NFL 2023 - Off-Season Player Updates/Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I disagree... It's more indicative of his play in 2022. He was nowhere near his best in 2022.

If he was as good this year, as he was in his MVP years, a team wouldn't think twice about giving up 2x 1sts or a 1st and a player if that player is at the top of his game and its its likely it'll tip the scales into a deep playoff run. Even if retirement is a year to year prospect.

The Raiders are not in the position where they're a good QB away from a Superbowl, so I'd be unwilling to give up much for Rodgers. Jets on the other hand, are in a much better position to take that risk, but don't think we'd get that based on his play alone.

It will be very interesting to see what the trade compo is. At a guess id go with something like a swap of firsts this year and a second, along with a conditional second + change next year if he plays.

I think two firsts (conditional or not) is dreamy land stuff for a 40 year old QB who doesnt know if he wants to continue.

I disagree... It's more indicative of his play in 2022. He was nowhere near his best in 2022.

If he was as good this year, as he was in his MVP years, a team wouldn't think twice about giving up 2x 1sts or a 1st and a player if that player is at the top of his game and its its likely it'll tip the scales into a deep playoff run. Even if retirement is a year to year prospect.

The Raiders are not in the position where they're a good QB away from a Superbowl, so I'd be unwilling to give up much for Rodgers. Jets on the other hand, are in a much better position to take that risk, but don't think we'd get that based on his play alone.
I dont think Rodgers suddenly went s**t. He was struggling to get all those rookies up to speed, and multiple injuries keeping them out.

But it's also like this year was him just clocking in and out to get his pay. Plus him wavering with retirement shows a gradual loss of enthusiasm.

But I agree Jets would be the best spot for him, and I bet the Jets are going to make an offer. Just the story/lure of Adams+Rodgers in LV and maybe a Carr swap that might work out better for both teams....like the Lions-Rams trade.

But as always we'll only know when something happens. Always incorrect/false reports. Like Rodgers to Broncos last year for example.

I dont think Rodgers suddenly went s**t. He was struggling to get all those rookies up to speed, and multiple injuries keeping them out.

Don't get me wrong, I think he's capable of one more MVP season, but based on last season, the Packers couldn't ask for much on that basis

But I agree Jets would be the best spot for him, and I bet the Jets are going to make an offer. Just the story/lure of Adams+Rodgers in LV and maybe a Carr swap that might work out better for both teams....like the Lions-Rams trade.

I really can't see us taking Carr in a trade... We've waited years to see what Love can do, and we're not the type of team to bench our starting QB after one or two struggles, so we'd just be getting an overpaid backup QB.

I think it was aussiedude who mentioned Jacobs earlier, may be a possibility given Jones needs to be re-structured or cut (I hope not, but business is business) given his cap number.

BUt yes, as always, a very intriguing off-season is upon us!

But it's also like this year was him just clocking in and out to get his pay. Plus him wavering with retirement shows a gradual loss of enthusiasm.

But as always we'll only know when something happens. Always incorrect/false reports. Like Rodgers to Broncos last year for example.
Rodgers to the Jets would be as effective as Favre to the Jets.

Rodgers still made some throws that only 1 or 2 others can make.
Its hard to know if it was the broken thumb or if he hit that point where its a sharp decline.

Going to be a big price to pay to find out.

Take Brady out of the equation & is rushing out to sign an older QB really that smart of an approach? The huge cost one way or another in cap space, picks or players is looking harder & harder to justify.

100% agree with Rumply, but the media has nailed the two teams who would justify it, Jets and Raiders, both desperate enough to pay up just for the ticket sales alone, both coach's HC careers on the hot seat.

I thought the Raiders would just draft a QB (why im hoping they trade for Rodgers, one less team in front of us not looking to trade up for one), but I guess Josh is feeling the heat or just doesnt trust Levis or Richardson to develop fast enough to save his career.

Jets is more appealing from a talent perspective, but since neither guarantees you playoff success given the divisions and conference they are in he'd be doing it for the money and fun, in which case he likely chooses the state with no income tax over the one with one of the highest and old mate Adams

Going to be a big price to pay to find out.

Take Brady out of the equation & is rushing out to sign an older QB really that smart of an approach? The huge cost one way or another in cap space, picks or players is looking harder & harder to justify.

With how Matt Ryan and Russell Wilson turned out once teams traded for them you have to be crazy to want to trade for aging qb. Then throw in the draft capital it be better spent to move up in draft to take rookie qb. Save a heap of coin and maybe get your qb for next 10 years makes more such sense then thinking a 40 year rodgers is the answer.

Rodgers to the Jets would be as effective as Favre to the Jets.

Jets went 8-3 by week 12 of the season after Favre joined, and Favre threw six touchdowns in a win over Cardinals in week 4. He tore a biceps tendon in his throwing arm and it wasn't diagnosed until after Christmas (probably because Favre refused to tell anyone he had pains in his throwing shoulder until it became unbearable) and that affected his ability to throw. He finished the season 343 of 522 for 3472 yards, 22 touchdowns and 22 interceptions.

It was always going to be a one and done thing with him though. The story is that he really wanted to go to the Vikings and the Packers naturally refused to let him go there, so he went to the Jets for a year to then sign with the Vikings. His first season with Minnesota, he threw 363 for 531 for 4202 yards and passed for 33 touchdowns against seven interceptions. If the Jets could get that from Rodgers in year 1 of his contract, then sign me up.

The Athletic's Jeff Howe writes the Jets don't "intend" to trade Zach Wilson as "there’s hope he can develop while learning more in a backup capacity."​

The Jets are committed to acquiring a big name at the position this year for Wilson to backup, with Howe listing Aaron Rodgers, Jimmy Garoppolo, and Derek Carr as "names to watch." Frankly it would make no sense for the Jets to shop Wilson even if they wanted him off the roster, so it's not all that surprising that this made it out there. The 2021 No. 2 overall pick has not shown anything in two seasons and will need to be rebuilt from the ground up if he's going to be a starter in the NFL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tampa Bay Times' Rick Stroud believes OT Donovan Smith could be a cap casualty this offseason for the Buccaneers.​

The Bucs are in dire straits against the cap, currently $55 million over before they resolve the Tom Brady retirement. It's possible that they push some of it into 2024, which would bring the cap number down to a more manageable number. Smith did not play well last season while playing through an elbow hyperextension, and Stroud notes that the team could move Tristan Wirfs to left tackle. Cutting Smith would free up $9.95 million, and cutting him with a June 1 designation could free up $15.25 million. He's by far the easiest of Tampa's big-salary players to move on from.

The Athletic's Daniel Popper believes a contract extension for Justin Herbert will "get done this offseason."​

"The earlier the Chargers get this deal done, the better. Quarterback contracts are only going to keep increasing in value. Herbert, meanwhile, will get a sizable signing bonus as soon as he signs the deal," Popper writes. He estimates that negotiations for Herbert could start at $50 million in AAV, and throws out the idea that Herbert could become the first NFL player to sign a contract with a total value of $500 million. It makes all the sense in the world for the Chargers to get this deal done sooner rather than later, as the cap will only continue to rise, but it'll be curious to see if the guaranteed money becomes a sticking point as it has for Lamar Jackson.

The Athletic's Daniel Popper believes Gerald Everett is a "likely" cap casualty for the Chargers this offseason.​

Cutting Everett would free up $4.25 million against a Chargers offseason line that starts with them over the cap by $23.4 million. Everett played his best game in Los Angeles' stunning collapse against the Jaguars, going off for 6/109/1. He turns 29 in June and would probably find a starting job elsewhere if let go. Popper regards tight end as a weakness for the team, noting that Donald Parham played only six games last season and that Tre' McKitty took a step back. It's possible that tight end is an early draft target for the Chargers if they release Everett.

The Athletic's Daniel Popper lists Keenan Allen as one of the "most likely" cuts for the Chargers this offseason.​

Allen would save $14.8 million in cap space if released, which is huge for a team that currently looks to be $23.43 million over the cap. It's still a bit of a surprise even after Allen missed a large portion of this season with hamstring issues, as his play hasn't slowed down much. But the Chargers don't appear to have a slew of options after their offseason spending spree in 2022, and may need to attack a few of the bigger figures on their roster. It's also plausible that Allen could be asked to take a pay cut. Off a 66/752/4 season in just 10 games, a few of which he was clearly still playing hurt in, Allen would be a popular free agent if he makes it to the market.

ESPN's Marcel Louis-Jacques writes Miami could save $13.6 million in cap space by releasing Byron Jones with a post-June 1 designation.​

It's not too hard to connect the dots here after Jones missed the entirety of the season with an ankle injury that initially sent him to PUP. Jones turns 31 in September and the Dolphins had to break in new cornerbacks due to his injury. Miami, currently $16 million above the projected salary cap per Over The Cap, will need to make some tough choices. Jones might be an easy decision in comparison.

ESPN's Jeremy Fowler writes the Ravens and Lamar Jackson "could possibly be" $100 million apart in contract talks over how much guaranteed money should be in his contract.​

Fowler quotes an executive as saying "And it could become a standoff, because I wouldn't expect him to sign the tag for a while ... And they will be so far apart in the guaranteed money." Lamar Jackson's contract figures to be one of the NFL's premiere offseason sagas even after the Ravens tried to throw cold water on it during a presser in January. Deshaun Watson's fully-guaranteed contract is a massive outlier born of his leverage via a no-trade clause and several teams pursuing him, but it's possible that Jackson gets a large portion of his deal guaranteed from the Ravens or from a team that trades for him.

The Athletic's Jeff Howe writes the Jets don't "intend" to trade Zach Wilson as "there’s hope he can develop while learning more in a backup capacity."​

The Jets are committed to acquiring a big name at the position this year for Wilson to backup, with Howe listing Aaron Rodgers, Jimmy Garoppolo, and Derek Carr as "names to watch." Frankly it would make no sense for the Jets to shop Wilson even if they wanted him off the roster, so it's not all that surprising that this made it out there. The 2021 No. 2 overall pick has not shown anything in two seasons and will need to be rebuilt from the ground up if he's going to be a starter in the NFL.

The proof will be in the pudding. If the Jets acquire Jimmy G or Derek Carr, then it will be sayonara Zach. If they acquire Rodgers, then there's a chance that Wilson could stick around as a backup for a couple of years then be in contention to take over as the starter if Rodgers retires after two years.

They will be expecting Carr to get cut and sign him to a cheap deal.

but how the saints get there will be interesting.
Carr is the 2018 Kirk Cousins... Hit the market and find gold in his next team with neverending short term huge money deals that they can't move on from.

He might take a small cut next year, but he's not going to sign a 20m a year average.

Just discontinue the pro bowl already

Not while there is still money in it.

the NFL should just take over one of the college all star games and run that over the off weekend. or move the Hall of Fame and awards show to this weekend.

ESPN's Jeremy Fowler writes the Ravens and Lamar Jackson "could possibly be" $100 million apart in contract talks over how much guaranteed money should be in his contract.​

Fowler quotes an executive as saying "And it could become a standoff, because I wouldn't expect him to sign the tag for a while ... And they will be so far apart in the guaranteed money." Lamar Jackson's contract figures to be one of the NFL's premiere offseason sagas even after the Ravens tried to throw cold water on it during a presser in January. Deshaun Watson's fully-guaranteed contract is a massive outlier born of his leverage via a no-trade clause and several teams pursuing him, but it's possible that Jackson gets a large portion of his deal guaranteed from the Ravens or from a team that trades for him.
Unless Lamar's demands have increased or the Ravens offer has decreased, there is no way that they are $100m apart. Lamar himself has said they weren't that far apart in the past, and you can't get much closer to the source than the player that is also acting as his own agent.

TBH I don't believe much of what is speculated about this negotiation because the usual "sources" (i.e. agents feeding talking points to insiders) don't exist in this situation, and the Ravens FO is notoriously quiet

The Browns kinda f**ked up the plans for teams by giving Watson that deal. because most teams have multiple cap sheets planed for years ahead with what they expect players to earn or what it will cost to bring in a FA at positions of need.

the WR market also got reset last FA period.

But Feb/March is like the playoffs for player agents and leaking stuff to reporters.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back