Preview 2023 Round 17 – GWS Giants vs Hawthorn, Saturday, July 8, 4:35 PM AEST, @Giants Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

I hope we can crack 10k for this game.
Fans are optimistic, the time is family friendly, weather should be ideal, oppo supporters should still show up.
All the Agletts are coming this week for the first time this year.
I wish wish wish we could be there but we're leaving town for school holidays

If I recall correctly Kelly in his last post-match interview spoke on how the team was playing so well as each player had a role and playing that role was the team plan.

So I can see the logic of Daniels for Lloyd, being we bring a smaller goal kicking pressure forward i.e. like for like same role.

But Whitfield for Keeffe? Keefe's role since after Geelong has been big forward/alternating ruck. If Whitfield comes in for him, with Whitfield either going back to defence or the wing, then the role replacement for Keeffe would seem to fall on HH (or even Riccardi if HH goes forward); a change most here seem to think wrong with it better to keep HH in defence.

Perhaps it is more probable that Whitefield comes in for Cumming who becomes sub instead of Angwin. If Keeffe goes out on form, which goes against changing a winning team, it would seem more probable a similar player to fulfil the same role would be chosen.
I don't see any issue with HH chopping out in the ruck. We're getting 75% game time out of Briggs at the moment, and if Harry goes to the ruck it gets him and around the ball, basically as an extra mid which is valuable with his kicking skills. The defence isn't really weakened either as you have Taylor, Idun and Buckley as the true lockdown defenders, then Haynes, Cumming, Ash still back there as rebounders or interceptors.

Keeffe has done a job for us, but realistically he offers very little when playing as a KFP. Two talls (Jake, Jesse), two mediums (Brown,Greene) and the small pressure forwards in Bedford, XO and Daniels seem like a great combination to me (with Lloyd on standby should Daniels not get up for this week).

Either way it's actually great to have this selection headache for once instead of having to dig deep into our list and picking someone who isn't ready. :)

I don't see any issue with HH chopping out in the ruck. We're getting 75% game time out of Briggs at the moment, and if Harry goes to the ruck it gets him and around the ball, basically as an extra mid which is valuable with his kicking skills. The defence isn't really weakened either as you have Taylor, Idun and Buckley as the true lockdown defenders, then Haynes, Cumming, Ash still back there as rebounders or interceptors.

Keeffe has done a job for us, but realistically he offers very little when playing as a KFP. Two talls (Jake, Jesse), two mediums (Brown,Greene) and the small pressure forwards in Bedford, XO and Daniels seem like a great combination to me (with Lloyd on standby should Daniels not get up for this week).

Either way it's actually great to have this selection headache for once instead of having to dig deep into our list and picking someone who isn't ready. :)
I agree.
We look much better with Harry in the ruck than with keefe in the ruck.

I hope we can crack 10k for this game.
Fans are optimistic, the time is family friendly, weather should be ideal, oppo supporters should still show up.
All the Agletts are coming this week for the first time this year.
20 degrees and sunny forecast for Saturday (albeit a little cooler at 4.30pm). Should be a bumper crowd after three wins in a row and playing Hawks who have plenty of Sydney-based fans.

All good points and nothing there which I would disagree with; as always it will come down to the balance now that we seem to be in such a great position re availability.

Depends if Himmelberg and Riccardi going into the ruck affects their performance in their no 1 positions. I can a world where that is the case and Kingsley doesn't want them chopping out. Keefe becomes the sacrificial lamb and probably is doing a lot of decoy running or filling space at a forward. Another damaging player on the ground would be better though imo.

Depends if Himmelberg and Riccardi going into the ruck affects their performance in their no 1 positions. I can a world where that is the case and Kingsley doesn't want them chopping out. Keefe becomes the sacrificial lamb and probably is doing a lot of decoy running or filling space at a forward. Another damaging player on the ground would be better though imo.
HH does a good job as 2nd ruck. Has faster feet than Riccardi.. better follow up… better decision maker with better hands.

I get that but it's not my point. Is it reducing his effectiveness or flow in the backline?
I think it’s fine given that Whitfield, Cumming and Ash are all playing as well. Sometimes you have to make those sacrifices for the betterment of the team (like Port have had to do with Finlayson rucking at times even though he’s more effective playing forward).

Wouldn't be at all surprised if it's a slow start then a hard slog for a narrow, perhaps 2 goal win.

Players understandably looked physically (and some emotionally) spent at the final siren yesterday.

That's the biggest risk, switching off. Injuries notwithstanding, mental preparation will determine how long the season lasts.

On the plus side we're much more comfortable with the game plan.

The selection headache is real

Personally I don’t mind HH as the chop out ruck. Reminds me a little of what Finlayson does at port. It’s a much faster and more agile look for the midfield

GREATER WESTERN SYDNEY

In:
L.Whitfield
Out: N.Haynes (sub), R.Angwin (sub)

R16 sub: Ryan Angwin

:eek:

No Binga this week.

All Australian and two-time Kevin Sheedy Medallist Lachie Whitfield returns to the GIANTS’ side to take on Hawthorn at GIANTS Stadium on Saturday afternoon.

The 28-year-old comes back into the 22 after missing last week’s win over the Demons while serving a one-match suspension. Whitfield has missed only one other match this year and is averaging more than 26 disposals and six marks this season, playing across half-back. He’s the only change to the side that defeated top-four team Melbourne in Alice Springs last Sunday.

Defender Nick Haynes, who has also played on the wing this season, will be the sub for Saturday’s twilight clash at GIANTS Stadium.

Team:

FB: Jack Buckley, Sam Taylor, Isaac Cumming
HB: Lachie Ash, Harry Himmelberg, Lachie Whitfield
C: Josh Kelly, Harry Perryman, Finn Callaghan
HF: Daniel Lloyd, Jake Riccardi, Toby Bedford
FF: Xavier O’Halloran, Jesse Hogan, Toby Greene
RR: Kieren Briggs, Tom Green, Stephen Coniglio

Interchange: Callum Brown, Callan Ward, Connor Idun, Lachlan Keeffe

In: Lachie Whitfield

Out: Nick Haynes (to sub)

Emergencies: Nick Haynes, Ryan Angwin, Matt Flynn, Jacob Wehr

(Log in to remove this ad.)

GREATER WESTERN SYDNEY

In:
L.Whitfield
Out: N.Haynes (sub), R.Angwin (sub)

R16 sub: Ryan Angwin

:eek:

No Binga this week.

All Australian and two-time Kevin Sheedy Medallist Lachie Whitfield returns to the GIANTS’ side to take on Hawthorn at GIANTS Stadium on Saturday afternoon.

The 28-year-old comes back into the 22 after missing last week’s win over the Demons while serving a one-match suspension. Whitfield has missed only one other match this year and is averaging more than 26 disposals and six marks this season, playing across half-back. He’s the only change to the side that defeated top-four team Melbourne in Alice Springs last Sunday.

Defender Nick Haynes, who has also played on the wing this season, will be the sub for Saturday’s twilight clash at GIANTS Stadium.

Team:

FB: Jack Buckley, Sam Taylor, Isaac Cumming
HB: Lachie Ash, Harry Himmelberg, Lachie Whitfield
C: Josh Kelly, Harry Perryman, Finn Callaghan
HF: Daniel Lloyd, Jake Riccardi, Toby Bedford
FF: Xavier O’Halloran, Jesse Hogan, Toby Greene
RR: Kieren Briggs, Tom Green, Stephen Coniglio

Interchange: Callum Brown, Callan Ward, Connor Idun, Lachlan Keeffe

In: Lachie Whitfield

Out: Nick Haynes (to sub)

Emergencies: Nick Haynes, Ryan Angwin, Matt Flynn, Jacob Wehr
wow
thought he was terrific last week.

Wonder if it is a little of giving him a rest as well

wow
thought he was terrific last week.

Wonder if it is a little of giving him a rest as well
I have said previously that HH and Haynes were effectively competing for the same position. Hidden a bit by sticking Haynes on a wing during Cumming's & Whitfield's absences.

20 degrees and sunny forecast for Saturday (albeit a little cooler at 4.30pm). Should be a bumper crowd after three wins in a row and playing Hawks who have plenty of Sydney-based fans.
I think we are on track to get the first 10k crowd at Giants stadium since the September 2019 final against the doggies. It’s also the last designated Recruit match for the year, so that should boost our attendance. In any case, the next Giant Stadium game is vs the Swans, so we’ll definitely get well over 10k then

We are very strong favourites and the market has us at $1.14 (Hawthorn are $5.50). In front of our home crowd, and playing well with Kingsley’s game plan, we should win vs the Hawks. If so that makes it 4 wins in a row - the equal fourth winning streak in our entire history!

We have a tough draw coming up,
List of teams I see as on the same level.
Carlton, WBD, Swans, Suns are no push overs,
Both Adelaide games will be tough but I think if we can handle the crows we will really start to believe.
I don't see Finals as the marker this year. It was all about development and restructuring the team..
HOWEVER...it would be pretty cool, if we could make the 8 I think the teams in that bottom half are all beatable

We have a tough draw coming up,
List of teams I see as on the same level.
Carlton, WBD, Swans, Suns are no push overs,
Both Adelaide games will be tough but I think if we can handle the crows we will really start to believe.
I don't see Finals as the marker this year. It was all about development and restructuring the team..
HOWEVER...it would be pretty cool, if we could make the 8 I think the teams in that bottom half are all beatable
A few of the teams around or just above us play each other as well, which is helpful.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back