List Mgmt. 2022 List Management: Draft, Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't see any issues. I think this outcome is mostly engineered.

My experience has been from a business point of view you are always looking to improve your list. Identify areas you need to improve and then make it clear to those that don't meet the standard that they would be better off elsewhere.

We did not have a team this year that could go all the way. I think Bell & Co have just continued and doubled down on their mission to win a flag in 5 years (JL years). They are ruthless but that's business.

I also know you don't just push people out without having explored replacements. I think Bell, Garlick, Longmuir have been completely aligned on this path.

I don't have any issue and expect to see some great trades drop that will improve the list in 2023. Doesn't mean it will work , but the most important factor is to back in the people with the plan and let them execute.
Great post.

I love Logue but he’s not best 22 when Our backline is fit, and he’s not a forward. Best for him, Freo and north for him to go.

Also a big Acres fan, but he’s fringe too as some of the young blokes come through. I would love him on the list for another couple of years but he’d wants more than we are prepared to pay.

Tucker would be good to remove salary if we can.

Forcing Lobb to stay is hardass.

I’m pissed off with Logue because he never lived up to what I expected of a pick 8.

He can win me back if he secures us a first round pick by slithering out the back door.

Number 1 point of business is to photoshop the campaigner out of that picture chairing Mundy off the ground last week

The injury factory ????

What a f***ing ****head jumping into an iconic photo like that and then bailing the next week

FLOG
Tantrum Crying GIF

Yeah but has he requested a trade to North or not? What constitues "mutual benefit"
I think that means that because Tucker is contracted, whatever is coming back to us needs to be justified releasing him in a trade, and if that cannot be satisfied, Tucker is happy to stay and see out his contract with the view to maybe trying again next year.

My 2 cents

Lobb - Stay = Freo pick 13 and future first to Melb for Jackson

OR

Lobb - pick 11 from Dogs and Freo pick 13 to Melb for Jackson

Logue - Future 2nd from Roos
Meek - to GWS for Dersken
Acres - Pick 28 from Blues then sent to GC for Sharp
Tucker - probably ends up staying
Henry - lucky not to be in the reserves for Peel
There is no way the Dogs would offer pick 11 for Lobb, 29 would be the offer. Regardless it looks like Freo will retain him for next season which they every right to do as he is still contracted. They are going to lose Acres & Logue and maybe 1 or 2 others so they can't afford to let starting 18 players walk out the door for meh draft picks when they are contracted.
If Sam Power offers 11 for Lobb I am sure Freo would take it in a heartbeat but Power would be run out of town by Dogs supporters for doing it.

We need to bring in an extra mature Defender KPP now. Hamling with his injuries is never a sure thing. Need someone content with playing peel most the year….

Josh Walker may be squeezed out and would be good depth. Cheap too. Just spitballing.
No bloody way, if others are spuds……just nup

Can we pin this?

People seem horrified by paying money for an unknown quantity but perfectly happy to overpay for known quantities.
That's a pretty limited view of list management strategies.

Logue could have been re-signed much earlier on a smaller contract instead of leaving it until rival bids start arriving.

PS: not quite sure why I quoted your post, but won't edit it out. Head is in a spin rock be honest, but excited to be going into another rebuild. It's what we do.

Last edited:
There is no way the Dogs would offer pick 11 for Lobb, 29 would be the offer. Regardless it looks like Freo will retain him for next season which they every right to do as he is still contracted. They are going to lose Acres & Logue and maybe 1 or 2 others so they can't afford to let starting 18 players walk out the door for meh draft picks when they are contracted.
If Sam Power offers 11 for Lobb I am sure Freo would take it in a heartbeat but Power would be run out of town by Dogs supporters for doing it.

I am still a bit baffled as to why you guys want him, to be honest.

I remember when every said I was crazy when I suggested we should demand pick 2 for Weller from GC

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's easily best 22.....easily.

We're just going around in circles now, so let's discuss something slightly different. What pick do you realistically believe we can get for him?
If Tabs was fit, Logue goes out. Fyfe fit, Logue out.

Amiss, Lobb, Tabs much better forwards in 2023.

And he’s depth defender in 2023. The “problem” is our first choice defenders of Pearce, Cox, Ryan are really good. Logue is also a really good defender but we can do without him.

If Tabs was fit, Logue goes out. Fyfe fit, Logue out.

Amiss, Lobb, Tabs much better forwards in 2023.

And he’s depth defender in 2023. The “problem” is our first choice defenders of Pearce, Cox, Ryan are really good. Logue is also a really good defender but we can do without him.
Logue wouldn't have been dropped, guarantee that

Lots of people seeing this the wrong way round. The large number of trade requests, with the exception of Lobb, are indicative of a great list. Acres, Logue, and Tucker can see the writing on the wall, Freo have great youth and they could all easily find their way outside best 22, as Tucker has done this season.

It's easy to stick the boot in and cry disloyalty, but a bit of empathy for their situation is needed.

In the long run this is likely to make Freo even stronger. All of these guys are at peak value now, and their departure provides future talent, ALA turning Weller into Brayshaw and Hill into Serong. In this instance we're turning Logue into Jackson, which is unquestionably a massive improvement given Jackson goes directly into the position Logue was playing in the second half of this season, plus he's four years younger.

I'll be happy for Logue to be playing the position he wants to play guaranteed. I feel for him as he knows he's giving up personal success so that he can make the best career from the limited time he has.

All the best Griffen, I'm gonna miss you mate.
If Griff is half the person he portrays, and Jlo is half the coach we think, players should realise premiership teams are built on blokes being prepared to make a sacrifice. You can't buy a flag. there's faults on both parties here, but the fact that so many want out, show's more fault with our culture and what we're building. Didn't take long for a team to fracture did it.

Lol... having these two posts juxtaposed straight after one another is the full bigfooty experience writ small.

Nuance and insight followed immediately by chicken little hyperbolic overreaction.

Jackson is already allowed for in the cap. That's extra from players not signing and leaving existing deals
I'm talking picks haha, when we trade for Jacko which will be two firsts we won't be able to trade in any big fish even though we can afford it. So we have a war chest we can't use.

In the AFL article it said, "He also communicated that he was very keen to ensure a positive result for all parties through the trade process."
Thanks for that, but that fills me with nothing. We're so over a barrel on this one - anyone but Nth. Even if Logue says that to Nth, which I can't see why anyone would say that to a new team whom you're trying to make stronger. Our only saving grace is that Nth shake some other big out of contract player out, and then they have to give up something. Otherwise it would be jaw droppingly stupid to give us anything. They have nothing this year outside of a compo pick to trade, and that will be too valuable. Just my 2 cents...I think I'm still in shock he's going to bloody Nth...why go through two rebuilds in a career...why oh why Nth...

I'm talking picks haha, when we trade for Jacko which will be two firsts we won't be able to trade in any big fish even though we can afford it. So we have a war chest we can't use.
AFL will allow us to bend the rules if we ask

We have taken like 15 first rounders in 5 years or something crazy like that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back