Discussion 2023 General AFL Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cracking game but in the end the Cats had too many sore boys.

The Pies have great belief and system. Great to watch.

Imagine naming a human baby Gryan

Just wait, eventually there'll be something like Cynnamon Tiers going around once the TT crowd decide to get some sunshine and meet other humans.

Darcy Moore is in love with himself.

I would love to put the Hammer on him to give him a reality check.

Geelong always start slow, good finals teams know whe they need to be firing and it ain’t round 1.

He'll be a great pickup for them. Can't believe Hawthorn were so keen to get rid of him. Reminds me of us pushing the likes of Goddard and Dal out.
I think they did the right thing. It will take a few years but during that time they’ll have multiple top 10 picks in addition to the ones they’ve already had. If you’re going to rebuild, do it properly.

David King with a round 1 overreaction with Flagpies and I think I might join him. I’m struggling to find a weakness with them and they play the most exciting style we’ve seen in years which is building some serious belief within. Helped by some key injuries to Geelong but they’ve got it all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just finished watching, what an absolute cracker of a game! At certain points of the match I was trying to imagine our team being able to perform like that in front of 86000 people. Geez, we do seem a long, long way off that.

It's gonna take a while. 😳

"we had 12 players run under 10 minutes for three kilometres, we can really run and work. We'll play up tempo and we'll challenge some teams, we'll ask some questions." ~ Ross Lyon

But can we sustain the manic game like Collingwood?

*IF we can get to win a few games like the Pies style last night, then IMO our next premiership is not far away.

*IF such a small word, with such a big meaning.

"we had 12 players run under 10 minutes for three kilometres, we can really run and work. We'll play up tempo and we'll challenge some teams, we'll ask some questions." ~ Ross Lyon

*IF we can get to win a few games like the Pies style last night, then IMO our next premiership is not far away.

They really are what we should be aiming for because when you play the way they do it really doesn’t matter who’s playing forward, you’re going to kick goals. It’s not easy but that’s the way we should be looking to move the ball.

The difference is Collingwood hit targets. You can have all the fitness and run you like, but without the skills, you won't get to the next level.

For a long time our skills have been sh*t. Until we sort that, we're not getting near a flag.

I think they did the right thing. It will take a few years but during that time they’ll have multiple top 10 picks in addition to the ones they’ve already had. If you’re going to rebuild, do it properly.

They have a pretty good youth list already. Our was the model not to follow but if we had had a pro recruiter we would have done the same thing in 4 years that has taken us 12 and still going to do. It really is incredible that we have had so many draft fails. It's a system that is set up to avoid exactly what we did to ourselves.

David King with a round 1 overreaction with Flagpies and I think I might join him. I’m struggling to find a weakness with them and they play the most exciting style we’ve seen in years which is building some serious belief within. Helped by some key injuries to Geelong but they’ve got it all.

Geelong have been so good for so long because of the list being so well drilled. Bringing in new players takes some of that out and a lot of their best talent is over 30. I wasn't convinced that they were automatic deep finalists this year but they still look formidable opponents. Collingwood off one game look fantastic. Losing Howe is a massive hit though.

The difference is Collingwood hit targets. You can have all the fitness and run you like, but without the skills, you won't get to the next level.

For a long time our skills have been sh*t. Until we sort that, we're not getting near a flag.

Richmond had a dynasty based on chaos so it's not always true. Geelong won a flag but their super clean style of footy didn't hold up in finals for years.

As Plugger said you can have contrasting styles but really need to tailor to what you have. Ratts had us playing clean keepings off footy in 2021 and we didn't have the skills to achieve it. I think that we are going to have to create a game plan around our working class list. Tough, combative and disciplined is probably the best we can hope for.

They have a pretty good youth list already. Our was the model not to follow but if we had had a pro recruiter we would have done the same thing in 4 years that has taken us 12 and still going to do. It really is incredible that we have had so many draft fails. It's a system that is set up to avoid exactly what we did to ourselves.
I think our biggest mistake and it’s going to sound strange but I think it was trying to win too much. Top 10 picks aren’t enough, you need top 5 but I guess that judging by our other picks we probably would’ve butchered the picks anyway.

Richmond had a dynasty based on chaos so it's not always true. Geelong won a flag but their super clean style of footy didn't hold up in finals for years.

As Plugger said you can have contrasting styles but really need to tailor to what you have. Ratts had us playing clean keepings off footy in 2021 and we didn't have the skills to achieve it. I think that we are going to have to create a game plan around our working class list. Tough, combative and disciplined is probably the best we can hope for.
I don’t think you can win with different styles anymore. It’s fast footy or you fail.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back