Game Day 2023 AFL DRAFT

Remove this Banner Ad

Shows how little he knows about players outside of Vic, never take his phantoms too seriously. Goad was never going past Adelaide or North in the first round and if he had contacts in SA could have found that out fairly easily.
?

In his first mock draft he had us taking Goad with our final first round pick at 27

According to his late mail: “The Crows could look at taking ruckman Taylor Goad with their second pick ahead of other interest in him from North Melbourne and Collingwood”

He was the only one to link us to Oscar Ryan

He clearly knows what the * he’s talking about

Can some clever person upload the Hamish interview. I simply Googled Hamish Ogilvie Interview 2023 & there's an interview he did 4 hours ago - very enlightening. They had more contact with Curtin earlier this year than people on here realise.

Can some clever person upload the Hamish interview. I simply Googled Hamish Ogilvie Interview 2023 & there's an interview he did 4 hours ago - very enlightening. They had more contact with Curtin earlier this year than people on here realise.

This one? Was from last night

Interesting that we spoke to Curtin in March when we went over to Perth for those pre season games. Also that he went over to WA to watch Curtin play senior WAFL football.
Hamish made it clear he was happy to come to Adelaide.

Charlie Edwards also wanted to come to Adelaide and leave Victoria and we liked what he did forward of the ball and said he will get along well with Dowling.

Ryan is obviously Hamish's favourite and just think he's a ripping lad with great toughness and skills

I thought it was nice to see Nicks leave the team room, and go into the main hall, giving Ryan the good news before his name had even been announced. I didn't see any other coaches with that level of personal touch (though Hardwick was there, giving out jumpers to the GC boys).

I thought it was nice to see Nicks leave the team room, and go into the main hall, giving Ryan the good news before his name had even been announced. I didn't see any other coaches with that level of personal touch (though Hardwick was there, giving out jumpers to the GC boys).
I'd partially tuned out by that time of night, and I was wondering what the heck he was doing out there amongst the other attendees instead of in the team "war room". Once Ryan's name was called though, the penny dropped. Definitely a nice touch.

I was thinking, what the hell are you doing out of the control room when we were on the clock - how unprofessional..until the real motive was unveiled and the look on Ryan's face was priceless

I was thinking, what the hell are you doing out of the control room when we were on the clock - how unprofessional..until the real motive was unveiled and the look on Ryan's face was priceless
See I thought it was a good touch.

It was what I thought obvious that we were picking someone off that table and they'd gone out to deliver the news. Nothing Nicks/Dawson can do in the control room apart from look good for the camera so it didn't come off at all unprofessional.

I'm not a big draft watcher these days and the guys we've picked seem pretty good based on the little I've seen, but I am a bit confused about this notion that we needed our defence bolstered. Yeah we lost Doedee, but we've already replaced him. Murray is injured but only for one year. Worrell, Hinge, Michalanney are all locks back there, and we have Borlase and Keane as backup options... and that's just the talls!

Wasn't the consensus that we needed serious midfield talent? Edwards, fine, although it seems like he's played most of his football so far as a forward. Ryan is a half back flanker, and based on the interviews I've heard the Crows seem to view Curtin as a defender long term. All three "could" play midfield one day, but are any of them actually midfielders?

Next year we're looking at bring in Welsh, Petty and Lukosius are possibilities. Where are our gun mids coming from?

To me, this feels a bit like Thilthorpe now being talked up as our next ruck. All good, we need a decent ruck to replace ROB, but we didn't give up pick 2 for a 200cm ruck. We expected Thilthorpe to be a dominant forward, and paid accordingly in draft capital. If he ends up as "just" a good ruck, we didn't get our value out of that pick.

If Curtin ends up as "just" a key defender, rather than a midfielder, will that be good enough for what we've given? He would almost certainly be keeping one of our other KPD out of the side in that case, so the gain is just the difference between him and whoever he keeps out.

It seems every year we leave the trade/draft period saying "excellent, the ends of the ground are sewn up now so we can focus exclusively on midfielders next year", but we never actually do.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Genuinely any player with half a brain - including a recruit whose Dad is a partner of a Big 4 Accg firm with likely smart genes - must find Rowey absolutely cringeworthy. Why he acts in such a stupid manner is beyond belief.

Telling Curtin to “clip” his current girlfriend is just beyond embarrassing. IQ 10-20 points below MLB sports shows.

Ps not elated to hear he has a WA G/F

Going to be interesting to see how Edwards, Taylor and Dowling all develop.
We know Rachele, Soligo, Pedlar, Curtin should become high level players but if the above 3 come good we will be a real force.
It's also going to be interesting to see where Berry and Shoey fit into the team now.
They might fall by the wayside

I'm not a big draft watcher these days and the guys we've picked seem pretty good based on the little I've seen, but I am a bit confused about this notion that we needed our defence bolstered. Yeah we lost Doedee, but we've already replaced him. Murray is injured but only for one year. Worrell, Hinge, Michalanney are all locks back there, and we have Borlase and Keane as backup options... and that's just the talls!

Wasn't the consensus that we needed serious midfield talent? Edwards, fine, although it seems like he's played most of his football so far as a forward. Ryan is a half back flanker, and based on the interviews I've heard the Crows seem to view Curtin as a defender long term. All three "could" play midfield one day, but are any of them actually midfielders?

Next year we're looking at bring in Welsh, Petty and Lukosius are possibilities. Where are our gun mids coming from?

To me, this feels a bit like Thilthorpe now being talked up as our next ruck. All good, we need a decent ruck to replace ROB, but we didn't give up pick 2 for a 200cm ruck. We expected Thilthorpe to be a dominant forward, and paid accordingly in draft capital. If he ends up as "just" a good ruck, we didn't get our value out of that pick.

If Curtin ends up as "just" a key defender, rather than a midfielder, will that be good enough for what we've given? He would almost certainly be keeping one of our other KPD out of the side in that case, so the gain is just the difference between him and whoever he keeps out.

It seems every year we leave the trade/draft period saying "excellent, the ends of the ground are sewn up now so we can focus exclusively on midfielders next year", but we never actually do.
I guess we are really hoping that Rash or Pedlar become that gun mid in the next 1-2 years. Hopefully both.
Mrouch (v2), Laird and Dawson are good... but I want better and we need more anyway.

A lot of players that become gun mids are discussed at the draft as having played a variety of positions as a junior, which is what Curtin and Edwards have done. I think there's a big difference between drafting a tall that has actually played midfield like Curtin to a high standard, as opposed to just a stock standard KPD like (say) Denver Grainger-Barras

Obviously from here we have to develop them in that role

Also I'm sure we are banking on an elite midfielder developing from a Rachele, Pedlar or Soligo type but again, that requires developing them in that position not pigeonholing them as a forward

Having now taken Curtin and Edwards the issue to me isn't so much where is the midfield coming from, it's more are we going to take the steps to play these guys in the midfield and develop them into elite mids?

I think between Curtin, Edwards, Rachele, Pedlar and Solgio there's enough traits there for a very nice midfield. It won't become one if they are stuck in other positions.

On top of this we should be picking a midfielder in next year's mid-stacked draft with our first rounder

On top of this we should be picking a midfielder in next year's mid-stacked draft with our first rounder

I feel like I've heard this before... and that assumes we don't lose our first round pick to Welsh. But I hope you're right.

I would be very concerned if our thinking is that we already have a "finished" midfield at the club and it just needs developing.

Genuinely any player with half a brain - including a recruit whose Dad is a partner of a Big 4 Accg firm with likely smart genes - must find Rowey absolutely cringeworthy. Why he acts in such a stupid manner is beyond belief.

Telling Curtin to “clip” his current girlfriend is just beyond embarrassing. IQ 10-20 points below MLB sports shows.

Ps not elated to hear he has a WA G/F
To be fair - how many 17/18 year olds romances last? The high school sweethearts is lovely in an America rom com but is a bit overrated.

There’s some lovely young ladies in South Oz.

Not sure where you get the notion Edwards is anything but a midfielder, it’s where he played most of his U18 footy. Ogilvie has also made it clear that’s he’s here to be a big bodied midfielder alongside Dawson and Dowling.

You only need to watch any highlights package of Curtin to understand he will absolutely be a midfielder at AFL level. Isn’t just a defender that goes in there on occasion, has played big matches in the midfield already. Can get himself out of contests with elite agility and skills and can read ruck taps very well, that’s not the trait of someone stuck as a defender. May not spend 100% of the time there as he develops in his first season, but have no doubt will spend some time in there year one and ramp that up year 2. That he was dominant at CHB this year just shows how ridiculously talented he is and why he was rated a top 5 talent in this draft.

It’s like thinking Danger was a forward because he’s a bit taller and played up there a bit in U18 footy, was always a midfielder.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back