Analysis 2022 List, Game Plan and Best 22?

Remove this Banner Ad

I've bitten completely through my tongue since this is the 2022 thread. Happy to tell people why they're wrong about him being easily replaceable, offering no unique or special "strings to the teams bow", or in a fait accompli, overtaken by others, in his own thread from now on though.

Yeah sure. But what id really love is to know why he was peddled as trade bait one year and then sent away without an offer I understand. There are usually reasons. Perhaps misplaced but reasons nonetheless. Anyone with those insights would be appreciated.

Sorry if my indifference upsets you Caesar. I stand by our club and it's players. I don't stand by players from another club. Simple equation for me

Yeah sure. But what id really love is to know why he was peddled as trade bait one year and then sent away without an offer I understand. There are usually reasons. Perhaps misplaced but reasons nonetheless. Anyone with those insights would be appreciated.

Sorry if my indifference upsets you Caesar. I stand by our club and it's players. I don't stand by players from another club. Simple equation for me

It doesn't upset me. I just find it curious.

I'm not interested in re-opening old debates that have been done to death. I have been posting some updates about George's pre-season in the appropriate thread. That is all. It's a chance for any of us who are not indifferent to him (such as myself, Bloods86, Kiama Chris and Rusty, among others) to continue to support him. It would be oh so easy for those who no longer give a damn to just ignore the thread. It's titled 'George Hewett' so they can't enter without knowing what the topic of conversation will be. Yet they continue to go in there and re-hash the same arguments that had been had for over a year. If they are so OK with and unbothered by us trading Hewett, why can't they just let a few posts supporting him at his new club go without feeling the need to whip their proverbials out?

It doesn't upset me. I just find it curious.

I'm not interested in re-opening old debates that have been done to death. I have been posting some updates about George's pre-season in the appropriate thread. That is all. It's a chance for any of us who are not indifferent to him (such as myself, Bloods86, Kiama Chris and Rusty, among others) to continue to support him. It would be oh so easy for those who no longer give a damn to just ignore the thread. It's titled 'George Hewett' so they can't enter without knowing what the topic of conversation will be. Yet they continue to go in there and re-hash the same arguments that had been had for over a year. If they are so OK with and unbothered by us trading Hewett, why can't they just let a few posts supporting him at his new club go without feeling the need to whip their proverbials out?

Support him all you like C. I only responded because you called an opinion about a player shuffled out the door as "ridiculous". If he was so certain of a place through his skill then why isn't he here? That's all. Btw from recollection I suspect that's the first post I've made in the thread

Support him all you like C. I only responded because you called an opinion about a player shuffled out the door as "ridiculous". If he was so certain of a place through his skill then why isn't he here? That's all. Btw from recollection I suspect that's the first post I've made in the thread

Because it wasn't stated as an opinion, it was stated as a fact.

In any case, I am over the topic. I've heard every reason under the sun as to why we were right to trade Hewett, from the money he was on, to the kids coming up underneath him, and even imaginary issues with his back. I no longer care why he is gone, but only care how he goes in the future. I'm going to keep posting updates on how George is going in his thread, because he's a great player who would've been a premiership Swan if the AFL wasn't corrupt, and whose son will qualify to be a Swan via father-son eligibility. If that prompts people to feel the need to come in and open a messy can of worms that only ends one way, then that's on them.

Interesting best 22 by Zero Hanger here. Quite a few things I'd do differently but I can appreciate the thought that went into it and a decent understanding of our list.

Best 22​

FB: Jake Lloyd, Tom McCartin, Dane Rampe
HB: Braeden Campbell, Lewis Melican, Harry Cunningham
C: Oliver Florent, Josh Kennedy, Justin McInerney
HF: Isaac Heeney, Lance Franklin, James Rowbottom
FF: Tom Papley, Logan McDonald, Will Hayward
FOL: Tom Hickey, Luke Parker, Callum Mills
I/C: Peter Ladhams, Errol Gulden, Chad Warner, Nick Blakey

EMERG: Dylan Stephens, Hayden McLean, Sam Wicks, Joel Amartey

Interesting best 22 by Zero Hanger here. Quite a few things I'd do differently but I can appreciate the thought that went into it and a decent understanding of our list.

Best 22​

I think that's identical to my Best 22 (let's not revisit my Wicks stance), but I'd make a bunch of positional changes. Swap Lloyd and Cunners. Swap Campbell and Blakey. JPK to the bench, Gulden to HF, Rowy to midfield. Probably swap Rampe and Melican still.

Best 22​

Whatever it takes, Wicks has to start.

Hewett is either the most underrated or overrated mid we have ever had on this board. There is no in between haha

Hewett is one of the first players on this board that I have simultaneously really liked and rated and also found was overrated at the same time somehow.

Last edited:

Best 22​

A fair number of the same cattle but organised differently.
Cunningham Melican Rampe
Lloyd McCartin Blakey IC McInerney
Florent Mills Heeney
Gulden McDonald Hayward
Wicks Franklin Papley IC Ladhams
Hickey Parker Rowbottom
IC Warner IC Kennedy
I can't find a place for Campbell or Stephens! Bless our Match Committee, Tough times ahead.

A fair number of the same cattle but organised differently.
Cunningham Melican Rampe
Lloyd McCartin Blakey IC McInerney
Florent Mills Heeney
Gulden McDonald Hayward
Wicks Franklin Papley IC Ladhams
Hickey Parker Rowbottom
IC Warner IC Kennedy
I can't find a place for Campbell or Stephens! Bless our Match Committee, Tough times ahead.

Looks perfect to me!

And to be fair, Campbell and Stephens, talented they may be, are the up and comers who have to force their way in. The incumbents are incumbents for a reason. But who knows, maybe those two are training well and one of the incumbents aren't, and it will show in the pre-season hitouts and they'll get their opportunity!

Usually every online list has Florent locked on a wing and a controversial omission like Wicks or Campbell etc when really I think Florent is the 23rd man until form dictates otherwise.

Rating Florent as depth is not a bad thing btw it just shows how many promising players we have.

Usually every online list has Florent locked on a wing and a controversial omission like Wicks or Campbell etc when really I think Florent is the 23rd man until form dictates otherwise.

Rating Florent as depth is not a bad thing btw it just shows how many promising players we have.

I'd say Florent's the 22nd man. In that I think he's probably the least impressive member of the team, in a position with healthy competition. I'm also confident that Campbell will be better than Florent in the future, but he's not better yet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Florent has experience on the wing and can play the role.

Mcinerney might be playing half back. Gulden and Heeney have more experience in the forward line. Stephens and Campbell are still emerging. During the game Rowbottom and Warner probably rotates onto the wing though they are more naturally inside players.

The coaches might want someone who can reliably perform a specific role on the wing rather than just squeeze in the best players. Last season Florent had to do a lot of disciplined defensive running. And the coaches might want the wingers positioned offensively a certain way rather than sucked into the contest.

Last edited:
Probably best for a list management thread..
Coaches, management and staff cop a lot of s**t on here..
did anyone notice that we employed Dalrymple about the same year we really started to hit the draft hard? Since his appointment the Swans have done bugger all trading (salary cap, age demographic, etc etc) and really concentrated on drafting.

Pretty good list / staff management

I think Florent has experience on the wing and can play the role.

Mcinerney might be playing half back. Gulden and Heeney have more experience in the forward line. Stephens and Campbell are still emerging. During the game Rowbottom and Warner probably rotates onto the wing though they are more naturally inside players.

The coaches might want someone who can reliably perform a specific role on the wing rather than just squeeze in the best players. Last season Florent had to do a lot of disciplined defensive running. And the coaches might want the wingers positioned offensively a certain way rather than sucked into the contest.
Pretty certain what you said about the positioning of the wingers is pretty right. Have observed that from day 1 with McInerney in particular. Two thirds of a kick ahead of the scramble. IMO why JMac's possession numbers went up when he went back.

Best 22​

No Fox?

Glad to see we’re stacked with quality tall defenders.

No Fox?

Glad to see we’re stacked with quality tall defenders.
Fox at 185cm isn’t exactly tall 😂

If we don't care about the players, why should they care about us? They owe us no loyalty, since we show them none, so we aren't entitled to carry on whenever they seek a trade. And yet we do. I said this in the Hewett thread, which I'm not sure why the conversation was moved away from, since as you say, so few seem to care about him that perhaps the topic should just be kept there.

Two years of non discounted interstate adult memberships, at full price x 5 & not getting anything back for them says I can have an honest opinion of any player that is no longer at our club for what ever reason.
Two seasons & $3,000.:mad::mad:

By societal standards - true.

But 185cm makes you a KPD in the Swans current line-up.

Leaping Leo says hi.

I blame Sheedy for stupidly tall KPFs. Salmon wanted to ruck but he was played at FF. I remember Billy Picken trying his best to counter. Him one day. Salmon kicked 7 or thereabouts.

I read this article on AFL Live by Zero Hanger. Now this is a free article so I am not stealing intellectual property. But there are some problems. For a start, Blakey is see as a forward. He played the majority of last season at HB and was super. I can't see him being shipped to HF any time soon. The article had Campbell at HB. By the end of last season he was at HF and was very good there.

Another problem I found was that although he mentions McLean, he does not mention Amartey at all. While I do not believe Reid will play a major part in 2022 I still think he is in the mix. But ZH does not even mention him.

Robby Fox is not even mentioned as part of the back 6 mix. That is astounding. Too many basic errors and assumptions give me the idea the person who wrote this for Zero Hanger know very little about what is happening at the Swans. They obviously have not talked to anyone who has seen a training session and knows who is training with which group. This is pivotal to knowing where a player might play next season. But add to that getting basics wrong on the Blakey in the forward line is astounding.

I know the author is probably not a Swans member or fan but just looking into the preseason training thread at BF or Row would give the information required to make an accurate value judgement. The other thing is to look at Swans matches and do the research.

On JAT-L29 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back