No Oppo Supporters 2022 General AFL Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think this whole thing should be presented as just a racist issue. I think it should be presented as Clarkson is a ruthless, win at all costs coach and ultimately an absolute campaigner of a human being because of that attitude. Regardless of race, the stuff that he is accused of and confirmed by a variety of people (even some of the words of Hodge seem to suggest he has experienced some of these behaviours) is bloody awful and should have no place in society.

I don't think this whole thing should be presented as just a racist issue. I think it should be presented as Clarkson is a ruthless, win at all costs coach and ultimately an absolute campaigner of a human being because of that attitude. Regardless of race, the stuff that he is accused of and confirmed by a variety of people (even some of the words of Hodge seem to suggest he has experienced some of these behaviours) is bloody awful and should have no place in society.

well said

It's all well and good for Hodge to a this stuff. The point is that Indigenous players were treated differently to other players. Hodge might have got some tough love, but his wife wasn't pressured to have an abortion.

I agree with mister b a bit - this stuff is totally unacceptable in any context but it's being presented racially because these actions happened along racial lines.

It's all well and good for Hodge to a this stuff. The point is that Indigenous players were treated differently to other players. Hodge might have got some tough love, but his wife wasn't pressured to have an abortion.

I agree with mister b a bit - this stuff is totally unacceptable in any context but it's being presented racially because these actions happened along racial lines.
Where's your proof that they were treated differently , maybe a bit of meth and other issues on one side and advice to change that lifestyle especially with a pregnancy . Also 1 is in jail due to drug issues that have been around while even playing .
All accused have had aboriginal and other players living in their homes .

"...and helped me to be comfortable in my own skin".

There is a preface (which for some reason doesn't appear when the tweet is linked) where he says he cannot speak to the confronting accusations, but wishes to speak of his personal experiences with the trio named.

Bit of a misfire though from Hodge. Clarkson & co's treatment of white players isn't what's being questioned here.

Bit of a misfire though from Hodge. Clarkson & co's treatment of white players isn't what's being questioned here.
Yep, okay these are only allegations fine but the allegations made are of a racial nature so a white guy coming out and saying all these guys are so great because they treated me great really doesn't help anything. If anything it just kind of says "They treated me, a white guy better". He shouldn't have said anything imo. If you want to show them support call them up, text them, whatever.

Putting evidence and meth in same sentence without even a flicker of irony.

Where's your proof that they were treated differently , maybe a bit of meth and other issues on one side and advice to change that lifestyle especially with a pregnancy . Also 1 is in jail due to drug issues that have been around while even playing .
All accused have had aboriginal and other players living in their homes .

Last edited:
Hypothetically: if Clarkson identified that certain players were jeopardising their careers because they were associating with drug users & suggested they distance themselves from such person(s), is that racist?

Personally, I don’t think it is. In fact, he probably has an obligation to do so.

Yes, yes - I know, there was more to it. But still, I’m not entirely sure this is about race.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hypothetically: if Clarkson identified that certain players were jeopardising their careers because they were associating with drug users & suggested they distance themselves from such person(s), is that racist?

Personally, I don’t think it is. In fact, he probably has an obligation to do so.

Yes, yes - I know, there was more to it. But still, I’m not entirely sure this is about race.
Is it racist to discuss drugs and jail without any plausible connection other than Indigeneity?

Sure. Except in the context of this investigation it is purely about race.
Yes this investigation is a race report - and it's horrifying, but (and please don't shoot me here, I'm trying to look at this whole thing objectively) has anyone spoken to white kids that have fallen by the wayside to see if these things happened to them also?
Basically what I'm saying is that it's perhaps the methodology of an obsessed and determined coach who maybe treated all his players, or more specifically those that needed pushing, like this and not actually a race thing, but because of what the indigenous boys have endured not only in their lives but those of their ancestors, have reacted and taken to heart so much more than other boys. I'm not justifying what has happened, there is no justification for behaviour like that, but just saying that perhaps there's more to the story.

I don't personally know any of the people involved, but my son in law worked at the Gabba until two years ago and his role involved him working very closely with all the tenants and he is stunned at the allegations. He obviously doesn't know the behind the scenes stuff, but said he simply cannot connect what he has read with the Chris Fagan he knows and worked with. The Fagan he knows is a warm, genuine man who is adored by all at the Lions, both staff and players and he has created an encompassing environment where all are encouraged to feel a part of the club, a world away from the atmosphere when my SiL first started there in the Leppitch era.

"Hey mate, don't hang out with drug dealers, it could hurt your career" - not racist

"Hey mate, don't hang out with that group of <negative term for Indigenous Australias> cause they are a bunch of druggies" - racist

Are you accusing me of racism for looking at an issue from a range of possible (hypothetical) perspectives?

C’mon - that’s unfair.
Nah I'm not in making a point about other discussions on the forum, not even just on this board. The constant implication that drugs or crime etc are involved in this story has been informed by racist assumptions. This idea that if there has been pressuring someone into isolating from his family or his partner into an abortion it must be because their family are druggies and criminals. There is no reason whatsoever to think that's part of this story given all we know about these people is that they are Indigenous.

Boy!
My how people's opinion on here has changed.
Many of us would have bent over backwards for him to be our coach.

Once again, let's just settle & sit back to see what come out......................................from the 'evil' side.

Sadly, his positive opinion of Fagan can't count.
Am I doing this right folks?
Someone can be a really warm lovely man and still make decisions which are informed by racist attitudes. Like both those claims that Fagan is a top bloke and the other claims can be true at once.

Racism isn't this seething hatred. In this context it's the idea that these men aren't able to navigate their family relationships etc themselves. It's a paternalistic idea of "we know what's best for them".

Boy!
My how people's opinion on here has changed.
Many of us would have bent over backwards for him to be our coach.

Once again, let's just settle & sit back to see what come out......................................from the 'evil' side.
To be fair I have never liked Clarkson and always saw him as a hyper aggressive hypocrite with little man syndrome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back