Preview 2023 Round 17 – GWS Giants vs Hawthorn, Saturday, July 8, 4:35 PM AEST, @Giants Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Well, wasn't that just a Dee-lightful Dee-molition of Melbourne at their home away from home, Alice Springs. The Orange Tsunami wasn't really seen - too much fog and rain - but there was plenty of grit and determination. In all seriousness, the conditions made the game really difficult, and while realistically you could say that Melbourne were unfortunate not to win due to their lack of goal-kicking accuracy, that really doesn't do justice to the effort that the Giants' players put in. It's the only time a team coming off the bye has won against a team that wasn't coming off a bye; Melbourne are a top 4 team and Giants were bottom 4 until a couple of weeks ago; we got smashed in virtually every statistic in the game - yet were still there and thereabouts at the end. And as the saying goes, bad kicking is bad footy.

Tom Green had a huge game in the wet, and provided a huge amount of contested possession. Josh Kelly continued his sublime run of form - he actually does get a lot of contested ball (12, behind only Green with 16 in this game) - but then has the outside game to launch us into attack. And kick monster 60m goals to win the game. The defenders were immense - Sam Taylor and Nick Haynes provided an intercepting masterclass, with 25 between them. There were other outstanding efforts across the park; from Callum Brown, to Toby Bedford, to Xavier O'Halloran, to HH being huge in the D50 counterattack.

So, on to next week, and it's the preferred slot of 4.35 pm Saturday for the game against Hawthorn. We're on the run home now, with a sniff of hope to make finals. I hope that a huge crowd turns up to support us in a game that is eminently winnable. The Hawks gave us a massive scare in Gather Round, but they have been soundly been the past two weeks while missing James Sicily, and unfortunately for them he's out for this match too. So, if the weather is kind, and fine, it gives Adam Kingsley the perfect opportunity to get our running game going. Given that the team won today, you would expect very few changes. However, Whitfield will be back from suspension, and hopefully Binga Daniels might be back too. I would hope that they bring those guys back in, but you'd have to ask how they fit them in.

Down the back is still a conundrum with HH and Haynes effectively vying for the same spot; adding Whitfield back into the mix just adds to that pressure. I still believe that Keeffe should not be in the team when we're almost at full strength. Personally, I'd put HH back up front, and go back to the defensive 7 set-up from early in the season. Binga for Lloyd up front seems a no-brainer, if the former returns from injury. I would even go for a two-KPD forward line - Hogan and Riccardi - and maximise the small forward in preference to keeping Keeffe.

Anyway, we'll see on Thursday how AK plans to go about it. What it does do is keep the pressure on for everyone to perform, because everyone's playing well, executing AK's gameplan, and few injuries to allow the easy-in.

How are you seeing the likely team changes this week?

Haynes Taylor idun
Ash Buckley Whitfield
Callaghan Kelly Cumming
Greene Riccardi Brown
Snooze Hogan Daniels/Lloyd
Briggs Green Cogs

HH XOH Perryman Ward

Sub: Angwin

Wouldn't be at all surprised if it's a slow start then a hard slog for a narrow, perhaps 2 goal win.

Players understandably looked physically (and some emotionally) spent at the final siren yesterday.

Looks like it will be a dry track on Saturday night so hopefully the game is tsunami-laden.

All depends on how well the players have recovered.

Agree with:
In: Whitfield, Out: Keefe (HH / Riccardi to part-time ruck??)
In: Daniels (if recovered), Out: Lloyd (Lloyd to sub in place of Angwin)

In: Whitfield, Daniels (if fit)
Out: Keeffe, Lloyd

If Binga is indeed fit this is the healthiest we have been in years I’m guessing?
Hawks have been playing 2 proper, but less mobile rucks lately ... don't want to give them any clearance advantage (althought I think our mids beat theirs regardless). I see Keeffe as having a role still and just replace LLoyd with Whits. Daniels sub

I think there is no way HH goes back forward unless there is an injury mid game now for the rest of the season.

I agree with the Keefe/Lloyd out for Whitfield/Daniels

I would say the backline conundrum would be solved by rotating players such as Whitfield/ash/Haynes through the wing

I think there is no way HH goes back forward unless there is an injury mid game now for the rest of the season.

I agree with the Keefe/Lloyd out for Whitfield/Daniels

I would say the backline conundrum would be solved by rotating players such as Whitfield/ash/Haynes through the wing

100% on this!

First game we could have our best on the park in more than 7 years!!!!!!!

6 day break after the exhausting slog. Hope we’re fresh enough to bring the pressure game. Binga, Bedford and Brown up front with the ball on the deck has me frothing…

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is Daniels ready to go?
I'd definitely bring him in if he's ready to go but if we are playing it safe and saving him for Adelaide then it's a harder proposition...

Is Daniels ready to go?
I'd definitely bring him in if he's ready to go but if we are playing it safe and saving him for Adelaide then it's a harder proposition...
apparently he was close for last week, so guessing so

Having Whitfield on one wing with Callaghan on the other is enticing. There’s a lot to be said for right foot and left foot who can kick infield across their body - real weapon.

Also did you hear in the commentary last week…. Did they say Callaghan is 95kgs? Also, he is the best in the club on the rowing machine (big tank).

Having Whitfield on one wing with Callaghan on the other is enticing. There’s a lot to be said for right foot and left foot who can kick infield across their body - real weapon.

Also did you hear in the commentary last week…. Did they say Callaghan is 95kgs? Also, he is the best in the club on the rowing machine (big tank).
that was Callum Brown who is 95kg and best on the rowing machine

The more I think about it, the more I'm inclined to give Daniels one more week to recover.

At the most, play him as sub.

Why risk a player with known hamstring issues against a team that we should beat with the players currently on the field?

The balance of the team still worries me a bit if Keefe is dropped. Are we going in too short? HH and Riccardi not having to ruck has been a bonus too.

So, right now:

With Daniels playing:
In: Whitfield, Out: Lloyd (XOH to start forward, Cumming to the bench)
In: Daniels as sub, Out: Angwin
(Bench: Cumming, Keefe, HH, Ward)

Without Daniels playing:
In: Whitfield, Out: Angwin (Cumming to sub)
(Bench: Keefe, HH, Ward, XOH)

If I recall correctly Kelly in his last post-match interview spoke on how the team was playing so well as each player had a role and playing that role was the team plan.

So I can see the logic of Daniels for Lloyd, being we bring a smaller goal kicking pressure forward i.e. like for like same role.

But Whitfield for Keeffe? Keefe's role since after Geelong has been big forward/alternating ruck. If Whitfield comes in for him, with Whitfield either going back to defence or the wing, then the role replacement for Keeffe would seem to fall on HH (or even Riccardi if HH goes forward); a change most here seem to think wrong with it better to keep HH in defence.

Perhaps it is more probable that Whitefield comes in for Cumming who becomes sub instead of Angwin. If Keeffe goes out on form, which goes against changing a winning team, it would seem more probable a similar player to fulfil the same role would be chosen.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back