Preview 2023 Round 21 – GWS Giants v Sydney Swans, Saturday August 5, 7.30pm AEST, Giants Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
That thrilling win against the Bulldogs at Mars Stadium set records for the Giants: longest winning run in our short history (7), & biggest comeback win (35 points). It also solidified GWS in the lower half of the top 8 - for the moment - but every game is critical until the season's end, with a logjam of teams trying to squeeze in. Across state at Marvel Stadium, the Swans did us a small favour by holding off Essendon, and setting up what should be another mouth-watering Sydney derby next weekend. The team was off-kilter in the first half, but got the tsunami rolling in the second half. How superb has our defensive unit been, led by Sam Taylor, but each one performing their role? Every week, when the midfield is off, it's Taylor who takes control at the back, stemming the tide of inside 50s preventing a blowout score, and allowing the team to settle and get back into it.

Adam Kingsley seems to have got the boys in a good mental state, with several comeback wins during the season, so I will trust that we won't be complacent going into this game - because we shouldn't be. The winner of the derby has often not been the form team. If we can manage to win this game, we will be so close to locking in a finals spot - so that's an enormous bonus for winning. Adam said that we had no injuries out of that game, so the main questions on the team will be who's available to return? Hopefully, Tom Green is over his injury, because we certainly got beaten up in the stoppage battle yesterday. We also looked bereft up forward, until the running game clicked in, so Jesse Hogan would be a bonus to return. Otherwise, it's Nick Haynes' 200th game - surely we can't celebrate a legend of the club by making him sub for that milestone game? I am still perplexed by Lachie Keeffe's selection as second ruck-cum-forward (no matter how good a guy he is). Surely, with Sydney running a makeshift ruckman in Hayden McLean, we don't need Keeffe.

For Sydney, they have one or two injury worries. Buddy looked to have tweaked a hammy against the Bombers, so would be under a cloud. This surely would have been his swansong in derby games, so I was looking forward to seeing him in action one last time (hopefully not kicking goals, though!). The other issue from their game was Dane Rampe, whose absence in defence sparked the Bombers' comeback, and will create a headache to replace. Otherwise, the danger men will be the usual suspects from the Swans.

Team changes. Given the last medical report, I will assume that Hogan is still a week away. I hope that Green is available. Assuming we're not going to make Haynes as the sub, I'd swap him in for Keeffe, and make him a defensive forward sitting on Blakey to kill his counterattack. If Hogan does get up, then, he returns in place of Cadman. Personally, I'd still give Cadman a rest and give Derksen an opportunity. I know that I'm a broken record, and AK is happy with what Cadman's doing, but for mine there's an opportunity to see if someone else can provide more - which we should do before we arrive at finals. To return Green to the team, I would think that Lloyd is the most likely to make way, even though he's doing a solid job. Less likely in my opinion would be Ryan Angwin, but probably the second most likely.

As Toby says, we're taking one game at a time. But we certainly need to win this game to continue to lock in a finals spot.

What are your thoughts?

Last edited:
Good preview, thanks. The way our team is currently playing, we should be feeling (relatively) confident. The market also has us as favourites at $1.73 (Swans are $2.12).

This is our 26th match against Sydney, and whilst we have an overall 10-15 losing record, at Giants Stadium we have a 3-3 record. It’s also the first time we will be playing against Sydney at Giants Stadium since our 2019 derby, and hopefully the crowd will be close to the 20k mark than 15k. Hoping that Haynes 200th game will see us win, and deal a devastating blow to the Swans final prospects at the same time!

I think we are are bviously a better team than when we played sydney earlier in the year, they are in reasonable form, injuries are not so bad. Both teams probably missing 2-3 best 22 players.
We should win, thought we would be slightly stronger favourites actually.
I hope Hogan can play, but if not I agree Haynes on Blakey seems a good idea.

Green for Angwin/Cumming whoever misses out would be sub
Hogan for Keefe/Cadman I’d be inclined to keep Cadman. He is doing things that don’t get him a stat that leads directly to goals, particularly in creating a contest.

Haynes took that one really good mark at the end but didn’t do enough to force his way into the 22.

Swans will be missing buddy and possibly Rampe. So we should be able to extend our winning run. Just red to send Ward to Parker so he doesn’t win his 6th Brett Kirk medal.

why would you have a guy playing his 200th milestone game - at home no less - start as the sub?
The team is playing effectively as it is. The back line is working well.

Our problems are more in the middle, and up front. Using Haynes as the sub has worked well.

Ultimately, it's up to Kingsley. If he thinks Haynes a good fit for the Swans, he'll be selected.

In Adam we trust.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do you dream about Cadman? It’s verging in animus
No. I just want our best team selected. I am not calling for him to be dropped, Kingsley did that, not me. If Keath/Bruce don't get injured, we lose against Bulldogs, Kingsley admitted as much.
If we had lost ( say 2 less goals, so 73 to 66, with a good comeback in 3rd,4th qtrs), then why?
Our key forwards would be the reason, they where way below AFL finals contending team standard. That's why we must pick if we can better players ( at this stage in their careers, Cads will improve and Keefe had dropped a bit with age, injury).

We need to convince the team we are down by 6 goals before the game begins so we can be play well from the start. 🤷🏼‍♂️
Starts aren’t great, need the fix this, they’ll come out firing and p1ss3d at what happened earlier this season.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

If it were up to me I'd keep the changes as simple as possible.

In: Green, Hogan
Out: Angwin, Cadman
Sub: Haynes

We have a lot of players that can shift their play to the outside to cover Angwin's loss and Green will give us that midfield grunt that we're lacking a little at the moment. Hogan for Cadman is a no-brainer for me if he's fit. I would keep Keeffe in though, I really like what he does for our structure with his 2nd ruck/tall fwd role.

I know it's Haynes' 200th game but I wouldn't want to see us miss out on a win due to sentimentality, not when we're this close (but by no means guaranteed) to getting a finals berth. They can still chair him off after the game just as easily if he's the sub.

If it were up to me I'd keep the changes as simple as possible.

In: Green, Hogan
Out: Angwin, Cadman
Sub: Haynes

We have a lot of players that can shift their play to the outside to cover Angwin's loss and Green will give us that midfield grunt that we're lacking a little at the moment. Hogan for Cadman is a no-brainer for me if he's fit. I would keep Keeffe in though, I really like what he does for our structure with his 2nd ruck/tall fwd role.

I know it's Haynes' 200th game but I wouldn't want to see us miss out on a win due to sentimentality, not when we're this close (but by no means guaranteed) to getting a finals berth. They can still chair him off after the game just as easily if he's the sub.
If Hogan is available, he comes straight in.

I suspect you are right that Angwin comes out, but I wonder if he has done enough, he works so hard particularly getting back in defence that he may have done enough. Im starting to see some real good signs from Angwin.

If Hogan is available, he comes straight in.

I suspect you are right that Angwin comes out, but I wonder if he has done enough, he works so hard particularly getting back in defence that he may have done enough. Im starting to see some real good signs from Angwin.
One of my favourite things this year has been seeing Angwin emerge as a really solid player. He'll be a little stiff to miss out but I think that's how we get our best team on the field. He has a bright future ahead of him though.

One of my favourite things this year has been seeing Angwin emerge as a really solid player. He'll be a little stiff to miss out but I think that's how we get our best team on the field. He has a bright future ahead of him though.
Yeah I'd play him ahead of Lloyd. Tough though coz they are probably on even footing right now with Lloyd having more experience in big games.

I think buddy retiring might give their team a lift , hard to tell. A danger game, but both sides have a 7 day break. I think unless we kick very inaccurately we should win, especially if Tom Green is close to his best. Swans midfield just isn't playing as well as last year.

For anyone travelling to the game via Train the Sydney Trains website is advising buses are replacing trains between Lidcombe and Olympic Park on game day. Looks like buses or parking will be the only options (or a nice swim down the Parramatta River 🤣)
Thanks for the heads-up.
Trust Sydney Trains to schedule this on our biggest home game...
The bus trip is not that long - it's the lining up and squashing into overfilled buses that sucks.

For anyone travelling to the game via Train the Sydney Trains website is advising buses are replacing trains between Lidcombe and Olympic Park on game day. Looks like buses or parking will be the only options (or a nice swim down the Parramatta River 🤣)

Thanks for the heads up

Here's the Transport for NSW event info page - AFL: GWS Giants v Sydney Swans and summary below:

Important Travel Advice​

Fans are encouraged to plan their trip and consider all the available travel options ahead of time.

Please note, due to planned weekend trackwork buses replace trains between Lidcombe and Olympic Park. Consider driving with your group to the match. It's essential you pre-booking your parking online to secure a space as parking will be in high demand with other events taking place in the precinct – available until 11:59pm the night before the event or until sold out.

If traveling by train, you'll need to change at Lidcombe for a rail replacement bus to complete your journey. Rail replacement buses will be busy so allow plenty of additional travel time – plan ahead using the Trip Planner. You'll need to use an Opal card or contactless payment card/device when travelling on public transport to and from the event. Register your details online at Opal or via the app ahead of time.

Traffic will be heavier than usual on roads around the precinct as Cirque du Soleil takes place at various times throughout the evening at neighbouring Qudos Bank Arena

Looks like another event is also on at Qudos Bank Arena. If I recall correctly, a couple weeks back when an NRL game was on they re-started the trains for the NRL game and had them running until after the Giants game. Really wish they did that for this weekend also.

There may be some operational reasons why they're unable to restart the trains this time around but would be much more preferrable for our biggest game of the year at Giants Stadium.

Just checked, replacement buses run every 3 minutes in both directions from Lidcombe station to Sydney Olympic Park on Saturday so it's not too bad.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back