't believe we have Cerra in this side.
I find it extremely odd that those four don't have 100%.
Walsh on 99.4%??? That one person who didn't vote for Walsh needs a permaban!
The fab four is a lock. The other two spots are interesting though and I had 11 players trying to squeeze into those two spots.

Newnes: I almost considered him. Mainly for the reaction but I do genuinely believe he's our best wing - he's just not in our top 6 mids. I think he'll play a lot more than many expect.
I'd play LOB, Walsh, Cerra, Doc, Williams, Martin or Fisher on a wing before Newnes. He just doesn't get enough of the ball, poor disposal, poor decision making and has no room for any real improvement. Might scrape in as the med sub for a bit of versatility, but will be great in the VFL side.

This exercise is always contentious and I don't expect any different this year.

Every line will be difficult - I already mentioned earlier that picking 6 of the guys listed in the poll is basically impossible given I suggest at least 10 are in our best side.

LOB wouldn't have been in my top 10 midfield options. But who knows, maybe 2022 will be his year.

I agree. He's coming from a long way back.

It's certainly not impossible for him to turn things around but clearly he's up against it.

I'd play LOB, Walsh, Cerra, Doc, Williams, Martin or Fisher on a wing before Newnes. He just doesn't get enough of the ball, poor disposal, poor decision making and has no room for any real improvement. Might scrape in as the med sub for a bit of versatility, but will be great in the VFL side.

Newnes gets as much if not more of the football than just about all those others you've put forward.

Each to their own but the only natural wing options from that lot are Newnes, LOB, Walsh. Martin, Fisher have never shown they are capable on a wing.

My 6 picks were
Walsh
Cripps
Cerra
Hewett
Kennedy
Williams

Dow has a good chance to come into this midfield for Kennedy or another young guy with some explosive pace. We have a lot of one pace mids, so this is why I added Williams in. To add a different kind of pace to the mix. I seen a pic of Cerra next to cripps and he looks ripped I hope he hasn’t loss some of his pace with the muscle gained. But geez our midfield is starting to look nice with that hardness/class added. NEW ERA FOR THE BAGGERS!!!

Yeah it will be interesting to see the back 6
I think even Hewett will play 30-40% backline for that added experience and to fill Doc’s spot for a little while

Not much to say that hasn't already been said. But I'll say it anyway!!!
  • First four (Walsh, Cripps, Cerra, Hewett) pick themselves.
  • Every other player has one major weakness
    • Super talented but better suited elsewhere (eg Williams at HBF, Martin at HFF)
    • Proven mids but fit very poorly with the first four (eg Ed and Kennedy)
    • Fit well with first four but are unproven (LOB, Philp, Carrol, Fisher etc)
  • So it's all about balance, which seems badly out of whack. Clearly we lack outside run. I know Walsh, Hewett and Cerra could all play on the wing, but they are more dangerous as inside/outside 'rovers' with Cripps the traditional centre.
My main considerations for the remaining two spots are:
  • Ed: I think he is grossly underrated and still has good footy left in him. I think he has the running capacity and the mindset to play a defensive wing role ala Brayshaw at the Dees? OK, his skills are not super clean, but they are much neater than most think. YES.
  • LOB: The best fit for what we need, has the perfect attributes to play wing. I'd like to see him get one last proper shot but I don't see him making it. NO.
  • Kennedy: Best pure midfielder outside the big 4, but not a great fit with others' lack of speed/spread. MAYBE
  • Philp: Played as an inside mid as a junior, but looks to have skillset for outside leaning role. MAYBE
  • Newnes: Not the most talented footballer on this list, but proven AFL quality(-ish) wing. MAYBE.
  • Dow: Still unproven, but trending upwards and has plenty of potential. MAYBE
  • Carroll: I am bullish on him and think he could be a perfect fit for our midfield, but as yet unproven at AFL level. TOO EARLY.
In the end, I am going to go with Ed as 5th mid (proven, versatile) and Dow (top of the chain from all the unprovens).

Kennedy to come straight in as cover for Cripps if needed. Newnes to come straight in as outside cover. LOB to be given 8-10 to weeks to see if he has it; if not, then all over. Philp next in line to take Dow's role as 6th/beta testing mid.

So.... start the year off with Walsh, Cripps, Cerra, Hewett, Ed, Dow. Kennedy and Newnes as experienced backup. And then Philp, LOB, Setters, Carroll, Fisher etc to be given a run at some point if they show form in the 2nds and we need replacements.

Note: I will be picking Williams and Stocker in backline and Martin up fwd.

I find it extremely odd that those four don't have 100%.
Walsh on 99.4%??? That one person who didn't vote for Walsh needs a permaban!
The fab four is a lock. The other two spots are interesting though and I had 11 players trying to squeeze into those two spots.
It's most likely someone from outside the board just having a little troll. Or someone who loves the fringe players and is trying to give them more votes on the basis that Walsh is definitely going to get in anyway.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Midfield Vote Complete
Midfield unit set
Our first group of players in our 2022 Consensus 22 has been decided, with a predictable quartet - Cripps (97.6%), Cerra (99.4%), Hewett (97%) and Walsh (99.4%) almost unanimous.

The final on-field spot and first bench rotation for our midfield group went to improving youngster Paddy Dow (52.4%) and 2021 redemption story Matty Kennedy (38%).

Whilst Kennedy had a fair few more votes than the next rung of players (the likes of Ed Curnow and Zac Williams), fans were split outside our first four.

The makeup of our on-ball brigade has been contentious given the perceived lack of leg speed, despite the overall quality being a few levels higher than years gone by.

All eyes now turn to our defenders as the back six + 1 go under the hammer.

Yes, so include Doc as if he were fit as per OP. I still hold out hope he will build over summer and be okay.

You just made things a whole lot tougher. Marchbank and Doc both have to be considered now.

I've gone with Weitering, Young, Saad, Williams, Stocker, Marchbank and Kemp. Young of course with the big job of stepping up and being a reliable partner for Weiters.

Go well Young fella.

The rest is a very solid unit for Voss and Hamill to work with. Some great depth in medium defenders too beyond this group.

I would have preferred to pick for Docherty and Stocker in the midfield, and leave my back 7 as this ideally:
FB: Plowman - Young - Marchbank​
HB: Saad - Weitering - Williams​
Kemp as interchange (and Stocker too both of them can cover mid/def)​
But, given that Docherty and Stocker were not chosen in the midfield - I have to drop a few of my defenders.
So Williams have to go forward and Plowman misses out :'(

Anyway - my defenders are:
FB: Docherty - Young - Marchbank​
HB: Saad - Weitering - Stocker​
Int: Kemp​

This is where I think things will now go pear shape after the likes of Dow being selected ahead of players with better output

So, gone with this backline

Doc - Weitering - Stocker
Williams - Young - Saad

7th Defender - Newwman

Kemp misses out here too

In reality, I believe Williams gets a start ahead of Dow in the midfield, Newman to 6th defender, Kemp 7th defender

This is where I think things will now go pear shape after the likes of Dow being selected ahead of players with better output

So, gone with this backline

Doc - Weitering - Stocker
Williams - Young - Saad

7th Defender - Newwman

Kemp misses out here too

In reality, I believe Williams gets a start ahead of Dow in the midfield, Newman to 6th defender, Kemp 7th defender

Yep.

I hope the 16 of you who don't have Doc in their 7 are simply neglecting the OP and assumption he's fit for R1.

Otherwise, touch disrespectful to the great man. May have his limitations and flaws but he's an AA and captain of the club.

Tough vote, this. Won't feel right it he's not selected.

Just cannot go with Doch after the eye test last season … too many fumbles, poor kicking …

Plowman. Weitering. Saad
Williams. Young. Stocker.
I. Williamson.

I have a hunch that our wings are going to surprise a lot of people. Tempted to move Saad and williams up to the wings. They are both too good to be used just in defence. We have plenty of other options for Half back- docherty, Tom W, Newman, Marchbank, stocker, kemp

I hope the 16 of you who don't have Doc in their 7 are simply neglecting the OP and assumption he's fit for R1.

Otherwise, touch disrespectful to the great man. May have his limitations and flaws but he's an AA and captain of the club.

Tough vote, this. Won't feel right it he's not selected.
That's why I was suggesting we do the 4 interchange players last, as inevitably some good players will miss out with this format unfortunately :straining:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back