Fixture 2022 Fixture

Remove this Banner Ad

Collingwood will play St Kilda and Hawthorn will play North Melbourne with the AFL able to reward football-starved fans by having all 10 Victorian teams play each other in round one giving Victorian fans the chance to see their teams live.

Nice
Would hope it’s a north home game at marvel

Wednesday night?

They just have to keep ******* with things don’t they?

Hey kids! Hey fans who don't live in metro Melbourne! Hey fans who have to wake up at sparrow's fart every day to earn a buck for your family!! You wanna go to the footy????? You sick of watching games on TV? You wanna think that you get value for coin by buying memberships?? You wanna feel valued by us?? Well...STIFF SH1T!

We're scheduling games that obviously aren't designed for you, but for our Lord and Master - FTA TV rights. We haven't cared about "N/A" being the attendance figure for numerous games in the past two years...just so long as the sweet, sweet $$$$$$$ keeps rolling in from some huge media deal...and that ain't changing now. So suck it up and tune in because if you don't like it, well we don't care about you so shut up.

Time to be vigilant against the "rolling fixture".

Whilst it may feel nice to be shielded against watching Carlton get reemed every second Friday night. Or a 12th vs 14th "blockbuster" in prime time, but the only things the "rolling fixture" serves is broadcasters and the AFL. Not the fans. Not the clubs. Just the AFL and its business model.

True fans will go to watch their team Shakira (Whenever/Wherever). The rolling fixture only enables the AFL to bury a team and its sponsors to a wider audience.

My vigilance is heightened because it happened to my team in 2021. To get ONE FTA game in a season should never happen. If the AFL wanted to 'rationalise' teams anywhere then they can do it easily by making them anonymous to the widest possible audience. I couldn't care who it was. I was at the Round 21 1996 game between Richmond and Fitzroy and it remains the only game I cried at (including games where I could have cried for joy - 1996 GF or 1999, or despair - 1998 GF). Fitzroy were a cooked goose, but the AFL were the guy from Phil Collins' In The Air Tonight. They could have saved them from from drowning, but they would not lend a hand. Whilst 1996 was glorious year for us, the off-field stuff - Melbourne Hawks, North Fitzroy Kangaroos, Brisbane Lions - should NEVER happen again.

If the AFL wanted a team to 'disappear' they could easily make them 'irrelevant' by hiding them away because they don't win very often. Sponsors would run for cover, recruits shy away, media shun them.

The rolling fixture is conveniently explained due to COVID restrictions, but we should be very wary of it.

Last edited:
Hey kids! Hey fans who don't live in metro Melbourne! Hey fans who have to wake up at sparrow's fart every day to earn a buck for your family!! You wanna go to the footy????? You sick of watching games on TV? You wanna think that you get value for coin by buying memberships?? You wanna feel valued by us?? Well...STIFF SH1T!

We're scheduling games that obviously aren't designed for you, but for our Lord and Master - FTA TV rights. We haven't cared about "N/A" being the attendance figure for numerous games in the past two years...just so long as the sweet, sweet $$$$$$$ keeps rolling in from some huge media deal...and that ain't changing now. So suck it up and tune in because if you don't like it, well we don't care about you so shut up.
Pretty sure kids can go to bed late 1 night during the year.

Pretty sure kids can go to bed late 1 night during the year.

You're right. I'm sure my kids were the exception. They wouldn't have been fine as a 7yo staying out until 11.30+ on a Wednesday night at the footy and expecting to be up at 7 the next morning ready for a full day at school on Thursday, but every other kid would have been OK.

Last edited:
You're right. I'm sure my kids were the exception. They wouldn't have been fine as an 7yo staying out until 11.30+ on a Wednesday night at the footy and expecting to be up at 7 the next morning ready for a full day at school on Thursday, but every other kid would have been OK.
Can't please everyone mate.

But you can try. Or at least be seen to try. But fixturing Wednesday night games does neither.

It pleases the bottom line. And by extension, Gil’s pockets.

I detest the fact that this sporting competition has turned into a business.

It pleases the bottom line. And by extension, Gil’s pockets.

I detest the fact that this sporting competition has turned into a business.

I don't detest that an elite professional sporting competition has turned into a business. The competition has grown and matured. But an elite professional sporting competition/business doesn't have to exist without a heart, without empathy with its own roots, without a conscious, without an understanding of its own place in the community. Gil has to please the bottom line, fair enough, but to the extent of what?

Fixturing is an obvious tool to marginalise teams. It stands to reason that a team that only gets one FTA timeslot a year, one MCG appearance a year over a sustained period, one Friday/Saturday night match a year is being marginalised. The argument of "win more games" is understandable but doesn't hold up against a 17th placed Collingwood, or consecutive bottom 5 Adelaide or Hawthorn.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They aren't fixturing our game on the Wednesday night, right? So what's the big deal?

Time to be vigilant against the "rolling fixture".

Whilst it may feel nice to be shielded against watching Carlton get reemed every second Friday night. Or a 12th vs 14th "blockbuster" in prime time, but the only things the "rolling fixture" serves is broadcasters and the AFL. Not the fans. Not the clubs. Just the AFL and its business model.

True fans will go to watch their team Shakira (Whenever/Wherever). The rolling fixture only enables the AFL to bury a team and its sponsors to a wider audience.

My vigilance is heightened because it happened to my team in 2021. To get ONE FTA game in a season should never happen. If the AFL wanted to 'rationalise' teams anywhere then they can do it easily by making them anonymous to the widest possible audience. I couldn't care who it was. I was at the Round 21 1996 game between Richmond and Fitzroy and it remains the only game I cried at (including games where I could have cried for joy - 1996 GF or 1999, or despair - 1998 GF). Fitzroy were a cooked goose, but the AFL were the guy from Phil Collins' In The Air Tonight. They could have saved them from from drowning, but they would not lend a hand. Whilst 1996 was glorious year for us, the off-field stuff - Melbourne Hawks, North Fitzroy Kangaroos, Brisbane Lions - should NEVER happen again.

If the AFL wanted a team to 'disappear' they could easily make them 'irrelevant' by hiding them away because they don't win very often. Sponsors would run for cover, recruits shy away, media shun them.

The rolling fixture is conveniently explained due to COVID restrictions, but we should be very wary of it.

My hips don’t lie, Shakira.

FOOTY FESTIVAL
REVEALED AFL’S PLAN TO BRING OUR GAME HOME
EXCLUSIVE JAY CLARK

■All Victorian Rd 1
■ 12 games in 10 days
■ Dees v Dogs opener

FOOTY will be back with a bang in Victoria when the AFL launches the 2022 season with blockbuster games and sellout crowds.

It will be a magnificent return to the game’s heartland with 12 men’s and women’s matches across 10 days in a “footy festival extravaganza”.

The game’s welcome-back party will include round 10 of the AFLW season on March 11-13, followed by a new-look AFL round 1 featuring five all-Victorian games in Melbourne.

Anticipation will reach fever pitch when reigning premier Melbourne and Western Bulldogs open the new AFL season in a grand final rematch under lights on Wednesday, March 16. The Demons will unfurl their premiership flag at a packed-out MCG.

Richmond and Carlton will clash in the traditional round 1 blockbuster on Thursday night, followed by Collingwood-St Kilda on Friday night at Marvel Stadium.

Geelong and Essendon lock horns in the annual “Country Game” on Saturday from 2.10pm, before Hawthorn hosts North Melbourne on Sunday from 1.10pm, both at the MCG.

It will be the first time all 10 Victorian AFL teams play in Melbourne on the same weekend since round 20, 2016.
FOOTY fans have been urged to get to live games with friends and family next season as part of a return to a more normal way of life.

AFL chief executive Gillon McLachlan said fans who had been starved of live action over the past two years should “support your tribe” when the AFLW kicked off from January 7 and AFL from March 16 next year.

There have been only 30 games with crowds at the MCG since the pandemic began in March 2020, depriving Victorians of one of their greatest sporting loves.

But McLachlan said the high vaccination rates meant it was finally time for fans to return to their seats at venues and express their footy passion once more.

“Footy is one of the key parts of what makes this city and this state tick and we have been starved of it for a couple of years,” McLachlan said.

“So we are working hard to make sure every Victorian supporter can see their club – men’s and women’s – over that period and get back to the way of life that we love.

“That means pushing ourselves and making the effort and supporting your team and your tribe. Getting to the MCG and to Marvel Stadium, these great institutions, with your family and with your friends and reclaim the way we used to go about things. It is what makes this city incredible.

Hopefully, everyone supports that.”

The AFL completed a miraculous highwire act to keep the past two seasons alive – resulting in incredible premiership wins for Richmond at The Gabba in 2020 and Melbourne in Perth last year.

The Demons’ droughtbreaking flag in Western Australia prompted the league to hand the season-opener to the Demons and Bulldogs on Wednesday, March 16, before the Richmond and Carlton clash on Thursday night.

McLachlan said the early feedback had been positive as the grand finalists prepared to meet in the first game of the new season.

“I feel very bullish about how people are going to embrace it,” McLachlan said.

“It is a real tip of the cap to Melbourne who hadn’t won the premiership in a long time, and the Bulldogs and how they played off in the grand final.

“So from that perspective, I think it is a really snug fit.” jay.clark@news.com.au

Remove this Banner Ad

Back