Player Watch 2023 Father Son player watch - McCabe, Dear and Maginness

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys, I keep deleting posts referencing this, but can we move away from suggesting or making juvenile jokes about the bloodlines of players.

This is a public forum and parents of players do read here.

No, don't think this is right. Dons were looking to trade only when a bid was made and had options ready. if no one traded, then they would have used up the pick 22 to match the bid on Davey.

remember this happening in an earlier draft. The risk is you have only 5 mins to make the move, can ask for an xtra min or 2 at best. so gotta have your ducks lined up. Pity no club was ready to make Bombers pay.

"For clubs to secure their linked talent, they must pay and match a bid by using the draft picks/points they already hold."

Finn's little brother, Ned Maginess is also available. Have only heard sporadic info about him.

Not sure how good he is though. Anyone have an idea.

Apparently he's a good prospect but is quite busy learning how to row.

"For clubs to secure their linked talent, they must pay and match a bid by using the draft picks/points they already hold."

yep and if you trade out your 22 and then match you can only use the picks you hold at the point of matching.

for ex: don's were loath to trade their 22 for set of 30's pick, cause then the 30's pick get used up. Why bother. Hence they were chasing our F2(WB) and a pick in 40's as they had 100 or so less points if a bid was made before 22(& they had traded 22 out).

there is no rule saying the picks are set in stone at the point a bid is made. It is only when a bid is matched.

yep and if you trade out your 22 and then match you can only use the picks you hold at the point of matching.

for ex: don's were loath to trade their 22 for set of 30's pick, cause then the 30's pick get used up. Why bother. Hence they were chasing our F2(WB) and a pick in 40's as they had 100 or so less points if a bid was made before 22(& they had traded 22 out).

there is no rule saying the picks are set in stone at the point a bid is made. It is only when a bid is matched.
The AFL intentionally closed loopholes around how points would be used to match for bids, and they tick off every trade as it happens, so I doubt they'd approve a pick trade after a bid even if it was allowed. The rule might be vague but if it were allowed there's no way GWS would have copped that bid from Sydney and not got something worthwhile for their next pick which was used to match.

The AFL intentionally closed loopholes around how points would be used to match for bids, and they tick off every trade as it happens, so I doubt they'd approve a pick trade after a bid even if it was allowed. The rule might be vague but if it were allowed there's no way GWS would have copped that bid from Sydney and not got something worthwhile for their next pick which was used to match.
Gws had a pick a few picks after so if they traded out 17 they would have lost their next pick and so wouldn’t have taken rowston only in the top 21. By not trading they got two picks. By my count two clubs called them during their allotted time. I’m guessing they were been made offers from the pick.

The Brisbane trade with hawthorn seemed to be in response to the bud on Ashcroft. It’s hard to tell for sure but that is the way it appeared during the telecast.

One of the informal offer Sydney gave GWS was trade pick 15 + one of 18/19 to Swans for Swans pick 14.

if GWS declined, swans said, they will place formal bid on Rowston. GWS declined, bid was placed. If GWS had changed their mind then, Swans can't withdraw bid and trade their pick at that point. The pick is locked till GWS decided what to do. If GWS matched bid, then it starts all over again as it a new pick which is held by swans. Swans can trade this pick, which is what they did after the Max M bid.

I had heard good things re Ned Maginness why isn’t he part of this thread?
Ned didn’t do much in junior footy this year.
We don’t know if he’ll even get into the Sandy squad, but we wait to hear from some of our posters who may have some insight.

Really liked what I saw of Maginness last year, a bit small and light bodied but plenty of talent. Hoping he has put on some height and strength since I saw him last which was back in April I believe.

Hey great news that both are least in the system. I wasn’t sure if they would

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ned Maginness, Dylan Moore, ( i believe) Calsher Dear and Finn Maginness at the Hawks training just before Christmas.
Screenshot_20230214_020417_Gallery.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Ned Maginness is also a familiar name, and if selected by Hawthorn, would follow his older brother Finn onto the list. Ned has been dominant in local under-age football, with some at his local club East Brighton Vampires believing Ned was a better prospect than Finn before he switched his attention to rowing.
Maginness has since returned his focus to football and has secured a place on the Sandringham Dragon’s list for the upcoming season. Ned is a lightly built midfielder who will be looking to impress in his draft year to earn himself a chance at an AFL career.

The feel-good story of the three potential prospects, Calsher Dear, the son of the late Paul Dear, has also come from local football where last year he played for Beaumaris.
He is a forward or undersized ruckman at local level and was brilliant in the U17 Grand Final win for Beaumaris in the SMJFL (South Metro Junior Football League) kicking two crucial last quarter goals.
Dear has an older brother, Harry, who was overlooked by the Hawks as a father-son selection in his draft year and was subsequently drafted by Adelaide but failed to play an AFL game.
Calsher will be looking to put his best foot forward for the Sandringham Dragons in 2023 and will be hoping to go one better than his brother by being drafted by the Hawks.

From --- A goldmine of father-son prospects

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back