Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
There’s a handful in here:

The Suncorp crowd was good, but that was their big inaugural game at Suncorp. Not sure that crowd gets replicated. I suspect if they thought it would, they would have more of them.
So, I good crowd, but at a "special event" game.
I half decent crowd, but as part of a triple event.
I poor crowd as a ordinary standalone game.
To be fair, it's comparable to a bog standard AFLW game, but AFLW is getting 9 games a week for a 10 week season (plus finals).

Note that the AFLW reported its millionth person through the gate in January.

On SM-X200 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
Netball Australia just announced a big sponsorship deal with Hancock Prospecting, I.e Gina Rinehart.

The pearl clutchers on Twitter have gone batshit over it. Are these people genuinely suggesting that steel should be outlawed now? You'd think she was farming babies for their organs.

Jul 5, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Kidding, right?
Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Netball Australia just announced a big sponsorship deal with Hancock Prospecting, I.e Gina Rinehart.

The pearl clutchers on Twitter have gone batshit over it. Are these people genuinely suggesting that steel should be outlawed now? You'd think she was farming babies for their organs.

Same people canned the Aussie swimmers winning gold at the last Olympics. Hypocrisy no, cut them some slack ... :rolleyes:

Mar 24, 2017
Blackburn
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
I often hear from certain quarters in the media that the NRL has gone about its womens comp in a much better way than the AFL, by keeping it relatively small, doing double headers with the men, etc.
Well, just learned that Parramatta won one solitary game during the home and away season, and yet are playing off in the grand final.
Yep.
NRLW is much better to watch than AFLW. The game looks the same as the mens, as the women can throw, run and tackle. The main thing that makes AFLW unwatchable for many is that they cannot kick. This will come with time, but right now, yes NRLW is the better product.

May 13, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Brumbies, Socceroos
NRLW is much better to watch than AFLW. The game looks the same as the mens, as the women can throw, run and tackle. The main thing that makes AFLW unwatchable for many is that they cannot kick. This will come with time, but right now, yes NRLW is the better product.

Yeh, but it's all still very, very tentative on their part.
And...the season goes for bugger all time, with barely any stand alone games.
And....the chances of a Melbourne team having mainly local players is buckleys and none.
And...regardless of how much you want to talk up their capacity to catch a rubber ball thrown from 3 metres away and run in a straight line with it, it's still quite extraordinary that a team that only won one game in the home and away season could actually be playing off in a grand final.
The AFLW skills can be better, will be better, but one thing even footy fans often forget: it's pretty hard to execute with someone on your hammer running at flat chat, or in the process of getting bundled over from any direction a micro second after taking possession (if you can get it in the first place).
But someone handing it to you from a couple of metres away, with all opposition 10 metres away, well, yeh, not really that hard to execute.

Last night I saw on the Electronic Program Guide that on Sunday in SA, 9 on their main channel will take the NRL coverage from 11.30am to 11pm. I've been back in SA for a decade, but don't remember them taking the full coverage for all the day and night on their main channel. Reckons its been from about 5 pm onward in previous years. Can't recall what they have done on their sub channels.

Will be interesting to see the ratings figures over the 11+ hours. I reckon before the main game it will be bugger all. Wonder if its a directive from HQ in Sydney.

Bjo187

Premiership Player
Apr 30, 2020
AFL Club
Essendon

I agree with this but you have to take into account it's literally the most basic skilled sport in the world they are playing. Where as AFL probably has the most skills out of any sport to master.

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton

Ive said this before. Both games require skill - the problem for AFLW is that you cant just throw a ball any old how at someone behind you. You HAVE to handpass, you HAVE to bounce the ball, you HAVE to kick at least 15 metres - and all sorts of things can go wrong in that time. Full time coaching and skills training should help with that.

Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
I agree with this but you have to take into account it's literally the most basic skilled sport in the world they are playing. Where as AFL probably has the most skills out of any sport to master.
It's a bit simplistic calling it low skilled, but rugby league is a game that deters risk taking for the most part. Effectively you're guaranteed possession for 6 tackles so the first 5 you don't want to do anything that will give the ball up. And on the last you don't want to give the ball up in a favourable position to your opponent, so unless you're in a try scoring position yourself (I.e an already unfavourable position to your opponent) you're going to hoof it downfield for territory.

That results in most of the game being fairly predictable.

Bjo187

Premiership Player
Apr 30, 2020
AFL Club
Essendon
It's a bit simplistic calling it low skilled, but rugby league is a game that deters risk taking for the most part. Effectively you're guaranteed possession for 6 tackles so the first 5 you don't want to do anything that will give the ball up. And on the last you don't want to give the ball up in a favourable position to your opponent, so unless you're in a try scoring position yourself (I.e an already unfavourable position to your opponent) you're going to hoof it downfield for territory.

That results in most of the game being fairly predictable.

Name another sport in the world with more basic skills to execute? Throwing an underarm pass sideways a few metres, under zero pressure and catching said underarm pass with a rubber ball coming at you from 1 to 3m away.

weewilly

All Australian
Jul 18, 2003
Other Teams
Swans
Ive said this before. Both games require skill - the problem for AFLW is that you cant just throw a ball any old how at someone behind you. You HAVE to handpass, you HAVE to bounce the ball, you HAVE to kick at least 15 metres - and all sorts of things can go wrong in that time. Full time coaching and skills training should help with that.
And those are the reasons the Australian Football is one of the hardest to play and to be a champion you have to have many skills not just a couple like other football codes esp the rugby codes where bulk size is very important and that is why the Maoris and Islanders are so good at the game even some of the RL women are built like brick s**t houses!.

Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
Name another sport in the world with more basic skills to execute? Throwing an underarm pass sideways a few metres, under zero pressure and catching said underarm pass with a rubber ball coming at you from 1 to 3m away.
That's not what wins you games though, it's the examples of high skill, speed and power that do that.
It's just that the rules don't encourage that sort of play for 90% of the game. So for that 90%, games played across the various levels of the game are going to look very similar, even though any NRL team would beat an NRLW team 250 to nil.

RedV3x

It's about time some mods started being fair
Dec 14, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
NRLW is much better to watch than AFLW.

In your opinion.

The game looks the same as the mens, as the women can throw, run and tackle.

No. It lacks the intensity and looks odd.

The main thing that makes AFLW unwatchable for many is that they cannot kick.

On average women cannot kick as far and that makes for congestion but unwatchable - no

This will come with time,

I doubt it but the game will evolve.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Sad really. AFL fans using a non AFL titled thread to pump up AFL footy & put down other sports. Or is it simply knocking.

I see mens netball getting a mention today:
After a 1,451-day wait, the Australian men’s netball team are ready to return to the court

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton

kranger

Club Legend
Nov 30, 2006
Kalamunda
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Swan District
Ch7 broadcast just said over 16,000 at Leederville Oval for the WAFL grand final.

Which is really good, as the capacity was said to be 14,000.

Edit: to add images and show crowd of 16,791

a8d7c1659efbaeccc25a1b0e718a7a45.jpg

970139bce50ad4e4d384b40e72d84bf8.jpg

56e89750f75b4c208613dbee8fb710e1.jpg

0fe1ee22db1f262b1a45a98a0d2a8663.jpg

c1ab98e644876059c6bd513ebf18dcbd.jpg

02fc4b9e0aa1f6cefda46cea6bea2214.jpg

aef9c4f51aaad6e1b032ffb8a351f8b1.jpg

2a6870a7c3d501139d985e097f617c01.jpg

87c2e38e85cd2702241ee8462dd919b6.jpg

4dd55bf84ca71af50d66afb9d87c56fc.jpg

2c227e977fc0d82ba7d933a1e4833108.jpg

7cd0631897b3b131a6252622b68f8690.jpg

85d31ef17c4a077d10359d6578c715b7.jpg

be80dca764ef71875e3395ca1f30ba84.jpg

Last edited:

Macca180

Club Legend
Oct 5, 2021
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

Nailed it. NRL women's looks so much better than AFL women's because you just to throw a ball 5 meters. And Australia is full of short, fat, bogan chicks that can take on tackling.

RedV3x

Dec 14, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
May 13, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Brumbies, Socceroos
The Australia Cup game last night got a tick over 16,000, which I think is pretty good considering a non-professional club was involved, and even Macarthur would have the smallest following of the Sydney based A-League clubs.

Ratings were only 99k which is pretty poor.

Even poorer were the antics by the Sydney United clubs during the Welcome to Country.

Bjo187

Premiership Player
Apr 30, 2020
AFL Club
Essendon
The Australia Cup game last night got a tick over 16,000, which I think is pretty good considering a non-professional club was involved, and even Macarthur would have the smallest following of the Sydney based A-League clubs.

Ratings were only 99k which is pretty poor.

Even poorer were the antics by the Sydney United clubs during the Welcome to Country.

I watched did they also start chanting in Croatian during the Australian national anthem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back