Preview 2023 National Draft Preview Thread [currently: #2, #14 (PA), #19 (PP) #40, #52, #60]

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
No way in hell the AFL gives us a top 5 compo pick now
3 spoons in a row is only rivalled by the Swans of the early 90s.

We are historically bad.

If we are not deserving of assistance no club ever will be again.

Sucks to get another wooden spoon most likely but I guess this saves face for WCE given Reid clearly does not want to go there and gives us a chance to take the best kid or use it as a trade piece. If we hold onto it, I'm not trading no. 1 for the Dees deal though. I don't think pick 4, a late 1st and future late 1st do much. You'd want more quality picks inside top 5 or 10 before you even think about it dealing it imo.

If you believe that i dont know what to say. When have we ever gotten our due?
l think that this is the best examlpe with us being compared to the Dees of that year...

Both teams received first-round compensation picks, but the Hawks finished first on the ladder (and won the flag) before Buddy left, earning Pick 18. The Demons finished 17th, so their pick fell after their natural selection of Pick 2.

I don't know how to feel.

Do not want another spoon but this'll save us losing that Port first for the chance to potentially snag Reid.

I found myself hoping West Coast would hold on though, so I suppose deep down I felt this was the better outcome.
I had mixed feelings about the impact on us, but 100% wanted Eagles to beat Western because it is too ******* funny.

Can't believe what happened. What is going on with the Dogs? I do not understand them. Bevo's Napoli sauce is no good. Do you reckon he's in trouble?
I think Bevo is in trouble club had everything to play for the last 2 weeks.

The good thing is that theoretically all the assistance package and PPs and compos etc should be independent of one another

In a perfect world we would have our pick for finishing last (#1), an AFL-provided priority pick for being last for three years running (#2), and then a team would offer McKay a contract big enough to trigger band 1 compensation (#3). Whether you get Sanders as well is much of a muchness.

However I think we can all agree there's very little chance of the AFL allowing a team to have all 3 first picks in the draft ever again. What's far more likely in my view at least is that the AFL says OK you have been very bad for a long time. And you are also losing your 25yo KPD. Based on the secret herbs and spices which we won't release, you can have a pick directly after your first which is, by name, a compensation pick for losing McKay, but in reality is an agreed-upon compensatory pick/priority pick hybrid, even if McKay only gets an offer of say $700K from elsewhere

In essence I don't think moving from 17th to 18th changes anything about what we'll get from the league, except that it gives us a chance to draft both Curtin and Reid instead of say Reid and McKercher. It also gives us the leverage that the Eagles had if say Melbourne wanted to trade for #1. Which if we keep it after next week they may not want to do anyway

A league that is all about the optics is not going to have the first non-wooden-spooner live pick be at #5. I withhold the right to be proved wrong and still claim that I am super intelligent if this exact scenario has happened outside of the GWS/GC compromised drafts

#1 NM
#2 GC (matched bid)
#3 NM (priority pick)
#4 NM (compensation pick)
#5 WCE

People complaining that we have won the spoon cannot actually be serious.

There is 0 difference in the optics of winning 2 games and finishing 17th or 18th.

There is a MASSIVE difference in pick 1 and 2 with what it does for your draft hand and options.
Exactly finishing 17th doesn't make me feel any better about our horrible season.

Its Happening Ron Paul GIF
Noice!!!

We’ve been ‘rebuilding’ for far too long. It’s a cop out. We are historically bad, Fitzroy levels of bad. I don’t give a s**t about draft picks, we need a system to be proud of and a team you want to go and watch.
We won’t get a pick we all want to watch without as much talent as possible.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Bevo is in trouble club had everything to play for the last 2 weeks.
Yes the dogs won a flag a few years ago but with the list that have , they should of won at least 1-2 more .
Undoubtedly the most under achieving football club in the land .
To top it off they have been kissed on the dick by the AFL & weekly by the 4 Maggots (topping the free kick kick count ladder , year after year )….
GGF dogs , go & eat your own s**t now . 🤣

We’ve been ‘rebuilding’ for far too long. It’s a cop out. We are historically bad, Fitzroy levels of bad. I don’t give a s**t about draft picks, we need a system to be proud of and a team you want to go and watch.
Was always going to be a long painful 5 year rebuild as the list was complete puss

The good thing is that theoretically all the assistance package and PPs and compos etc should be independent of one another

In a perfect world we would have our pick for finishing last (#1), an AFL-provided priority pick for being last for three years running (#2), and then a team would offer McKay a contract big enough to trigger band 1 compensation (#3). Whether you get Sanders as well is much of a muchness.

However I think we can all agree there's very little chance of the AFL allowing a team to have all 3 first picks in the draft ever again. What's far more likely in my view at least is that the AFL says OK you have been very bad for a long time. And you are also losing your 25yo KPD. Based on the secret herbs and spices which we won't release, you can have a pick directly after your first which is, by name, a compensation pick for losing McKay, but in reality is an agreed-upon compensatory pick/priority pick hybrid, even if McKay only gets an offer of say $700K from elsewhere

In essence I don't think moving from 17th to 18th changes anything about what we'll get from the league, except that it gives us a chance to draft both Curtin and Reid instead of say Reid and McKercher. It also gives us the leverage that the Eagles had if say Melbourne wanted to trade for #1. Which if we keep it after next week they may not want to do anyway

A league that is all about the optics is not going to have the first non-wooden-spooner live pick be at #5. I withhold the right to be proved wrong and still claim that I am super intelligent if this exact scenario has happened outside of the GWS/GC compromised drafts

#1 NM
#2 GC (matched bid)
#3 NM (priority pick)
#4 NM (compensation pick)
#5 WCE
Agreed. 0% chance of 1, 2 & 3 in my opinion.

I think a good chance of 1, 2 & Sanders.

Reid, Watson/Curtin, Sanders, Edwards would be a great outcome. Add in LDU, Thomas, Larkey, LDU, Wardlaw, Sheezel, George etc. and we have to be able to make something out of it.

Assuming FA & Comp picks:

This is what I'd attempt.

Hold pick 1 & 2

Out:
3, 16

In (GWS):
7, 11, 47, 65

Out:
7, 40, 47, 50, 65

In (GC):
5, 25

Out:
25, F2

In (WB)

Then we hold:

1, 2, 5, 10, 11, 56, 73

Reid
Curtin
McKercher/Watson
O'Sullivan
Schoenmaker/Murphy
Sanders*

I had mixed feelings about the impact on us, but 100% wanted Eagles to beat Western because it is too ******* funny.

Ya know after consecutive spoons a third doesn't worry me. Actually prefer it.
We don't go or watch footy expecting to win. That is all kinds of sad. So I'd rather we controlled the drafts. All *en of them.

Assuming FA & Comp picks:

This is what I'd attempt.

Hold pick 1 & 2

Out:
3, 16

In (GWS):
7, 11, 47, 65

Out:
7, 40, 47, 50, 65

In (GC):
5, 25

Out:
25, F2

In (WB)

Then we hold:

1, 2, 5, 10, 11, 56, 73

Reid
Curtin
McKercher/Watson
O'Sullivan
Schoenmaker/Murphy
Sanders*
I am assuming you see GC trading out pick 7 to someone else? That is no mans land for them with the academy picks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back